Seal Team Six

trophyhunter

For those of you that were Navy Seals, or still are.Why would the Military advertise the team number that took out Bin Laden.I thought that in fear of Possible Retaililations agaisnt them they would have kept that a secret.

"seal team six" is a unit designator just like 1/502 PIR it just tells you the unit it doesn't give you the identity of the people in it

Ok thats good. I was just curious wouldn't want some crazed terroist to find out who there are and seek revenge on their Families. Thanks

I read after the bin Laden killing that the SEALs themselves were worried about too much publicity being given to them. The more publicity they get, the more information that can be garnered about their identities and their families. Such a highly specialized unit as this does not need to have their safety compromised nor their mission used as a political tool. From now on, leave off the numerical indicator and just use the term "SEALs." Just let it be known the BGs were killed by SEALs! God bless them all.

I don't think that "Seal Team Six" really exists anymore anyway under that designation. If I remember right they were rolled into a specialized division that also includes US Army Delta and some other units. This was done a while ago - well before the Bin Laden raid.

Interesting factoid - when "Seal Team Six" was started there were only two other Seal teams - 1 and 2. Marcinko called them "Seal Team Six" to confuse the Soviet Union about how many teams really existed.

God Bless our Seals. I still don't believe he was really taken out at that time. Nothing adds up. Mac Daddy thought his ratings would go ballistic. So much for that ideal...lets see what other scheme can be concocted to make the Sheeple beleive.

Giving a unit designation and credit for their accomplishments does not compromise members personal identities, or further unit missions. Giving out identities of team members would be a whole other issue. OTOH, what type of a massive thinking error is it when someone decides to go after the families of these operators? Can you imagine that conversation? Hey, I know, lets jack around with some SEAL team members families. After that we'll go after the families of those Delta force pansies. What could possibly go wrong?
MR

SEAL Team Six, was more or less a designator for the unit of SEALS at the time, great code name and the so called team was supposedly interviewed and met with obievil. This was a great moral booster for all Americans, especially those with loved ones lost during 911. This team will go down in history as SEAL Team Six and the great mission accomplished. The secrecy that was kept by the very limited that knew of this mission. This was better than the secrecy by the Russians when Bulgaria, the German Democratic Republic (East Germany), Hungary, Poland, and the Soviet Union--invaded Czechoslovakia. Approximately 500,000 troops, mostly from the Soviet Union, poured across the borders in a blitzkrieg-like advance, and never broke radio silence.

My salute goes out to all military personal serving or has served this great nation to keep our Freedom.

God Bless our Seals. I still don't believe he was really taken out at that time. Nothing adds up. Mac Daddy thought his ratings would go ballistic. So much for that ideal...lets see what other scheme can be concocted to make the Sheeple beleive.

I also have my doubts about the timing of the whole thing especially after a conversation with someone in Naval Intelligence stationed in Iraq. Lets just say that the speed of obtaining DNA results and some other interesting tidbits would make Abby and Jethro on NCIS take a second look.

Giving a unit designation and credit for their accomplishments does not compromise members personal identities, or further unit missions. Giving out identities of team members would be a whole other issue. OTOH, what type of a massive thinking error is it when someone decides to go after the families of these operators? Can you imagine that conversation? Hey, I know, lets jack around with some SEAL team members families. After that we'll go after the families of those Delta force pansies. What could possibly go wrong?
MR

Gee, someone has been living with their head in the sand. Muslim extremists are in this country and in and around military installations as well as major cities. Getting information about units, then individual members, etc. is not an impossible task. Secrets do not have a very long shelf life and the SEALs know that. That is why they expressed some worry about all the publicity they were getting. There is no error in thinking that extremists would target families. Can you imagine what a coup that would be for the ragheads? They kill indiscriminately just for the hell of it. The error would be in thinking something like that could not happen. Those people are an ungodly bunch and do not think like we do and, in case you haven't noticed, they hate Americans. I am not so naive as to think we are completely safe here anymore, that is why I carry a gun, to protect my family from bad guys of whatever nationality or ethnicity. And, just as an afterthought, I wouldn't advise ever calling a SEAL or Delta Force member a pansy. OORAH.

This thread is funny. If there are any former or current SO's on this board please chime in with the appropriate response.

As in STFU !!!

Ropadope,
Explain to me please,What is so Damn FUNNY concerning my original post.It was an Serious Question. With real Concerns. With all the Media Coverage,Im honestly concerned for the Families of these Great men who completed that task.So I find nothing funny about it, and I do not believe any of those seals would think It was, or is FUNNY...

Not a SEAL, just a US Marine, but just like we prefer to have a capital "M" in front of Marine, it is written SEAL. So please give them the respect of typing their title correctly. A seal is any of numerous carnivorous marine mammals (families Phocidae and Otariidae) that live chiefly in cold regions and have limbs modified into webbed flippers adapted primarily to swimming; especially : a fur seal or hair seal as opposed to a sea lion. A SEAL is a US Navy Special Operations Warrior. The tag SEAL comes fro Sea Air Land where they are trained to fight. As for the rest, SEAL Team 6 as a name does not exist an more. It is now called DEVGRU. (A simple web search will come up with that unclassified information) DEVGRU is the counter-terrorism unit of the SEALs although all are trained in the work. Beyond that, I believe only someone who has earned their trident should comment and knowing OPSEC and PERSEC I highly doubt they would ad any more to this.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back