Say What? Harley introduces electric bike

longslide10

Well there goes the neighborhood. All I can say or do is SMFH.

Link Removed

I can just see a burly biker pulling to a biker bar on one!! :rolleyes:

He better be about 6'10", go about 350 and look like a pro wrestler or else he ain't leavin'.....at least with any dignity. Electric bikes may have a future at resorts as rentals or city commuters but I don't see them as a replacement for gas engine bikes.

He better be about 6'10", go about 350 and look like a pro wrestler or else he ain't leavin'.....at least with any dignity. Electric bikes may have a future at resorts as rentals or city commuters but I don't see them as a replacement for gas engine bikes.

That's the market I see them going after. There are only so many bikers and rich or retired wannabes to go around and support the company. But, bike use is HUGE is other countries as a less expensive way of commuting to work and other places. There have also been some very good studies on the damage the constant roar in major cities does to ones hearing; not to mention the air pollution. (Then of course, there is the price of gas and the growing threat against oil reserves.)

Time will tell if this was a good move. But, I can't see this catching on anywhere but the areas you listed- resort areas and populated metro areas.

-

I think with more electric stations popping up in major cities, electric motorcycles will get more popular. They have been around for a good amount of time, let's see if HD opens the door for people into these kind of motorcycles.

From what I read about these bikes, going 70+mph without hearing or feeling an engine, is pretty unreal.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Well, that was sorta out of left field... I do like the HD 750 though, I hope they work out the bugs.

I think if and with Harley that's a big if, the price is not totally nuts, this bike will sell and sell good, I have a Harley Ultra Classic, and a Turbocharged Hayabusa, and I would buy one of Harleys electrics in a minuite, to go to and from work, then mama could ride it when we were out, (shes not good with clutches and gears)

I think with more electric stations popping up in major cities, electric motorcycles will get more popular. They have been around for a good amount of time, let's see if HD opens the door for people into these kind of motorcycles.

From what I read about these bikes, going 70+mph without hearing or feeling an engine, is pretty unreal.

The one thing any electric vehicle has is near instant torque which equates to instant acceleration.

I think if and with Harley that's a big if, the price is not totally nuts, this bike will sell and sell good, I have a Harley Ultra Classic, and a Turbocharged Hayabusa, and I would buy one of Harleys electrics in a minuite, to go to and from work, then mama could ride it when we were out, (shes not good with clutches and gears)

Heck if she's not good with clutches and gears why not an automatic bike such as a Ridley? Ridley Automatic Motorcycles®

I have worked in the motorcycle business for almost 30 years.

This is a marketing stunt. They do not make an electric bike or do they have one in development. That bike belongs to another and has been customized to look like an HD. They do have a new 500 & 750 that they want riders to stop in and see......hint hint....until they release their electric bike....Lol

Just like Amazon's drone delivery or Dodge's Tomahawk V10 motorcycle......Just something to get the main stream media talking about. Something to get every non-motorcycling rider water cooler conversation started.

This is a marketing stunt. They do not make an electric bike or do they have one in development. That bike belongs to another and has been customized to look like an HD. They do have a new 500 & 750 that they want riders to stop in and see......hint hint....until they release their electric bike....Lol

Just like Amazon's drone delivery or Dodge's Tomahawk V10 motorcycle......Just something to get the main stream media talking about. Something to get every non-motorcycling rider water cooler conversation started.

Have any sources? I have not read anywhere this is a hoax.

Same question as Firefighterchen over here.

I saw a report on the HD electric bike last week or maybe the week before. It had an R&D Dept. rep. being interviewed. She said it was about two years from showing up on sales floors, which I found kinda strange considering that the bike in the video looks to be well beyond the prototype stage. Some of the same video was used in the report I saw as the first segment of the OP link.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think the test track they were videotaping from was the Harley facility at the Talladega NASCAR track in Talladega, AL. Back when I was putting 20K to 30K miles on my bikes a year, I used to go down there every six months or so and apply to be one of their test riders. Some of 'em stay local and test only on the track, while others travel around the country six to eight months out of each year, all expenses paid, brand new bikes from break-in to blow-up or refresh, whichever comes first, plus a pretty good salary considering all the bennies that hard-core riders get from such a job. Those jobs are very hard to come by. I submitted pictures from Sturgis and Daytona to show how many miles I was putting in the saddle each year, and never got a single call-back for an interview after trying for five or six years.

'Course, if I had gotten a job down there, and they gave me an electric bike to throw a leg over and ride the piss out of, I'd piss on it and walk away instead. LOL

Blues

I'm not saying it is a hoax, I would never say that. It is a clever marketing ploy. Do you consider Amazon's drone delivery proposal a hoax? HD will not deliver a production, 100% electric, motorcycle before 2019.....I promise.
This is grabbing print headlines and popping up all over social media and television. Harley Davidson is good at building motorcycles, but they are incredible marketers. The world has been duped into talking about this. It does not have to come to immediate fruition, it was a brilliant move orchestrated perfectly......WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HD.

Have any sources? I have not read anywhere this is a hoax.

I'm not saying it is a hoax, I would never say that. It is a clever marketing ploy. Do you consider Amazon's drone delivery proposal a hoax? HD will not deliver a production, 100% electric, motorcycle before 2019.....I promise.
This is grabbing print headlines and popping up all over social media and television. Harley Davidson is good at building motorcycles, but they are incredible marketers. The world has been duped into talking about this. It does not have to come to immediate fruition, it was a brilliant move orchestrated perfectly......WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HD.

So no....?

Amazon drones have been grounded by the FAA for now, so how does that relate to HD? What's stopping them? Electric motors are all ready used commercially on a grand scale...They are steadily making their way into personal vehicles... it would be a very poor move for HD to not have a foot in that industry.

Wait, if I had an electric Harley... would I have to make the sound of that 'ole push rod twin with my mouth?!

I wouldn't call it a ploy but they are marketing it to see if there is a large enough audience to put it into production. Here is an article from J&P.

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back