*Salesman Stabs Homeowner*

The_Outlaw

~The Dude Abides~
Looks like I will have to start carrying my firearm at home more often.
It's gotten to the point that it's not even safe when dealing with magazine sales people.
~SMH~

Link Removed

Wow looking at the pictures,that could have ended badly. Goes to show you your not always safe in your own home.

To all my friends and family, read that article...the fact that I CC in my own home doesn't seem quite so "stupid" now does it?? huh...well, does it?!

I've said this before but, I've never answered a door to a stranger and had it turn out good. That's not to say that I've ever been robbed, but it's always been some kind of a pitch that I really don't want to hear. Now I simply don't open the door

i normally answer the door with my M&P in a blackhawk holster, since u cant OC in texas, I OC in MY house. normally they see it and move along or are very polite and take no i dont want to buy anything with a smile and a good day sir.

I've said this before but, I've never answered a door to a stranger and had it turn out good. That's not to say that I've ever been robbed, but it's always been some kind of a pitch that I really don't want to hear. Now I simply don't open the door

Thank you Treo for saying what needed to be said.

My front door is a left-handed door, that means the hinges are on the left-hand side as you are coming IN. When I open it from the inside with my left hand, it means my right hand is hidden by the door itself. Invariably, when I answer the door for strangers, it's with my left hand and my right hand already has a grip on my personal protection sidearm.

If an aggressive (read: assaultive) salesman were to try such with me, it'll be the last "hard sell" they ever have.

I learned to answer the door this way one winter when some homeless person was asking for the use of my phone, which we did not allow because of previous abuses by the poor folks in the neighborhood learning that we allowed so-and-so to use our phone and so we were always getting pestered about it. When I refused the homeless person, they could feel the warmth of our HVAC conditioned air with snow on the ground outside and they seemed to be determined not to lose that warmth. To that end, they stuck their foot in my door. Diplomacy is the art of saying, "Nice doggie" long enough to grab a big stick. Unfortunately, the big stick of my 12 ga. was just out of reach. I would have to let the door go, and hence allow the homeless woman into my home, in order to grab it. Being that close, I could smell her, and that only steeled my resolve that this creature was not getting in. Trying to cajole her to take her foot away so I could close the door, finally, I had had enough. Making like the shotgun was somewhere else in the house, I yelled, "Hey, mom! Could you bring the shotgun here?" That convinced the woman she'd rather be cold and alive than room temperature and dead. She left spouting curses, but I watched that she was definitely leaving my porch and property.

Now, with the sidearm always in my hidden hand, I no longer have to worry about this kind of scenario.

And that's why I have a "No Soliciting" sign on my front door. If you're knocking it's because I'm expecting you. Otherwise, you're trespassing and may not like the reception you get. I did, however, get a knuckle-dragger roll up on me while working in the yard. I saw him coming a few house away. When he smiled and said hello, I said hello and politely told him I don't talk to door-to-door sales people. He politely went on his way.

I live in CT, and last autumn one of these guys came to my door. I was in the back bedroom, and before I could answer the knock, my door started rattling hard enough to shake the outgoing mail I had clipped on the inside with a magnetic paper clip. I chewed him out and told him to get the F. outta here, and then called the cops. My complex super lives across the hall and heard me cussing the guy, but 20 minutes later he heard the cops and the guy laughing about me being a cranky old fart or something.

So guess what? Now I sit here with my .45 beside me - always. Next time, I'll wait for the door to be forced open. Screw the cops - they're yukking it up with a guy who tried to bust my door!

My front door is a left-handed door, that means the hinges are on the left-hand side as you are coming IN. When I open it from the inside with my left hand, it means my right hand is hidden by the door itself. Invariably, when I answer the door for strangers, it's with my left hand and my right hand already has a grip on my personal protection sidearm.

If an aggressive (read: assaultive) salesman were to try such with me, it'll be the last "hard sell" they ever have.

I learned to answer the door this way one winter when some homeless person was asking for the use of my phone, which we did not allow because of previous abuses by the poor folks in the neighborhood learning that we allowed so-and-so to use our phone and so we were always getting pestered about it. When I refused the homeless person, they could feel the warmth of our HVAC conditioned air with snow on the ground outside and they seemed to be determined not to lose that warmth. To that end, they stuck their foot in my door. Diplomacy is the art of saying, "Nice doggie" long enough to grab a big stick. Unfortunately, the big stick of my 12 ga. was just out of reach. I would have to let the door go, and hence allow the homeless woman into my home, in order to grab it. Being that close, I could smell her, and that only steeled my resolve that this creature was not getting in. Trying to cajole her to take her foot away so I could close the door, finally, I had had enough. Making like the shotgun was somewhere else in the house, I yelled, "Hey, mom! Could you bring the shotgun here?" That convinced the woman she'd rather be cold and alive than room temperature and dead. She left spouting curses, but I watched that she was definitely leaving my porch and property.

Now, with the sidearm always in my hidden hand, I no longer have to worry about this kind of scenario.

How do you think Jesus is going to look and smell when he returns? Like Princess Dianna or like that homeless woman?

How do you think Jesus is going to look and smell when he returns? Like Princess Dianna or like that homeless woman?

You think very little of Yeshua, don't you? :sarcastic: Then again, he's been gone for 2000 years. Anyway, what does that have to with homeless people trying to trespass?

My front door has a storm door that opens out. One time my husband wasn't home and there was this guy at my door. I opened the main door and asked the guy what he wanted. He said something about some magazines and I pretended not to be able to open the door and said my husband locked me in. He probably saw my holstered gun (I open carry at home...), who knows? He sure backed off from the door... I carry at home, even when I take our dog out to do his duties at our fenced backyard or get the mail or put the rubbish bin out -- because I can.

You think very little of Yeshua, don't you? :sarcastic: Then again, he's been gone for 2000 years. Anyway, what does that have to with homeless people trying to trespass?

Actually that's a question I heard asked a lot by priests and preachers in my 40 years of adventure through Christiandom. It was said by them as a reminder that the least amongst us is more likely to be Jesus than the greatest amongst us is likely to be Jesus.

As a devout Atheist, I don't believe Jesus is coming back, but if he does, I'll have a lot more to worry about than what he smells like.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back