SA vs DA autos

Mathias Jones

I'm looking at the XD subcompacts, but was curious about the advantages/disadvantages of different trigger actions.

I know single action triggers have less travel and offer easier accuracy, but being use to revolvers, I like the safety of a long pull on the first shot and I like the idea of having a second crack at a misfire. I don’t like the idea of a cocked pistol in my pants...

Are these concerns valid? Should I stick with the XD or look elsewhere?

I like SA/DA semi-autos

I'm looking at the XD subcompacts, but was curious about the advantages/disadvantages of different trigger actions.

I know single action triggers have less travel and offer easier accuracy, but being use to revolvers, I like the safety of a long pull on the first shot and I like the idea of having a second crack at a misfire. I don’t like the idea of a cocked pistol in my pants...

Are these concerns valid? Should I stick with the XD or look elsewhere?

I have always been a fan of a longer trigger pull for the first shot. That is why my carry gun is a HK USP45

My back up or other carry gun is a Baby Eagle for the same reason.

A handgun without an exposed hammer just does'nt seem "RIGHT" to me.

That's my feel.

I like the Taurus PT145 because it doesn't have a hammer like an XD, but still has a long, double-action pull on the first shot.

My carry gun is DA/SA, and has a hammer. It just wouldn't "feel" right to me either, otherwise.

My HK is DBL action only. That has become my favorite. Next to that in order of preference is the DBL action/single action type. I am not a big fan of the older single action style autos.

My primary carry piece, a Sig P229, is DA/SA. It also has "double strike" capability for a 2nd chance at a misfire. This feature is useless to me for shooting though, because I've ingrained the "tap, rack, flip" technique into my training. I do like the "double strike" capability for dry practice, as I don't have to rack the slide between each trigger press.

As for DA vs. SA shooting, I like them equally well. As long as you train with the pistol you'll be carrying, the bullets should go where intended.

It's a personal preference. You have folks that won't carry or shoot anything but a 1911 and then you have the DA/SA crowd and the DAO crowd. Most people who are used to revolvers tend to gravitate towards the DAO pistols.

My friend has an XD 9mm.. (A very nice gun)
I have had a couple of shots go off on me in the middle of a clip because of the short trigger pull. It has a very light pull and a short travel.. It is something I could get used to, but is a little disconcerting the 1st few time it happened..
Personal choice, but I prefer a little more pull, or a little more travel, or both. IMHO

Mathias, welcome to the boards! Great to have you with us.

You'll get a lot of good feedback in here, so you're asking in "the right place." (The gun shop may just be trying to move product.)

I'd encourage you to test-drive your options and see what you like, what feels good for you, and what you'll be comfortable with. Then of course you're obliged to post pics of your new baby! :biggrin:

Welcome again! Happy gun hunting!

If a long trigger pull is your cup of tea, then you should select that type of action. For people making the jump from revolver to semi-auto most would be better off with those types:sarcastic: of actions. One exception to the rule are women with limited strength in their fingers to handle the long pull. The same can be stated for those who have small hands. This being more of a problem for people who like double stack mags, and have small hands.

While I have left my 659 Smith & Wesson, behind a long time ago, I did shoot some of the highest scores I have ever shot. It is all in what you get use to, provided the fit is correct.

Scott J. Williams
Black Dragon Personal Protection
Black Dragon Personal ProtectionFirearms Training, Unarmed Combat

If a long trigger pull is your cup of tea, then you should select that type of action. For people making the jump from revolver to semi-auto most would be better off with those types:sarcastic: of actions. One exception to the rule are women with limited strength in their fingers to handle the long pull. The same can be stated for those who have small hands. This being more of a problem for people who like double stack mags, and have small hands.

While I have left my 659 Smith & Wesson, behind a long time ago, I did shoot some of the highest scores I have ever shot. It is all in what you get use to, provided the fit is correct.

Scott J. Williams
Black Dragon Personal Protection
Black Dragon Personal ProtectionFirearms Training, Unarmed Combat

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back