Ruger LCP 380

I got to check one out at Cabelas in Reno yesterday. They were holding it for a customer who has it on lay-away. Really nice looking and good feeling pistol for under $300. They said that there are 25 more on the way and they will sell fast.

Soooo, I'm getting ready for the next gun show in Dallas and am thinking of trading my KT .32 with (2) clips toward the Ruger 380, good move? Has the Ruger been reliable enough (so far) where you would trust it for a carry?

Thanks,

Jim

Ruger

Soooo, I'm getting ready for the next gun show in Dallas and am thinking of trading my KT .32 with (2) clips toward the Ruger 380, good move? Has the Ruger been reliable enough (so far) where you would trust it for a carry?

Thanks,

Jim

Glad you mentioned gun show. I think another is coming up in a week or so in Fort Worth. Think I will go and check out the Ruger.

HK4U,

5/24 is Will Rogers, 6/14&15 is Market Hall...Market Hall is the one I'll be looking the the Ruger, there is always more "deals" there......

Jim

gun show

HK4U,

5/24 is Will Rogers, 6/14&15 is Market Hall...Market Hall is the one I'll be looking the the Ruger, there is always more "deals" there......

Jim

I have been to the one at Market Hall although it has been a couple years. It is a good show but I usually go to Will Rogers just because it is much closer to me and I don't have to deal with a lot of traffic that way.

The LCPs are having the same issues as the P3AT ( you can read about them on the ruger board -no suprise there though , it is a P3AT copy with same internal parts -they just added a manual slide lock and a new style grip) P 32s are very reliable, I wouldn't trade. I have 2 P3ATs and 1 P32, the P 32 runs perfect had to work out bugs on the P3ATs.

I have my name on a waiting list a 3 different shops. After the major issues I've had with 2 P3AT's I can't wait to give it a try.

Just received my LCP on Saturday. Bought it through GunBroker.com for $300 including shipping. Found a local FFL agent who did the transfer for $12.50. A great experience start to finish. I removed myself from my shops waiting list today. Now if only Crimson Trace would come out with their laser for the LCP.

Recall ?

I,ve been trying to decide on a Ruger LCP or P3AT and had just decided on Ruger when I saw this. This is a real concern as I feel if any double action shouldn't be carried with one in the pipe it's worthless as CCW IMO. I've searched and so far have found no recall or even safety bulletin on the LCP. Ruger's own site lists recalls for 7 models but not the LCP. The page from the owners manual shown looks like it might be a CYA saying ANY firearm can go off if dropped. I'm still looking for actual drop test results to see if it is any more dangerous than any other pistol.
All I've found so far is an article saying all US made pistols pass the drop test. Does anyone here know if it is being sold in California? It MUST pass the drop test to be sold there.

Last edited:
I,ve been trying to decide on a Ruger LCP or P3AT and had just decided on Ruger when I saw this. This is a real concern as I feel if any double action shouldn't be carried with one in the pipe it's worthless as CCW IMO. I've searched and so far have found no recall or even safety bulletin on the LCP. Ruger's own site lists recalls for 7 models but not the LCP. The page from the owners manual shown looks like it might be a CYA saying ANY firearm can go off if dropped. I'm still looking for actual drop test results to see if it is any more dangerous than any other pistol.
All I've found so far is an article saying all US made pistols pass the drop test. Does anyone here know if it is being sold in California? It MUST pass the drop test to be sold there.

The recall is for the SR9, not the LCP.

From what I've been told, Ruger never submitted the LCP to California for the drop test, nor does it have the required magazine disconnect and external safety (neither does the Keltec). You can only buy one there from a private party, a FFL can't sell them in the state as they are not on the approved list.

I have one on order from a local shop for $249, I'm told it will be in about 3 weeks from now but I'm not holding my breath. The Keltec's fit and finish I'm not impressed with.

I know what you mean about the fit & finish. That's what turned me off on the P3AT. I've got a 30 year old surplus Makarov that looks better. I've talked to a lot of people about the P3AT and they either love'em or hate'em. Seems about 50-50 which doesn't impress me either. I'm told their customer service and lifetime warranty are top notch but also hear of repeated returns and a lot of polishing work to make one reliable. Still others tell of flawless perfection right out of the box. Could their QC be that inconsistent?
The LCP looks good and I like other Rugers.

Last edited:
Frankly I was in the market for a Seecamp LWS32, but you have to pay $150 over MSRP on an auction site or wait 5 months for the factory order. That's close to 6 bills to get one in a week or so.

I was looking at the P3AT's in my local gunshops, as no one has any Rugers in stock, and none are even ordering them, saying they can't get 'em. They had one Keltec at a store on consignment for $199 and I thought I'd ask about it, all the gun shops are recommending them (of course, that's all they have to sell right now) and the counter guy told me for an extra $50 he'd get me a Ruger when "their shipment comes in" at the end of the month. The price on a new Keltec was $10 higher, I figured I could wait till August to see if it pans out.

I'm sure the Keltec is reliable, but I like to keep my guns for life, I want something that starts out kind of nice looking.

I can see myself getting one of the Rugers for a BUG one day as soon as it has been out a while and I know it is reliable/all the bugs out. I have a Beretta Tomcat now. It is an overall good gun but it can be picky in regard to the ammo I use.

Local gun shop called late this afternoon and said my Ruger is in. Funny thing was I was in the store about an hour before they called looking at some hunting/fishing waders and I didn't even think to ask them about the gun, fuguring it would still be at least another 2 weeks. Will head over there tomorrow. Hopefully it's also still at the good price I was quoted before.

I have had mine for two weeks now. The trigger is longer then I am use to but not bad. The gun is quality all the way. I have 200 rounds through it so far. It was a good investment for me. I carry it daily.

Sure enough, $249. I'll give a thumbs up to my local dealer, Black Sheep Sporting Goods. They even threw in a box of CCI ball (non-brass case, oh well :) )! I've heard some have problems with it in this gun, if I do I'll run it through my Walther to get rid of it. I've got some SilverTip HP, but I was reading at another site that Remington Golden Saber is the one to beat now in .380, even better than Corbon. I'll have to pick up a box to see if it fires well.

Anyone have a particular JHP that seems to feed well? Probably take me better part of a week till I can get to the range.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back