Rolling Stone Article - I guess according to them all guns are dangerous...

A firearm and a squirt gun are completely different. Squirt gun are for squirting each other on a hot day. This thread has officially been derailed.

You teach to never point a firearm at something you are not willing to destroy. How in the hell is a squirt gun dangerous?
A firearm and squirt gun are 100% the same. One does not differentiate between acts which are acceptable with one and not another. Don't point anything at anyone. And as Chen said pointing anything that looks like a gun can get you killed.

You act appropriately with the tool you have. A super soaker 5000 is just fine to spray someone with. Squirt gun fights are fun! Neighbor kids are always out in the road having fun with them.

You act appropriately with the tool you have. A super soaker 5000 is just fine to spray someone with. Squirt gun fights are fun! Neighbor kids are always out in the road having fun with them.

uhmmm...I'd say someone who let's their kids play in the road...should not be preaching about squirt gun safety.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Not reading through any of the posts. I can only say that the RS article is as usual a RS article. Bias, leaning and leading. With 330 million is this experiment we call the US of A. I think we're doing pretty good on there reported stats. Of course given that most cities "Homicides are committed by gangs" AND they fail to reference their stats, probably because large cities seems statically to have a higher number of homicides per capita then out laying areas.
Control the gangs, control the violence. Sheet, no difference then the FBI against the bootleggers in the 30's. It's just no one has the Cojones to assign units to killing these bastards to eradicate there unlawful activities. Buying the VOTE trumps public safety. The insanity continues.........

My son still sleeps in my room...Because he is 4 months old. He has not been in a room without my wife or I present. He will not be left alone with any kind of gun because he could use it dangerously. A firearm doesn't use itself, a person does.

BC1 sums this up nicely above.

The object not being dangerous when it's left alone is relevant, as it shows the only thing that changes between an inanimate object and an object used dangerously...is the human intervention.

Ah, okay... gotcha that your son is still a baby. But, I think it's safe to presume that at some point he's going to move into his own room, because as he matures into a child you're not going to need to watch him as much. As he matures and becomes more independent, he'll be alone more often. Yes?

My son is 3. He walks around the house and is fairly independent inside the house. He may choose to play in his room, in the living room, pretty much most of the house except the garage and our bed room. We do not follow him around every time he changes from one room to the next. We also do not leave guns out, loaded or otherwise... because he may find them and he does not have the judgement at 3 for us to be sure that he won't play with the gun, possibly shooting it, etc. So they stay in the safe. Toys on the other hand, such as squirt guns, he has access to.

Toys, such as squirt guns, have a different nature than tools, such as firearms. There is a reason why kids can play with one and not the other. Don't try to complicate things by introducing child shooting cops into this, because that's an entirely different subject. A real gun doesn't need a third party to make it dangerous. A child playing with it can kill himself. A child playing with a squirtgun (and before you go nuts and try to talk about a squirt gun filled with acid or some crazy thing, no it's just water) by himself will not accidentally kill himself.

Tools have a different nature than toys. This is why guns need to be kept from kids (or in the case of older kids, supervised) and toys do not. This nature is what I am calling dangerous. If you don't like that word, lets hear your better description of the difference between a tool, such as a firearm and a toy, such as a squirtgun.

A firearm and squirt gun are 100% the same. One does not differentiate between acts which are acceptable with one and not another. Don't point anything at anyone. And as Chen said pointing anything that looks like a gun can get you killed.

Oh, come on.

You never ran around in your parents yard as a kid squirting your friends with squirt guns?

Ah, okay... gotcha that your son is still a baby. But, I think it's safe to presume that at some point he's going to move into his own room, because as he matures into a child you're not going to need to watch him as much. As he matures and becomes more independent, he'll be alone more often. Yes?

My son is 3. He walks around the house and is fairly independent inside the house. He may choose to play in his room, in the living room, pretty much most of the house except the garage and our bed room. We do not follow him around every time he changes from one room to the next. We also do not leave guns out, loaded or otherwise... because he may find them and he does not have the judgement at 3 for us to be sure that he won't play with the gun, possibly shooting it, etc. So they stay in the safe. Toys on the other hand, such as squirt guns, he has access to.

Toys, such as squirt guns, have a different nature than tools, such as firearms. There is a reason why kids can play with one and not the other. Don't try to complicate things by introducing child shooting cops into this, because that's an entirely different subject. A real gun doesn't need a third party to make it dangerous. A child playing with it can kill himself. A child playing with a squirtgun (and before you go nuts and try to talk about a squirt gun filled with acid or some crazy thing, no it's just water) by himself will not accidentally kill himself.

Tools have a different nature than toys. This is why guns need to be kept from kids (or in the case of older kids, supervised) and toys do not. This nature is what I am calling dangerous. If you don't like that word, lets hear your better description of the difference between a tool, such as a firearm and a toy, such as a squirtgun.

I reference bc1 post. My son will not have access, and will not learn, to point any gun, be it a squirt gun, nerf gun, or real gun at anyone until he understands the responsibility that comes with his actions. It all boils down to that firearm safety mentality. That mentality doesn't treat the firearm dangerously, it treats the person dangerously.

Keep your finger of the trigger until your ready to fire. (Action)

Always know what your target is, what's in front and behind it. (Action)

Never point your firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy. (Action)

My parents didn't have firearms, and they let my brothers and I play with squirt guns. When we got into the firearms world later in life, we had an abrupt and sharp learning curve because of this. My son, will not go through that. It's our actions that are dangerous, not the object in our hands.

Firefighter, I mean no offence, but I believe you to be a bit too strict and a little hard on your kids. Teach them to know the difference between a toy and a weapon. Teach them that something capable of grave bodily harm needs to be handle with due respect and diligence. Don't teach them that anything that even has the word gun in it is dangerous. Those are the kinds of people you see that freak out when they see someone openly carrying.

Firefighter, I mean no offence, but I believe you to be a bit too strict and a little hard on your kids. Teach them to know the difference between a toy and a weapon. Teach them that something capable of grave bodily harm needs to be handle with due respect and diligence. Don't teach them that anything that even has the word gun in it is dangerous. Those are the kinds of people you see that freak out when they see someone openly carrying.

You do realize I open carry right? That bull**** reasoning "people that freak out" is utter nonsense.

I'll teach him that anything that can get him killed should be left alone unless I'm there to supervise. Be it a gun, a toy gun, a knife, a toy knife, etc.

You can be as relaxed as you want, let your kids play in the street with toy guns, doesn't bother me. I'll raise my kid my way.

I open carry as well.

Didn't mean to offend you. I'm just curious as to why you can compare a toy with a weapon. I was raised to understand what was a toy and ok to play with, and what was dangerous and to be left alone. Although I wish my father had raised me around guns more than he did as I never really knew anything about them and instinctually feared them. Now I understand that they are just a tool and handled incorrectly can be dangerous to the innocent. But used appropriately, can protect the innocent.

I reference bc1 post. My son will not have access, and will not learn, to point any gun, be it a squirt gun, nerf gun, or real gun at anyone until he understands the responsibility that comes with his actions. It all boils down to that firearm safety mentality. That mentality doesn't treat the firearm dangerously, it treats the person dangerously.

Keep your finger of the trigger until your ready to fire. (Action)

Always know what your target is, what's in front and behind it. (Action)

Never point your firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy. (Action)

My parents didn't have firearms, and they let my brothers and I play with squirt guns. When we got into the firearms world later in life, we had an abrupt and sharp learning curve because of this. My son, will not go through that. It's our actions that are dangerous, not the object in our hands.

What is it about the squirt gun that makes it require such strict "responsibility that comes with his actions"? I mean, it's a toy. A beach ball is a toy too. Do you feel the same way about beach balls?

What is it about the squirt gun that makes it require such strict "responsibility that comes with his actions"? I mean, it's a toy. A beach ball is a toy too. Do you feel the same way about beach balls?

Do I need to post that same link a third time?

I open carry as well.

Didn't mean to offend you. I'm just curious as to why you can compare a toy with a weapon. I was raised to understand what was a toy and ok to play with, and what was dangerous and to be left alone. Although I wish my father had raised me around guns more than he did as I never really knew anything about them and instinctually feared them. Now I understand that they are just a tool and handled incorrectly can be dangerous to the innocent. But used appropriately, can protect the innocent.

However you were raised, now you think it's okay for kids to play in the street with squirt guns. Again, your priorities seem a little skewed.

An object is not dangerous. Squirt guns aren't dangerous themselves, but they can be used dangerously. Firearms aren't dangerous themselves, but they can be used dangerously. People are dangerous, not the objects.

Do I need to post that same link a third time?

No, but it makes me wonder... why in the world would cops shot a kid with a gun shaped toy, but not shoot that same child carrying a beach ball? Can you think of any reason? Once again, they are both toys.

However you were raised, now you think it's okay for kids to play in the street with squirt guns. Again, your priorities seem a little skewed.

An object is not dangerous. Squirt guns aren't dangerous themselves, but they can be used dangerously. Firearms aren't dangerous themselves, but they can be used dangerously. People are dangerous, not the objects.

Yes, in my neighborhood, we played basketball in the street, squirt guns in the street, and jumped off of a big boulder into a pile of hay in the common area. It's a wonder I'm still alive...

It's actually nice to see kids playing in the culdesak and having fun. I would occasionally join in on the festivities.

No, but it makes me wonder... why in the world would cops shot a kid with a gun shaped toy, but not shoot that same child carrying a beach ball? Can you think of any reason? Once again, they are both toys.

The actions a person does with a beach ball are not dangerous. The actions a person does with a squirt gun are dangerous.
That's the difference.

Yes, in my neighborhood, we played basketball in the street, squirt guns in the street, and jumped off of a big boulder into a pile of hay in the common area. It's a wonder I'm still alive...

It's actually nice to see kids playing in the culdesak and having fun. I would occasionally join in on the festivities.

Some call it miracles...I prefer the term dumb luck.

The actions a person does with a beach ball are not dangerous. The actions a person does with a squirt gun are dangerous.
That's the difference.

No they aren't. A kid squirting another kid with a squirt gun is not dangerous in the slightest. My kids can squirt each other with squirt guns all day long and be just fine. That play is no more dangerous than them knocking the beach ball back and forth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back