Ridiculous Question

They did a segment on History Channel the other day where they had an old west shooter with a pistol try to light a match. He blew the head off the match (not a bad shot from about 25 feet it appeared) but it did not light. They blamed it on modern matches not using the same lighting techniques as matches of old.

I figure if that stuff is not stupid questions, neither is the flare.

I say ... bring it on!

Can't wait to see it ... video it at night if possible.

saw that one. they've had at least a couple different exhibition shooting shows on there. they are great.

Yeah that really is a ridiculous question. Sounds like I'm about to read about somebody on the DARWIN AWARD website!

I don't think flares burn quickly enough for the fire to spread out with the disintegrating pieces. Assuming that the shot would tear it up that badly in the first place.

But hell, if you have the flares lying around, try it and post pics!

I don't thnk the flare question is a ridiculous question at all and would like to see what happens. I don't have a bunch of flares lying around and wide space of desert to try it out or I would.

The actual material inside the flare needs an ignitor of over 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit. The stuff you are sparking on top of it is actually a magnesium composition, if I'm not mistaken. Magnesium burns hot enough to melt steel.

My scientific guess is that it won't do a damned thing, other than blow part in the middle (presuming thats where it gets hit), with the remaining burning powder fizzling out once burned. Fired bullets are hot, but not THAT hot!

Re: Flare
A flare, also sometimes called a fusee, is a type of pyrotechnic that produces a brilliant light or intense heat without an explosion. Flares are used for signaling, illumination, or defensive countermeasures in civilian and military applications. Flares may be ground pyrotechnics, projectile pyrotechnics, or parachute-suspended to provide maximum illumination time over a large area. Projectile pyrotechnics may be dropped from aircraft, fired from rocket or artillery, or deployed by flare guns or handheld percussive tubes.

Flares produce their light through the combustion of a pyrotechnic composition. The ingredients are varied, but often based on strontium nitrate, potassium nitrate, or potassium perchlorate and mixed with a fuel such as charcoal, sulfur, sawdust, aluminium, magnesium, or a suitable polymeric resin.[1] Flares may be colored by the inclusion of pyrotechnic colorants. Calcium flares are used underwater to illuminate submerged objects.
Hope this helps!
I'd Still have more fun with a Phosforous / magnesium 12 ga shell. Their awesome when it's pitch black out at night.
Keep the kids, dogs and grandma away.:eek:

Sidewinder,

Pay no attention to these other folks. They obviously don't have the deep convictions that some of us harbor regarding the value of much needed science. I am very curious as what exactly will happen. It is my deepest and sincerest hope that you will give it a try and report back here the results of your experiment. If I may, could I suggest a few more for you to try?

Propane tank
Acetyline tank
Varying numbers of stacked plate glass
cigarette lighters

Once you have completed these experiments, please report back here... if you still have fingers anyway.

Good luck and keep that mind keen and questioning!

:no:

Oh, man, looks like we have a contender for the title of Mr. Congeniality, which I currently hold. I like your style, KingsCSI, maybe because it resembles mine so much. :yu: Terse style, well-written, acerbic yet witty, gets the point across...well done!

Nothing will happen, other than a big mess. I shot a few road flares this past weekend using my 20 gauge Remington 870 and my 12 gauge Mossberg 500.

gf

Nothing will happen, other than a big mess. I shot a few road flares this past weekend using my 20 gauge Remington 870 and my 12 gauge Mossberg 500.

gf

:laugh: So...did you make the old lady clean up the mess?? What, you had nothing to do all weekend in, where do you live again, oh yeah...HAWAII... so you decided to shoot up a few flares? :biggrin:

:laugh: So...did you make the old lady clean up the mess?? What, you had nothing to do all weekend in, where do you live again, oh yeah...HAWAII... so you decided to shoot up a few flares? :biggrin:

Actually I used the OP as an example of some of the questions I get as a firearms instructor. I taught a NRA Basic Pistol Class and we had time to do "fun stuff" on the range after the class was over. Some of the students wanted to hang around and see what happens when we shoot various things using various firearms. We shot up a few fruits, soda cans, expired canned goods, a plastic gas can and the road flares. BTW, my buddy shot up a flare with his M4 and we couldn't set it off. We got the students to clean up the mess and hauled it off to the dumpster. :biggrin:

Needless to say, it was a lot of fun.

gf

Oh...excuse me while I pull my size 12 foot out of my mouth. I get that "foot-in-mouth" disease sometimes (While irritating, I suppose it's better than "foot up my a$$" syndrome!). :to_pick_ones_nose:

BTW, my buddy shot up a flare with his M4 and we couldn't set it off. We got the students to clean up the mess and hauled it off to the dumpster

I thought you were supposed to light the flare before shooting it. I am not suprised that you couldn't set it off.

Actually I used the OP as an example of some of the questions I get as a firearms instructor. I taught a NRA Basic Pistol Class and we had time to do "fun stuff" on the range after the class was over. Some of the students wanted to hang around and see what happens when we shoot various things using various firearms. We shot up a few fruits, soda cans, expired canned goods, a plastic gas can and the road flares. BTW, my buddy shot up a flare with his M4 and we couldn't set it off. We got the students to clean up the mess and hauled it off to the dumpster. :biggrin:

Needless to say, it was a lot of fun.

gf

that's awesome... btw, shooting a pumpkin or watermelon with a high power rifle is also something to write home about:)

Next time you need to use tracers!!! Or better yet, WP :) And, in honor of Thanksgiving, they need to be inside a turkey!!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back