Revolver or Magazine for Carry?

Good. You're narrowing down your options. That's how you work your way down to your final decision.

I think the .357 would be too heavy and maybe over penetration that could hit someone behind. I am thinking a .45 would be better. A 9 mm is still in the running. First, I need to take a class so I can apply for the permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

And for that.... I weep for you.
Link Removed

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Yes. This per the WV law. One must take a safety class as a requirement to get a concealed carry permit. Experience does not cause it to be waved. I do think military people might be exempt.

No need for weeping as it is only $65 and is good for the first and any future permits. It is about four hours long and there is an instructor that is local and does it at 9:00 am and 3:00 pm every Saturday. He also does walk ins as there is no registration. I plan to do it this Saturday.

And for that.... I weep for you.
Link Removed

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Flag from revolutionary war :)
American flag :)
Confederate flag, no thanks I can live without slavery.
That one flag is enough to kill any point you were trying to make.
And I will take a modern semi over any revolver so that negates the 9mm versus 38 question.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I think the .357 would be too heavy and maybe over penetration that could hit someone behind. I am thinking a .45 would be better. A 9 mm is still in the running. First, I need to take a class so I can apply for the permit.

First, I would suggest you go to a range, rent a few guns, and see if you are even comfortable shooting a .45 or a .357, etc.. see what works for you before buying something you've never shot. That said, don't be so concerned with over-penetration from any handgun roound. Until you get into the .500 S&W or .454 Casull or .460 Rowland catagory, the terminal ballistics of most handguns are relatively similar and don't vary as greatly as you might think. Also, sometimes you may want a bit more punch behind a round, if you're dealing with barriers and not just someone 2 feet from you unobstructed. If someone innocent is directly behind your target, you won't be shooting anyway, so penetration isn't a big issue to me. You'll learn that in the "four basic rules of firearms safety" that you'll be required to memorize for your CPL.

Yes. This per the WV law. One must take a safety class as a requirement to get a concealed carry permit. Experience does not cause it to be waved. I do think military people might be exempt.

No need for weeping as it is only $65 and is good for the first and any future permits.

I believe the point is was trying to make was that you feel you're required to get government permission to exercise your 2nd amendment rights, which by their very definition frame your God-given birthrights in a document that was written specifically to limit the power of government. This leads back to the mistaken belief of many people that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are a list of privileges granted to us by our government. I can relate to this feeling of frustration at local, state, and federal gun control laws.

My bold~n~blue

Flag from revolutionary war :)
American flag :)
Confederate flag, no thanks I can live without slavery. Interesting, that the Rebel flag means only slavery to you... hmm. .

That one flag is enough to kill any point you were trying to make. Elaberate please....
And I will take a modern semi over any revolver so that negates the 9mm versus 38 question.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

For me, understanding how wrong it was for humans to own other humans in that manner... for me, the Rebel flag represents States Rights more than slavery. I understand that slavery is wrong but, I despise the federal gov't deciding nearly anything. Should slavery have been abolished? ABSOLUTLEY! However, the "War of Northern Aggression" wasn't about slavery... it was about power. Slavery was merely a tool of war... if you read "Honest Abe's" own words (profiled & explained in Andrew Napolitano's book: Lies The Gov't Told You) you'll understand this.

I digress.... back to firearms talk.

First, I would suggest you go to a range, rent a few guns, and see if you are even comfortable shooting a .45 or a .357, etc.. see what works for you before buying something you've never shot. That said, don't be so concerned with over-penetration from any handgun roound. Until you get into the .500 S&W or .454 Casull or .460 Rowland catagory, the terminal ballistics of most handguns are relatively similar and don't vary as greatly as you might think. Also, sometimes you may want a bit more punch behind a round, if you're dealing with barriers and not just someone 2 feet from you unobstructed. If someone innocent is directly behind your target, you won't be shooting anyway, so penetration isn't a big issue to me.

There lies the problem. Of the ranges I know, none of them rent guns. I will ask the instructor if he knows of ranges that rent. As said before, my dad has all those calibers, except a .38 and 9 mm. I am sure he will let me borrow or shoot with him.

I do agree that I for one would not shoot where I could put an innocent bystander in harm.

Next option would be possibly finding a local gun club, and seeing if people would allow you to try their various guns just to get a feel of the recoil and what not.. offer to pay for the ammo, etc.. explain why you are asking, or make a trip to the next big city and call around to ranges to see if they rent.

As for the Confederate Flag, I still find it kind of funny that so many people are under the impression that the Civil War was in any way about slavery. It wasn't the reason for Sesession, nor the reason for the ensuing war. It was about government control and taxation. Oddly, not unlike the war for Independence, and the quiet war currently being fought by us against big government now.

NRA trained certificate on hand and WV Concealed Carry Application filled out, except submission date, signature and date.

Thinking of a S&W 351PD .22 magnum and a S&W M&P Shield .40 (or Glock 23).

Their are prows and cons to both sides of this. What you carry is a personal choice. And apparently the instructor made his choice.... A revolver! Being an NRA instructor he does have training and knows what he is talking about. But the firearm you carry is your choice. I am also a NRA instructor.. I chose a semi auto. My choice. The statement about instructors never get it right.... Well their are a lot of ignorant people that make statement and think they know best even when they have know idea what they are talking about.

Where in WV are you. I'm in wood county. Did you say you got an NRA certificate in 4 hours??

The NRA course is a 8 hour course! Or the instructor can't say it's a NRA course. If he does this and the NRA finds out, they will pull his certification

It is a concealed carry training and safety course. The certificate is good for the application, but it only list that the instructor is an NRA instructor. The certificate doesn't say it was an NRA course. I think that is the source of the confusion. Sheriff offices accept it for the purpose of getting a permit.

I am in Putnam County.

Look at handguns online and read reviews about them. Go to gun shops and handle some. Go to range and rent some to shoot.
In revolver I recommend the Ruger LCR .22 Mag
In semi-auto either a .380 or 9mm.
But find out what you like. :dance3:

If you can't find a range that rents, try to sound out any friends you have about letting you try their handguns. Pay for range time for them or whatever if necessary. The more you can shoot, even if it's just one handgun and one revolver, the better you will be able to decide.

I've been carrying concealed for over 20 years and I carry and have carried both.

My current concealed carry pieces are 2 semi autos and a revolver. Which one I carry on any given day is based on what I can hide under what I'm going to be wearing and what I'm going to be doing while away from home. My 'go to' or default carry gun is a 3" 5 shot .44 Special revolver (it's on my hip as I type because I just came home). It's small enough to hide readily but big enough to shoot and .44 Special will do what needs to be done when it hits. I've got over 3K rounds out of this particular gun and I am quite comfortable with my abilities with it.

I am really narrowing it down! I am going to look at a Ruger SP101 .357 with a 3" barrel and see how it fits my hand. I plan to carry with a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster.

I need to buy some more pants anyway, so I will go 2" larger. I will get an OWB one too for open carry in and around the outside of my house. I could also use it for CCW with some of my sweatshirts and tshirts.

I am really narrowing it down! I am going to look at a Ruger SP101 .357 with a 3" barrel and see how it fits my hand. I plan to carry with a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster.

That's a very nice gun. Very popular, too.

I need to buy some more pants anyway, so I will go 2" larger. I will get an OWB one too for open carry in and around the outside of my house. I could also use it for CCW with some of my sweatshirts and tshirts.

Get the IWB holster and gun, then wear concealed to a clothier of your choice.. even WalMart, whatever, and grab a couple pair of pants +1" and +2" and see what works best for you. I generally see it recommended that you go up one inch in waist size to accomodate IWB carry. 2" is a surprising amount of extra girth in a pair of pants. I wear a 31" waist, and anything bigger than 32" literally falls straight off of my hips to the floor without a lot of cinching, and a belt, even with an IWB holster.

Find a firearm that you like, that is comfortable, that you will carry and is at least a .380 or higher caliber. If you like it, and it's comfortable, then you will carry it. If ever you think that the amount of ammo in your firearm is not enough, bring replacements. I carry a semi-auto that is 15+1 and I carry two extra mags, for a total of 46. I'm hoping if hell breaks loose, this will be enough to fight my way to a rifle. :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back