Revolver or Magazine for Carry?

I don't believe a carry gun has to be .380 or larger. The .22 Mag and the .32 acp will both protect you well. I carry a Bersa Thunder .32 at
times and feel well protected. I believe that .380, 9mm, and .38 are also good for carry. I'm not really into anything larger unless going in the
woods where there are dangerous animals.
:victory:

My NRA instructor swears by a 22 mag and carries one himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I don't believe a carry gun has to be .380 or larger. The .22 Mag and the .32 acp will both protect you well. I carry a Bersa Thunder .32 at
times and feel well protected. I believe that .380, 9mm, and .38 are also good for carry. I'm not really into anything larger unless going in the
woods where there are dangerous animals.
:victory:

As opposed to anywhere else where there are dangerous animals (aka criminals). :wink:

Exactly wolf_fire because if you were in the woods where there are say black bear I would want a .40 or better. For a creature that powerful
you need more caliber. Now if there were only coyotes, wolves, or mountain lion around you could actually do okay with a .22 mag, .32 acp, .380,
or 9mm or .38 because they will kill these animals. If you are in an area with Grizzly then you want a good rifle and also maybe a .44 mag handgun. I saw a video where a park ranger was attacked by a Grizzly and he was only about 8 to ten feet away when he started shooting with a .357 Mag and he had to unload the whole gun into the Grizzly before it fell.
:dirol: So thugs are not that tough

I am a revolver fan and carry a snubby .38 special +P. Feel very safe and not under powered. I just feel better knowing that 99.99999 percent of the time there will be a bang when the trigger is pulled.

Exactly wolf_fire because if you were in the woods where there are say black bear I would want a .40 or better. For a creature that powerful
you need more caliber. Now if there were only coyotes, wolves, or mountain lion around you could actually do okay with a .22 mag, .32 acp, .380,
or 9mm or .38 because they will kill these animals. If you are in an area with Grizzly then you want a good rifle and also maybe a .44 mag handgun. I saw a video where a park ranger was attacked by a Grizzly and he was only about 8 to ten feet away when he started shooting with a .357 Mag and he had to unload the whole gun into the Grizzly before it fell.

Yes, cluznar, we all know that you subscribe to the theory of keeping the smallest caliber to do the job, where most everyone else in the firearm community subscribes to the theory of carrying the largest caliber that they can carry and shoot accurately. We've been down this road so many times I can tell you where the next bend in the road is.

And if you think any of those handgun calbers (.22 mag, .32 acp, or .380) will put down a mountain lion then I have a test that I'd like you to run for me. I'll put you in an arena with a .22 mag and then unleash a mountain lion, and we'll see who wins. You obviously do not hunt.

I'm not one of the 'biggest and baddest' school of thought (I'm actually not a proponent of either side in this argument- I carry a .32, .44, or .45 depending on what I can get away with hiding) when it comes to self defense guns but I think you are wayyyyyy off base with your thoughts on a proper woods gun.

When it comes to things that have teeth, claws and a tendency to use them on human beings, there's no such thing as 'too much gun' as far as I'm concerned and, to tell the truth, I consider ALL handguns regardless of caliber 'marginal at best' in this situation. When it comes to cougars or mountain lions, they try to avoid humans but when they can't or don't, those things get nasty fast. You don't want to just wound one. Bears are the same way. We have the occasional, rare black bear encounter in this neck of the woods and that's why I don't go into the woods without a revolver that starts with a '4' on my hip. When it comes to grizzly or brown bear country, the 12 gauge comes out and gets carried. I'm not gonna become bear poo because Mr. Grizzle Bear soaked up a mag's worth of ammo from a service caliber bottom feeder and took offense at me shooting him with it. Humans may be top of the food chain but I'd really rather be 'over prepared' just in case I run into some bear that decides to test that theory.

A revolver in 357 or larger will work well as a ccw gun. I like my 1911 ( single action,easy to conceal,fast to reload) I have been using my 1911 for 12 years and have not had to replace a magazine yet.If you like a revolver by all means carry one, but do get one in a caliber 38 or larger.I like ruger sp 101 or gp 100.Try as many different handguns as you can and when you find one you like practice ! practice! practice

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back