Revolver or Magazine for Carry?

mwhals

I am wondering if people prefer a revolver or a pistol with a magazine clip for concealed carry. Since it is kept loaded, I would think the spring in the clip would weaken over time. Also, the one with the clip should have a lighter trigger.

I guess I am leaning toward a revolver as 7 bullets is all I should need for carry. At home the same revolver and a 12 gauge shotgun would be good in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Its called a 'magazine' not a 'clip' and if you have a quality firearm and mags, keeping them loaded for an extended period of time is no big deal. But carry what you feel is comfortable. 1 bullet 2, 7, 24 whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my hand-held mind distractor

Here is a visual aid for the various "magazines" and "clips"...
No, I do not think a seven shot revolver and a twelve gauge should be considered "enough gun".

Link Removed

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

I am wondering if people prefer a revolver or a pistol with a magazine clip for concealed carry. Since it is kept loaded, I would think the spring in the clip would weaken over time. Also, the one with the clip should have a lighter trigger.

I guess I am leaning toward a revolver as 7 bullets is all I should need for carry. At home the same revolver and a 12 gauge shotgun would be good in my opinion.

Whcih you carry is personal choice. I carry an auto. Your assumption on spring wear is incorrect, though. Spring steel fatigues by being compressed and decompressed repeatedly, not by being left in a compressed state, so leaving mags loaded actually will cause less spring fatigue than unloading and reloading them over and over again.
Trigger weight will depend more on DA or SA operation, and most firearms, both auto and revolver are DA/SA in nature. The 1911, Walther PPQ, and Ruger Vaquero are SAO exceptions and offer lighter triggers. The 1911 will require both a grip and thumb safety to carry in condition zero (cocked and locked), the Vaquero is a single action revolver, meaning you'll have to pull the hammer back to fire a shot with it, and the PPQ is a unique single-action only (SAO) striker-fired gun that keeps the firing pin/striker mechanism fully engaged when a round is chambered, allowing for an extremely light trigger and short reset. A Glock, by contrast, is DAO (double action only) and while it is also striker fired, it pulls the striker mechanism into the fully cocked position as a part of the function of pulling the trigger, so when a round chambered and no finger on the trigger, the gun is "half cocked."

Also, please call them magazines. Clips are something completely different, and mostly only used in older rifles like an SKS or Mauser, or something used to load rounds into a magazine for a rifle like the M-16

clip-vs-magazine.jpg

Thanks! I wasn't sure on the terminology and thought they might be the same. I now know they are different.

Sorry I came in late with the mag vs clip image. 3 others got in while I was writing my response. haha

An NRA instructor locally recommends revolvers for concealed carry. That is what brought me to bring up the subject.

you know what they say about opinions. Truth is any gun can jam. Anything that clogs up the rotating cylinder, which is always exposed on a revolver, can prevent the gut from firing. This is especially true since in DA mode on most models, the cylinder is rotated as the trigger is pulled, so if the gun does jam, it prevents you from even shooting one round. I have also seen things like damage to the frame or trigger guard that could prevent the gun from being used. Point is just that nothing is perfect. Carry what you're comfortable with. If you're not sure, rent a few different guns at a range and see what works best for you.

I usually carry a .45 or a 380 with magazines. My wife has a 357 and a 22 revolver that are hammerless that she carries. It is really what you are comfortable with and what you practice with.

An NRA instructor locally recommends revolvers for concealed carry. That is what brought me to bring up the subject.

Never accept advice from the police or an instructor.
Neither one ever gets it right!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

I don't have a CCW yet due to my personal situation, but I plan to carry a revolver. Due to a brain hemorrhage I had in 1994 my left side is paralyzed, which makes using a semiautomatic pistol problematic. My family bought me a S&W M&P Shield, but a little range time proved to me that it wasn't going to be a great choice for me. Or for my wife, who couldn't pull the slide back. So a revolver seems the best compromise for us. My current weapon of choice for home defense is a Dan Wesson 357. But, it's a bit big, bulky, and heavy for carrying. I'm planning to buy a S&W Bodyguard revolver in 38 cal. It only holds 5 shots, but that's 5 more than I would have without it.

I don't have a CCW yet due to my personal situation, but I plan to carry a revolver. Due to a brain hemorrhage I had in 1994 my left side is paralyzed, which makes using a semiautomatic pistol problematic. My family bought me a S&W M&P Shield, but a little range time proved to me that it wasn't going to be a great choice for me. Or for my wife, who couldn't pull the slide back. So a revolver seems the best compromise for us. My current weapon of choice for home defense is a Dan Wesson 357. But, it's a bit big, bulky, and heavy for carrying. I'm planning to buy a S&W Bodyguard revolver in 38 cal. It only holds 5 shots, but that's 5 more than I would have without it.

I completely understand your reasoning, and for you a revolver sounds like an excellent choice. I did want to note though that while I carry an automatic, I train to use it with one hand, both sides.. having good metal squared off sights in back helps a lot for a boot or belt rack of the slide. There are ways to train to use an auto with one side disabled, and for those of us who are still ambulatory on both sides, I strongly recommend training to use your gun with only one working arm/hand.. including weak side.

I'm sorry for your situation, though... I'm sure you don't want or need any pity. Anyway, the S&W Bodyguard .38Spl is an excellent choice for carry or home defense. I may be a bit biased but, I love .38Spl and prefer it to nearly every other "small" revolver caliber choice. With proper shot placement and quick follow ups (thanks to low recoil), .38Spl can get the job done.

Only reason to buy .38 ammo is for practice in a .357 magnum handgun.
I'm not a big fan of the .38 special. .38 Super is a different beast, though. .38spec is a very large cartridge with all the power of a .380ACP. It's a generally weak round for it's size, which is apparent when you look at the .357mag and the ballistic differences in performance.
9mm with good SD ammo (Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST, Winchester Bonded Ranger, or Ranger T, and the like) is on par with .40 S&W, with nearly identical terminal ballistics.
If you go auto, I'd go with 9mm, or 10mm. If you want a lot of power, .460 Rowland.
If you're going for a revolver, go .357 magnum (can still shoot .38spec too) or .41 magnum, which picks up in power right where the 10mm leaves off. I'm a big fan of the .41 mag.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back