Remington Moves Para To Alabama. Boo, hiss!

goalie35

I know why they're doing it, but it doesn't make me like it. Good job, Huntsville!

Link Removed

Love my 2 Para's. Just hope they can keep their trained help and maintain their high Quality and Customer Service standards. Especially like Travis Tomasie and his active role in PARA, he is one of the reasons I just bought my Black Ops.

Link Removed

Love my 2 Para's. Just hope they can keep their trained help and maintain their high Quality and Customer Service standards. Especially like Travis Tomasie and his active role in PARA, he is one of the reasons I just bought my Black Ops.

Link Removed

Nice gun. Believe it or not, Huntsville, Alabama has one of the most diverse skilled labor forces in the nation. Werner Von Braun built most of the military's and NASA's early rockets here. Though Remington has announced that they are trying to attract as much of their trained employees as possible to move, I'm reasonably sure that the type of skilled labor available here was a big consideration when they chose Huntsville. I'm sure they got offers for similar tax breaks and other incentives everywhere that was trying to land the company in their towns. Our labor force may have even been the deciding factor.

Blues

Nice gun. Believe it or not, Huntsville, Alabama has one of the most diverse skilled labor forces in the nation. Werner Von Braun built most of the military's and NASA's early rockets here. Though Remington has announced that they are trying to attract as much of their trained employees as possible to move, I'm reasonably sure that the type of skilled labor available here was a big consideration when they chose Huntsville. I'm sure they got offers for similar tax breaks and other incentives everywhere that was trying to land the company in their towns. Our labor force may have even been the deciding factor.

Blues

And plenty of space. NY state cut its own throat with the safe act and it is having affects on other states such as NC.

Maybe they can fix the R51 now? lol

Actually did read a positive review of that one (think on Bass Pro Shops website?)... Guy went through and fixed all the problems before he used it (it was a looong list). Apparently if you have a ton of time on your hands and don't mind fixing things that shouldn't have been issues, it's great!

Good read on the "positive" R51 reviews: Shooting Illustrated, The Remington R51, and the Erosion of Journalistic Integrity | The Truth About Guns

From what I understand, Remington is still working on a fix (Rumor of the Day: Remington Has No Fix for Returned R51 Pistols. Yet | The Truth About Guns). There are some inherent design problems as well (Is the Remington R51 Safe? | The Bang Switch), such as the steel locking block engaging the aluminum locking ledge.

Good one... though I'd simply guessed any of the good reviews were by someone who got a rare working model.

Here's the review I found (was on Bass Pro Shop's product page for it):

"I titled my review "Raw Fish" for a reason - out of the box R51 is exactly that. Number of issues experienced by owners at this point is well documented, and those who did their research most likely refrained from buying it. I totally understand - some of us like fish well coocked, however many do like sushi. I happend to belong to latter. With that said, my date of R51 purchase was 3/22/14. I got one of the first two guns received by my BP. I'm no exception - number of problems I experienced is inline, or even higher than highlighted in most reviews. And yet.........as of date of this review, I have 713 rounds through the gun, and it is smooth as silk and performs flawlessly. You ask: "what is the secret?" Answer is simple - I "cooked my fish." Or in another words - I spent more than dozen hours working on this gun, and addressing issues one after another. Some of them were simple, i.e. ability to push rear sight from side to side with not much force - blue locktite, front sigth shifting to the right during shooting - blue locktite. Some were more complicated - magazine insertion problem - modification to the frame, feeding / stove piping - another modification to the frame and polishing of various parts of barrel, slide getting stuck and cycling issue - more polishing of various parts, difficulties with manual cycling/taking of battery - modification to the slide and bolt polishing, gun going on battery while magazine is not empty - another modification, trigger wobbling side to side - modification to trigger group.... As you can see, I had my share. But it is mostly over (I'm still considering changes to trigger group, but decided to wait - hope there will be aftermarket replacement for trigger/pin/springs available), and now gun shoots all ammo, as opposed to only Remington's +P prescribed by manual, it is smooth and accurate at max BP's range distance, which is 25 yards. So, if you want to have a short barreled semiauto gun with fixed barrel for $400.00 and change, and able to resolve issues that you definitely will have - R51 is for you. Otherwise your choices for fixed barrel single stack guns in same category are Walther P5 (~$1,100.00), H&K P7/P7M8 (~$1,500.00+) and Walther P5C (for unbeknown to me reason price for this one skyrocketed in last six month, and now commonly goes over $3,000.00). R51 is only one that currently in production."

I suppose if you enjoy going through all that... Makes you wonder why Remington doesn't have a fix yet, though.

Our labor force may have even been the deciding factor.

Good point, BluesStringer. One hell of a lot more complex than 1911s, even if Remington is having their troubles:tongue: I was just being jealous of Alabama getting to work on those firearms, and NC missing out.

BTW, RegasAZ, that Black Ops is a sweet-looking weapon. My preference is for Commander-sized, as well.

And I thought the "voluntary recall" on my XD-S .45 was bad. 1300 flawless rounds through it, but sent it back anyway.

Was looking at the R51, but already have my XD-S as a compact carry sidearm, and instead bought a 9mm XDm 4.5 because of a sweet deal from my LGS that included half a year free range membership, and discounted ammo.

I also carry it sometimes in a hidden hybrid holster, custom made for the X5L attached, with the ECR magnet attached to the holster.

Bulky to carry IWB, but doable.

Anyway, haven't heard of any injuries due to the R51 issues, and that is a good thing. Hopefully, they may get the serious teething issues fixed, and the 2nd iteration will a be a shooter. I really wanted to like the sidearm.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back