Question About Night Sights

Looking for opinions on night sights for pistols. I've got the XD-40 Service & Sub-Compact pistols that I'd like to look in to adding some night sights. I've seen on the Springfield Armory site that they mention the Trijicon sights, but haven't seen any out here "in the field" (at a gunshop) which comes w/them factory installed. At the Link Removed, they give some information, but don't show you an example of the sights used, either in low-light or no-light. They're also a bit pricey at an MSRP of USD$101.

Basically, can anyone give a run down on these sights capabilities, as well as an opinion on if they're worth the price? Also, can they be installed by someone who's semi-experienced with basic gunsmithing of firearms? I've worked doing some light gunsmithing in some of my duties in the USAF, but nothing that didn't require more than a basic exchange of common field-stripped part or something as relatively simple as replacing the stock on an M-16. What sort of specialized tools would this require? I almost purchased a basic gunsmithing "multi-tool" at a gun shop this week, but decided to pass for now as I wanted to stick to the budget I'd set for myself and the price was $77.

I don't know of any gunsmiths in the immediate Little Rock area, but know I could Google it and likely find a few listings, at least. However, I know that would cost me more money and if this is something relatively simple to do myself, I'd rather go that route - not only to save some funds, but to get the experience - there won't likely be many gunsmiths left once the Zombie Apocalypse starts, after all. :sarcastic:

Anyhow, would appreciate any and all input!

They are not that difficult to put on. But, like most things, a right way, and a wrong way.

I think you may need a sight put er on tool. Or, what ever it is called.

I have night sights on a glock. I can always see the sights. They are very bright in a dark room.

Some of the gun guys here can tell you more.

truglo night sight TFO, that what I used in my glock23 and I did it my self, they super glow all the time

I tried them, didn't care for them. They were harder to see in the day (appeared mostly gray to me in daylight) and when it was dark enough that night sights actually glowed brightly, it was probably too dark to safely shoot at someone or something.

For me, a Crimson Trace laser was a better solution. And you can aim with a laser from just about any position ... not necessary to see the sights or have them aligned in front of your eye. Works well in all situations except bright desert sunlight. I still shoot iron sights when light allows but that laser is quite an amazing tool.

Look on YouTube for them in action. I personally prefer the Meprolight since there is a clear cover over the white outline; this makes dirt or oil less likely to obscure the white outline when shooting in light.

The white outline is easy to see and does not take away from lighted environments. The night glow is impressive allowing you to sight your target. Never had to shoot at night for defense(I would like to keep it that way).

I can post some pix of mine in the dark, if my iPhone actually works in low light.

Night Sights are love em or hate em thing, my preference is standard high profile combat sights. With that said I have 8 or 10 guns with them. But my everyday carry 1911 Colt has standard combat sights from the factory. What I do to make the sights visiable in low light...my wife has every finger nail polish known to mankind. She had a bright white polish (I say had because it is now in the Gun Box) that takes a hard bright finish when dry. It does not glow like a night sight but it works well with most light and when using one of the hand held gun lights the sights show up like the mid day sun is over your shoulder.

Several things to consider:

1, If you can't see the sights, have you properly ID'ed the target?
2, In low light you are not going to be shooting at any long distance ...say 10 or 15 feet max. At that range, if there is enough light to see the BG, you'll have enough light to see the sights or you'll have a flashlight/gunlight and be lining up the front sight looking down the barrel/slide like Cooper's flash sight picture back in the day.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

If you are looking for a good set of self defense sights look at the XS Sights. I have a set on my service size XD and love them. I'll be putting them on all of my carry pistols as money permits. I'm much faster with these sights when it comes to self defense style of shooting and with a little practice they are still more then accuate out to 25 yrds. This should give you an idea of how they look. Let me know if you have any questions about them.

HPIM0499.jpg

Phosphorescent night sights.

XD40 mine with Phosphorescent sights , all you need is five seconds from your very small flashlight and you are good for a while. Now If I wake up any time during the night even right before the sun comes up, I'll see my pistol wherever it is.
Mind you this photos weren't taken in the dark:no:
The sight are the original white dots and I enhanced with glow-on from here,
Link Removed
An here is Springfield armory .45 acp with the same kind of sights
sa1911a-1-7.jpg

Now lets say I am outside and have to go check a dark garage or basement even my living room, my sights look like they are electric lights, super cool:biggrin:

Here is something worth noting about the purchase of night sights. The Tritium Gas used in these type of sights has a radioactive "half life" of about 11 to 12 years. This means in 11 years the sights will be only half as bright. Trijicon dates their sights, both front and rear, with a small, white "08", "09", "10", meaning the sights were manufactured during that year. Some unscrupulous dealers will remove these dates with Acetone, and the buyer will have no way of knowing when the sights were made. This is good to know even if the date still remains. It could be used as a valuable tool in negotiating the price of a used handgun. As you know, these sights can cost up to, and over $100.00 to replace. Bill T.

*Ghetto Fabulous Night Sights*

*Ghetto Fabulous Night Sights*
Here is an article I wrote a couple yeares ago!!!!
By: Festus
20 March 2006
Ghetto Fabulous Night Sights
I recently decided to take a serious look at adding night sights to my favorite carry gun, a HK USP45. A lot of companies make night sights and accessories for USP series pistols and Glocks for that matter. I wanted the ability to see my sights at night but did not feel like investing $100.00 plus in tritium night sights. I shopped every internet sight (pardon the pun) and could not come up with an affordable solution.

I was shopping at my favorite Wally World and happened upon a bottle of GLOW IN THE DARK nail polish in a clearance bin (leftover) from Halloween. For about a buck I now had the solution to my conundrum in hand. I applied the nail polish with the tip of a machinist’s scribe. I worked carefully to make sure I filled in the white dots with equally sized drops. I stood the pistol on end in a clamp cushioned with leather to protect the finish. I let the sights dry overnight and VIOLA! Ghetto Fabulous Night Sights are what my shooting buddy called them and the name stuck. He asked if he could do the same to his Glock. His choice was to only treat the front sight.

I lit them up for thirty seconds with a surefire and they glowed brightly for the first couple of hours. I thought, "not bad" and left the room. Eight hours later they were still glowing, somewhat dimly, but nonetheless, GLOWING! These may not be much of an advantage compared to tritium sights, but they are WAY BETTER than black sights at night. The best part is that if you don’t like the effects, the stuff comes off with a q-tip dipped in nail polish remover.

This can be used on just about any pistol, shotgun or other CQB weapon. Good luck and good shooting.
Festus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back