protocol with police officers

In SC it is not necessay to inform police if you are carrying like in a diner, But in NC the law is different. If you are in the proximity of police officer like in a mall or store the law is inform the police officer. I still do not like it because u can cause attention to your self.But that is the law. I always wonder though if you have a out of state permit for say NH so you can carry in GA> should you inform police?

yeah....um...NO. You only need to inform when YOU are approached or addressed by an officer...not just because you're in the same room....

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer.

But in NC the law is different. If you are in the proximity of police officer like in a mall or store the law is inform the police officer. ?

Not correct. You are only required to disclose if you are stopped by a LEO, or asked by a LEO to provide identification.

You definitely do NOT have to go up to every LEO you meet in a public place and tell him you have a permit and are or are not carrying.

bill

In Ohio, you must inform the officer IMMEDIATELY. NC is the same way.

In the course of business or action initiated by the LEO... YES they have to be told.
  1. In a calm manner strictly verbal. Don't use hand gestures or play "show and tell". Don't even reach for your wallet until instructed to do so.
  2. Ask the officer after you have informed him you’re armed, and told him where on your person you have it concealed, “how would you like me to proceed?”
  3. Pay attention and follow any instructions. Be polite. They don’t know you from the scum bag that may have just knocked off the local Quickie-Mart or Sack-O-Suds. Basic common courtesy and kindness will go a long way.
I don’t want to be shot nor do I want to officer to have to deal with that situation.

In passing them on the street, in a car wash, at the mall... No need to make yourself the center of attention.

Quiet and unassuming... Like that fart you need to let loose in church... Bring no attention upon thyself...:laugh:

Am I to understand that if I someone, in some states, is within eyeshot of an LEO and is CC, he must go up to the LEO and inform him of his CCW? I see that some posters have debunked that argument with their replies; if the former statement is true it has to have been invented by a democrat--absolute nonsense

I think this is somewhat alarmist

Unless I am in a mandatory notification state, I do NOT notify right away. If I need to reach to an area where my pistol is, I do. If the officer were to ask me to step out of the vehicle, I would. I would never consider telling every officer I see that I am carrying a concealed pistol. Tell the wrong officer that you are carrying a pistol and you will be looking at charges of threatening an officer.

Telling a LEO that you are lawfully entitled to carry a handgun can in no way be construed as threatening or menacing. It is compliance with the law. Laws cannot be passed that require criminal behavior in order to remain lawful, or at least they don't stay long on the books.

Now, waving your gun around to get their attention, will. And more. I'd advise against that manner of informing the LEO.

Why make 'em nervous. I keep my mouth shut about it unless I in a State that says I have to tell them. If they ask me to get out of the car, I am telling him/them, before I make another move.

From the NC statute, as posted above:

"§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. "

Am I to understand that if I someone, in some states, is within eyeshot of an LEO and is CC, he must go up to the LEO and inform him of his CCW? I see that some posters have debunked that argument with their replies; if the former statement is true it has to have been invented by a democrat--absolute nonsense

If anyone has factual knowledge of this being true in any state, please post the relevant statute

Check this thread out....a quick google search found it!!

Legal duty to inform LEO of CCW - Packing 4 Life Forums

I took it upon myself to do some research on laws specifically requiring CCW holders to inform LEO's in 50 states that they have a CCW in possession, when the LEO initiates a contact. I checked 7 different gun, and CCW Forums. The only place I could find the information without writing 50 letters was at packing.org. I had to search through 50 state postings to gleen this information though. There are only 9 states that specifically mandate through statue that you must immediately notify. 6 states are listed as unknown. The remaining 35 have no such specific statue to mandate notification, but require documentation through a valid CCW permit if requested by the LEO. Read only if interested.

AL=No
AK=No
AZ=No
AR=No
CA=No
CT=No
CO=No
DE=No
FL=No
GA=No
HI=U/K
ID=No
IL=U/K
IN=No
KS=U/K
LA=Yes
ME=No
MD=No
MI=Yes
MN=No
MS=No
MO=No (CCW status linked to MO driver's license)
MT=No
NE=U/K
NV=No
NH=No
NJ=Yes
NM=No
NY=No
NC=Yes
ND=No
OH=Yes
OK=Yes
OR=No
PA=No
RI=No
SC=Yes
SD=No
TN=No
TX=Yes (CCW status linked to TX driver's license)
UT=Yes
VA=Yes (CCW status linked to VA license plate)
WA=No
Wash.DC=U/K
WV=No
WI=U/K
WY=No

Disclaimer, I can not guarentee, nor assume responsibility for the information provided, that this information is up to date, nor accurate. Provided for informational use only. User is responsible to verify information relevant to his/her travels, and LEO encounters.
Last edited by Big Dave; 04-25-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: SC is required to notify officer

I know if I'm driving a car an get pulled over I should tell officer I'm carrying but this morning four officers came in a diner an sat across from me,was it nessasary to inform them?I was thinking would it be a good idea to have a business card that stated the fact an just hand it to them? Would be a lot easyer than walking over to them an making them very nervous,just a thought

This might be good in a tight situation, check it out ......

Link Removed

Mr. PX4-Storm

Billwot's quote of the NC statute at least makes sense; it is similar to the automobile stop in SC, where, if stopped by an LEO and you are CCW, you are REQUIRED to show your CCWP. Other than the specifics of the states' statutes, you are not required to interface with an LEO just because you are CC. The idea that if you are in a diner and an LEO comes in and sits down in the diner, you are required to run over to the LEO waving your CCWP just does not make any sense---if I was that LEO, I would think you were nuts and THEN I would address you and ask for all pertinent information, thinking you had a screw loose. If that is the way your state's statute reads, it most definitely was written by a democrat--that is the only possible answer I can come up with.

The Texas law has been interpreted (in a CHL course) as being required to inform LEO during official interaction IF you are carrying; however, I always given both CHL and DL upon request for ID out of courtesy. Your DL computer record shows a link to a CHL.

Check this thread out....a quick google search found it!!

Legal duty to inform LEO of CCW - Packing 4 Life Forums

I took it upon myself to do some research on laws specifically requiring CCW holders to inform LEO's in 50 states that they have a CCW in possession, when the LEO initiates a contact. I checked 7 different gun, and CCW Forums. The only place I could find the information without writing 50 letters was at packing.org. I had to search through 50 state postings to gleen this information though. There are only 9 states that specifically mandate through statue that you must immediately notify. 6 states are listed as unknown. The remaining 35 have no such specific statue to mandate notification, but require documentation through a valid CCW permit if requested by the LEO. Read only if interested.

AL=No
AK=No
AZ=No
AR=No
CA=No
CT=No
CO=No
DE=No
FL=No
GA=No
HI=U/K
ID=No
IL=U/K
IN=No
KS=U/K
LA=Yes
ME=No
MD=No
MI=Yes
MN=No
MS=No
MO=No (CCW status linked to MO driver's license)
MT=No
NE=U/K
NV=No
NH=No
NJ=Yes
NM=No
NY=No
NC=Yes
ND=No
OH=Yes
OK=Yes
OR=No
PA=No
RI=No
SC=Yes
SD=No
TN=No
TX=Yes (CCW status linked to TX driver's license)
UT=Yes
VA=Yes (CCW status linked to VA license plate)
WA=No
Wash.DC=U/K
WV=No
WI=U/K
WY=No

Disclaimer, I can not guarentee, nor assume responsibility for the information provided, that this information is up to date, nor accurate. Provided for informational use only. User is responsible to verify information relevant to his/her travels, and LEO encounters.
Last edited by Big Dave; 04-25-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: SC is required to notify officer

That information is from April of 2007.

From my research there is NO state that requires anyone to approach an LEO and inform them they are armed. ALL states that require notification are upon approach by the officer TO YOU. ALL states appear to require that you acknowledge you are armed IF ASKED BY LEO even if there is no requirement to immediately inform.

The whole thought of approaching every LEO you are near and informing them you are armed or handing out cards will simply make all CCW look like idiots and eventually lead to the lowering of our respect and potentially the restriction of our privledges... PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Kansas Requirement

I can fill in the Kansas requirement for you. I live an have a ccw license there/here. You are not required to inform LEO unless you are asked. Also LEO has the right to take and control your weapon during your interaction with him/her.

2beararms said it all. If I was an LEO sitting on a park bench or having a cup of coffee in a diner and someone out of the blue comes over to me unannounced to inform me they are CC, it would give me pause to think they were slightly "off" and I probably would instinctively put my hand near my weapon "just in case". This initial question just makes no sense whatsoever; hopefully the threadwriter has learned something about his CC obligations and should probably reread his state's statutes and pay more attention to many of the informative threads that populate this forum.

In Utah it's recommended but not required during a traffic stop. That's the only time it's addressed. You're under no obligation to say anything.

hmmm...what is conceal/carry for that you have to inform each and every officer that go IN A DINER...??? Would they be looking for you or they are on a coffee break? What if 10 of them enter the diner, will you not get tired of telling them or distributing them your card? :no:

Hey Tucker's Mom: I may be mistaken but in SC and, most likely all states that have CCW laws, you are not required to run over to each and every LEO that you can see near and far and tell them you are CC and whow them your CCWP; it is only meant as a requirement when the LEO is actually conducting some form of LEO-business with you during the course of his LEO activities. He stops your car for some reason--in SC you must show your CCWP--I do not believe you must show it if you do not have your CCW on you (what's the point anyway?). You see an LEO in a diner and he is drinking his coffee and does not even know you are there--in SC--so what--who cares--no one--running over to exclaim your CCW and CCWP is ridiculous.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back