Post office carry

clay5769

Hi all I know in Florida you can NOT carry in a state or Federal buildings schools bars stadiums etc, but is a post office considered a federal building?? it does not say post office in Florida laws..

ALL Post Offices are off limits to carrying firearms. If you look you will see a sign that says this with an outline of a revolver with a circle around it and a line through it. This just makes it another "Criminals Safety Zone, No Guns Allowed!".

Hi all I know in Florida you can NOT carry in a state or Federal buildings schools bars stadiums etc, but is a post office considered a federal building?? it does not say post office in Florida laws..
clay, this has been covered before. Some say you can, most say you can't. Why don't you contact the postal inspectors and ask them. I leave my carry in the car when doing business at the USPS. It ain't a big deal.

clay, this has been covered before. Some say you can, most say you can't. Why don't you contact the postal inspectors and ask them. I leave my carry in the car when doing business at the USPS. It ain't a big deal.

Thanks I have never seen any sign on the post office I go to that is why I asked..:fie:
I guess what you said works best better off leaving it in the car rather then take a change and break the law.:yu:.
when in doubt leave it out...:pleasantry:

I can't recall ever seeing a specific sign outside of any USPO in my life. Especially not over the last decade or two.

BTW, the USPS is not a gov't entity, for those who don't know.

That question has yet to be answered to my satisfaction. At the post offices I have visited I see the official sign that states it's illegal so... I have a safe box in my truck so if I need to run in I lock it in the safe.

Remember the police can arrest you for any offense they think you may have committed, The judge will be the one to decide if it was right or wrong and will tell them not to do so again if they were in fact in error. So to avoid unnecessary financial and legal hassles avoid the activity that would be questionable or has been posted as being illegal.

Just my 2 pennies..

Peace...

I can't recall ever seeing a specific sign outside of any USPO in my life. Especially not over the last decade or two.

BTW, the USPS is not a gov't entity, for those who don't know.

Every time I have seen the sign, it was not on the door...it was on a bulletin board inside...so you had to go in just to see a sign saying you can go in....:no:

Every time I have seen the sign, it was not on the door...it was on a bulletin board inside...so you had to go in just to see a sign saying you can go in....:no:

None in south west Florida by me... signs saying you can not ship guns and explosives etc..:no:

Concealed carry NOT allowed in USPS buildings

from Michigan State Police web site: Link Removed

Information for CPL Holders

1. What must a CCW permit holder do when "stopped" by police?

Please See: Encounters with Police.

2. Are there any places where I may not carry a concealed pistol?

MCL 28.425o Anyone licensed to carry a concealed pistol from Michigan or another state shall not carry a concealed pistol in any of the pistol free zones. For a complete list, please see: Pistol Free Areas . Under Federal law, firearms are also restricted in federal facilities. A federal facility means "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." This includes facilities such as post offices and federal courts.

It is a real shame, though, that the USPS is one of the places where carrying concealed is prohibited ... think "going POSTAL...."

See I wish it was that cut and dry in Florida there laws on a lot of things are not spelled out like that on some they are but not a lot..

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

The bottom line here in Florida it is all interpretation and intent.. I emailed our licensing agency with a plain yes or no question and what I got back was a very Nice polite and well worded email and it basically said I can not tell you you can or you can not do what you asked. it is what the judge interpret the law to mean. he told me they get lots and lots of email asking specific questions every day like can I carry 2 magazines, can I have a round in the chamber ,what size weapon can I carry etc etc. so other then the laws that are black in white it will be what the judges and lawyers interpret it to mean and your intent.. that is more or less what I was told in the email.. IMO

I saw on the Gun Network that you can't even carry a gun in your car on U.S. Postal Property. That means you can't bring it into the parking lot either, not just the building. This was recently passed.

39 CFR 232.1 (CFR = Code of Federal Regulations):

§ 232.1 Conduct on postal property.

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property.

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

(p) Penalties and other law. (1) Alleged violations of these rules and regulations are heard, and the penalties prescribed herein are imposed, either in a Federal district court or by a Federal magistrate in accordance with applicable court rules. Questions regarding such rules should be directed to the regional counsel for the region involved.

(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than that allowed under title 18 of the United States Code or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations or any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.

(q) Enforcement. (1) Members of the U.S. Postal Service security force shall exercise the powers provided by 18 U.S.C. 3061(c)(2) and shall be responsible for enforcing the regulations in this section in a manner that will protect Postal Service property and persons thereon.

(2) Local postmasters and installation heads may, pursuant to 40 U.S.C. 1315(d)(3) and with the approval of the chief postal inspector or his designee, enter into agreements with State and local enforcement agencies to insure that these rules and regulations are enforced in a manner that will protect Postal Service property.

(3) Postal Inspectors, Office of Inspector General Criminal Investigators, and other persons designated by the Chief Postal Inspector may likewise enforce regulations in this section.

Link Removed

Even leaving the gun in your car, if parked in the post office parking lot, is illegal. And that's really nothing new, either.

BTW, "for official purposes" applies to carrying the gun, not to visiting the post office. Examples of official purpose would be LEO who are carrying their duty firearms, military members if for some reason they are carrying firearms issued to them, and to actually mail a firearm. Buying stamps is NOT an official purpose for carrying a firearm.

usps158.jpg

Link Removed

39 CFR 232.1 (CFR = Code of Federal Regulations):

§ 232.1 Conduct on postal property.

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Link Removed

This means we're just as much in the wrong if we lock our weapons in the car, as we are if we carry our weapon inside with us.

The only places that I have seen the X'ed out pistol signs was when we went to Cedar Point in Ohio. I can't carry in Ohio anyway because they don't recognize Indiana's permit. (Stupid) I was told, by the police here, that in Indiana one cannot carry into the post office because they consider it a Federal building, so I don't. I believe in states rights, but the carry laws from state to state are seriously confusing and frustrating!:wacko:

See I wish it was that cut and dry in Florida there laws on a lot of things are not spelled out like that on some they are but not a lot..

The bottom line here in Florida it is all interpretation and intent.. I emailed our licensing agency with a plain yes or no question and what I got back was a very Nice polite and well worded email and it basically said I can not tell you you can or you can not do what you asked.

I was told, by the police here, that in Indiana one cannot carry into the post office because they consider it a Federal building, so I don't. I believe in states rights, but the carry laws from state to state are seriously confusing and frustrating!:wacko:
I'm not sure if you guys are really understanding the bottom line or not. It matters not how the state laws are written, or what your respective state's licensing agency says. You are talking about a federal facility, where federal law trumps all. In all 50 states, it is illegal to possess a firearm in the post office "except for official purposes".

BTW, you MAY mail a firearm through the USPS, however there is a certain procedure that must be followed. IIRC, it may only be mailed to a FFL, manufacturer, place of repair, etc., it must be packaged a specific way (unloaded of course), you must declare it to be such and you must fill out the proper forms. (The rules are very well laid out on the USPS website.) You may NOT mail ammo through the USPS.

I am still trying to figure out why it is so hard to interpret that "no person while on postal property may carry firearms!"

oh.... and....

"or store the same on postal property"

Is it REALLY THAT hard to understand?

Armas y explosivos. Sin perjuicio de las disposiciones de cualquier otra ley, norma o reglamento, a ninguna persona mientras que los bienes de franqueo pueden portar armas de fuego, otras armas peligrosas o mortales, o explosivos, de forma abierta o encubierta, o almacenar la misma en la propiedad de postales, excepto para fines oficiales.

Waffen und Sprengstoff. Ungeachtet der Bestimmungen anderer Gesetze, Regeln oder Vorschriften, keine Person, während auf postalische Eigenschaft kann Schusswaffen, andere gefährliche oder tödliche Waffen oder Sprengstoff, entweder offen oder verdeckt, oder lagern Sie das gleiche auf postalische Eigenschaft, außer für dienstliche Zwecke zu tragen.

武器や爆発物。他の法律、規則または規制上の郵便プロパティは、銃器、その他の危険や致命的な武器、または爆発のいずれか公然とまたは隠したり、公的な目的以外の郵便プロパティに、同じものを保存して実行するかもしれないが何人もの規定にかかわらず。

וועפּאַנז און יקספּלאָוסיווז. ניט קוקנדיק די פּראַוויזשאַנז פון קיין אנדערע געזעץ, הערשן אָדער רעגולירן, קיין מענטש בשעת אויף פּאָוסטאַל פאַרמאָג זאל פירן פייעראַרמז, אנדערע געפערלעך אָדער דעדלי וועפּאַנז, אָדער יקספּלאָוסיווז, אָדער אפן אָדער פאַרבאָרגן, אָדער קראָם דער זעלביקער אויף פּאָוסטאַל פאַרמאָג, אַחוץ פֿאַר באַאַמטער צוועקן.

Does that help any?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back