Pennsylvania Licence

PastorMCC

Already have an Ohio resident licence; What is the easiest way to apply and obtain a Pennsylvania licence?

Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania

Who can apply for a Pennsylvania License to Carry?

An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply for a license to carry firearms by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to the sheriff of the county in which they reside or if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city along with the required fee.

Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.

The sheriff has 45 days to conduct an investigation to determine an individual's eligibility to be issued a license. Included in the investigation is a background check conducted on the individual through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) to determine if the records indicate the individual is prohibited by law. In accordance with 18 PA C.S. §6109, a sheriff may deny an individual the right to a License to Carry Firearms if there is reason to believe that the character and reputation of the individual are such that they would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

If the PICS check is approved and the subject is of good character, the sheriff may issue a License to Carry Firearms. The issuance of a License to Carry Firearms allows individuals to carry a firearm concealed on or about their person, or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth. The license is valid for a period of five (5) years unless sooner revoked.

NOTE: A license to carry firearms is NOT a license to purchase. Individuals who purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer are required to have a background check conducted regardless of whether they have a license to carry firearms or not.

Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania

Who can apply for a Pennsylvania License to Carry?

An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply for a license to carry firearms by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to the sheriff of the county in which they reside or if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city along with the required fee.

Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.

The sheriff has 45 days to conduct an investigation to determine an individual's eligibility to be issued a license. Included in the investigation is a background check conducted on the individual through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) to determine if the records indicate the individual is prohibited by law. In accordance with 18 PA C.S. §6109, a sheriff may deny an individual the right to a License to Carry Firearms if there is reason to believe that the character and reputation of the individual are such that they would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

If the PICS check is approved and the subject is of good character, the sheriff may issue a License to Carry Firearms. The issuance of a License to Carry Firearms allows individuals to carry a firearm concealed on or about their person, or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth. The license is valid for a period of five (5) years unless sooner revoked.

NOTE: A license to carry firearms is NOT a license to purchase. Individuals who purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer are required to have a background check conducted regardless of whether they have a license to carry firearms or not.

I was under the impression that PA changed the nonresident law so that you have to go in person to apply as it is not legal to do it by mail anymore.
Can you post a link to where one would get the documents you mentioned online?

From everything that I have been hearing and reading, you are correct. It seems as though PA has stopped issuing permits via mailed aplications. It should not be a problem however to drive into PA and get your license since you live in a bordering state. And my understanding is that most people who already have a license from their home state usually get their permit during their initial visit. It would probably be wise however to find out which counties are receptive to issuing out of state permits. There are still a small number of sheriffs who refuse to issue permits to non residents.

Hopefully this will work but just in case...
Pennsylvania state police website has the info you seek...
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=4451&&PageID=462424&level=2&css=L2&mode=2

Also if you have a smartphone look into the ccw concealed carry 50 states app. I use it a lot!

Two things to be aware of. First, not every Sheriff will accept applications from non-residents. I have also heard that a few counties require the references to be residents of the county you apply in.

PAFOA keeps a nice list of which counties will accept non-resident applications:

Link Removed

If you are in NE Ohio go to Mercer County....very easy ..took me about 20 minutes to get it. But that was last spring so I would assume they are a bit busier now.
Here are the forms and instructions:
Link Removed

They are issued by county sheriff's. Find the closest PA county to you, go on that county's sheriff's website and follow their directions. In Allegheny County, there is an online form that you fill out. Once you are cleared, they issue you a yellow post card. Bring that in (I believe you have 30 days) to the sheriff's office and they'll take your photo and out the door you go with your LTCF. I believe the current cost is $20 for 5 years.

Hope that helps.

I was under the impression that PA changed the nonresident law so that you have to go in person to apply as it is not legal to do it by mail anymore.
Can you post a link to where one would get the documents you mentioned online?

You are correct. I went to renew on my birthday late last year for my 3rd PA. license and could not because their new law does require for me to show up in person. I called to verify and the gal told me I could renew if I made a trip in person, to which I replied that I was not prepared to travel from Ca. for the renewal. She was quite nice and apologetic. I told her I was disappointed that I would no longer have their license and had appreciated giving them my money for their respect for a non-resident carry license and that if they ever changed the personal appearance regulations I would again apply.

I do have reciprocity through other carry permits.

BTW, Centre co. was the issuer of my license.

Hi All, Does anyone know which county's in PA issue PA Non-resident permits?? Besides Centre County. I have a renewal I'm located in NY and Centre County is 260 miles from me to renew. They have to capture you signature electronically for renewals so you can't renew by mail anymore. So I'm looking for a vounty closer to NY for me to renew.
thanks all
Gerry

I got mine in Mercer county as well, early last year. I was in and out in 15 minutes, but make sure you have everything filled out and the proper copies if needed.

Thank you Kal, your post was most helpful along with the link to the Sheriff's Office Homepage. Now I just have to make a trip to get the permit.

And yes you must apply in person.

Not true. Some Sheriffs will accept an application mailed in, but you must go in person to pick it up, get photographed, etc.
Best to determine this ahead of time. Some Sheriffs will issue 'on the spot' and others will not. Although the process is supposed
to be uniform throughout the state, wiggle room exists.

But there is no statutory requirement to apply in person.

And yes you must apply in person.

Not true. Some Sheriffs will accept an application mailed in, but you must go in person to pick it up, get photographed, etc.
Best to determine this ahead of time. Some Sheriffs will issue 'on the spot' and others will not. Although the process is supposed
to be uniform throughout the state, wiggle room exists.

But there is no statutory requirement to apply in person.

Thanks for the correction, I know I've read somewhere but can't find it now. Will post site if found.

Just got off of the phone with Mercer County PA. Sheriff's office; They no longer accept out of town applications for PA license; does anyone know of any other county in PA close to the Ohio border that still accept applications for permits for CC?

They are issued by county sheriff's. Find the closest PA county to you, go on that county's sheriff's website and follow their directions. In Allegheny County, there is an online form that you fill out. Once you are cleared, they issue you a yellow post card. Bring that in (I believe you have 30 days) to the sheriff's office and they'll take your photo and out the door you go with your LTCF. I believe the current cost is $20 for 5 years.

Hope that helps.

You have to turn in the application in person. You pay at that time. On the App. you give 2 references. They will notify you that you have been approved (hopefully) at which point you have 30 days to go back to the Sheriff.

You have to turn in the application in person. You pay at that time. On the App. you give 2 references. They will notify you that you have been approved (hopefully) at which point you have 30 days to go back to the Sheriff.

Is that just for non-residents that they have to both turn in their application in person AND their yellow card? I'm a resident and have never turned in an application in person. I've always emailed or mailed the application, received the yellow card and then went down to the Sheriff's office.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back