Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP

HootmonSccy

Link Removed vs. Ruger LCP:

OK.. I know what opinions are like.. But does anyone have experience with BOTH of these and/or have an opinion on IF you were going to buy ONE of these, which one would you go with..
The TCP is a newer design (I believe) it has better sights, is $50 cheaper and is made in the USA
Why would someone NOT go with the Taurus over the Ruger???

We have a Sig P238 and are very happy with it, but my friend is considering these..

One other feature is that the slide locks open on the Taurus after the last shot. One of the few pocket .380's that does this. Rifleman magazine did an article on pocket .380s' awhile back with the TCP being one of 9 test subjects. The Ruger LCP was also one of the test subjects. There were things that were better with some and not with others but overall the author liked the Taurus best.

It's been my experience, and that of several gun owners that I know, that Ruger makes a better and more reliable gun when compared to Taurus.

Now before you Taurus owners get all riled up, I'm not saying that every Taurus is a POS nor am I saying that every Ruger is flawless. It's just my experience.

I own an LCP and I love it.

The Taurus fits my hand better. I wear a size large glove. I like the slide staying open after the last shot. The sights are pretty good for a small gun. Taurus has a lifetime guarantee. It comes with a "holster" too. It looks like camera box, but you can wear it on your belt outside. That's a plus for me.

TCP vs LCP

It's been my experience, and that of several gun owners that I know, that Ruger makes a better and more reliable gun when compared to Taurus.

Now before you Taurus owners get all riled up, I'm not saying that every Taurus is a POS nor am I saying that every Ruger is flawless. It's just my experience.

That's your opinion B2Tall, but not everybodies. I own a TCP, my daughter owns an LCP, so I've had the oportunity to handle/fire both. My TCP looks better, has better craftsmanship than her LCP, a lighter trigger pull, the slide locks back after the last rd is fired, and it's not a Kel-Tek P-3AT clone either. As for accuracy, I would have to say their about equal out to 12 yards... after that your playing with luck, not accuracy. That is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it! :pleasantry:

It definitely is a better looking gun than the Ruger. Like you said, accuracy past about 7 paces is luck, not skill. These are belly guns. if you want to have something for a firefight, neither one is adequate.

My wife and I have had very recent experiance with both, last summer when the TCPs came out we got one, shot good right off the bat, with the exception of the occasional bad rd, not guns fault, the primer was dented, but no boom, she carryed it on her ankle, and I carryed a S&W 442 on my ankle, but it was uncomfortable, we looked at the LCP a couple of times but did not or could not agree on price, and we do a lot of tradeing, and a good deal never came up, 3 weeks ago we got a acceptable deal on one (LCP) went to the range had some minor issues with it right from the start, a few FTEs mainly, we also had differant mags and this did not seem to make any differance, also it seemed to be really difficult to get unjammed, it would go 3-4 mags without a problem then jam, several diff brands of ammo, had it to the range three time since getting it, and yesterday with almost 300 rds thru it did not seem to be any better, also thr trigger pull seemed overly long, noticably longer than the TCP, so when we left the range we went stait to my gun guy, and traded the LCP for another TCP, and today two box's went thru it without a hiccup, and finaly the Taurus just seemed to have a better feel than the Ruger, for both of us, if somebody buys a Ruger LCP and shoots it much at all and really likes it, great more power to them, but I would almost bet if some people that dont have no perticular love or hate for ether brand would pick the Taurus over the Ruger, if they had a chance to shoot both first, and before anybody post's back about limp wristing the Ruger, this was not the case, it had problems when ether her or I were shooting it

If you get a chance shoot a TCP, and I will bet you would be suprized,

Link Removed vs. Ruger LCP:

OK.. I know what opinions are like.. But does anyone have experience with BOTH of these and/or have an opinion on IF you were going to buy ONE of these, which one would you go with..
The TCP is a newer design (I believe) it has better sights, is $50 cheaper and is made in the USA
Why would someone NOT go with the Taurus over the Ruger???

We have a Sig P238 and are very happy with it, but my friend is considering these..

If its $50 cheaper somebodys trying to jam you up on the Ruger, and if the dudes or ladies are really honest with themself I can't beleve they would chose a LCP over the TCP

I first shot a Ruger auto more than 30 yrs ago. It was a .22 and I was a teenager. It functioned perfectly. Last week I shot my LCP. It functioned perfectly (300+ rounds overall). In the 3 decades in between I have shot many a Ruger and never had a problem with any of them.

Last month I shot a friend's Taurus. It could not go through a mag w/o a FTF (we were using very reliable ammo). 3 of us shot it and all 3 of us had the same problem. This was simply the latest in a long line of reliability issues with Taurus that I have experienced or that I have had people tell me about. Maybe Taurus has has improved its product recently, maybe they haven't.

I don't give a hoot about whether a gun looks good (some here seem to make the gun's appearance a high priority). I care about whether it shoots when I pull the trigger and about where the slugs go. Based on that I'll take a Ruger any day over a cool looking Taurus.

To each his own.

I first shot a Ruger auto more than 30 yrs ago. It was a .22 and I was a teenager. It functioned perfectly. Last week I shot my LCP. It functioned perfectly (300+ rounds overall). In the 3 decades in between I have shot many a Ruger and never had a problem with any of them.

Last month I shot a friend's Taurus. It could not go through a mag w/o a FTF (we were using very reliable ammo). 3 of us shot it and all 3 of us had the same problem. This was simply the latest in a long line of reliability issues with Taurus that I have experienced or that I have had people tell me about. Maybe Taurus has has improved its product recently, maybe they haven't.

I don't give a hoot about whether a gun looks good (some here seem to make the gun's appearance a high priority). I care about whether it shoots when I pull the trigger and about where the slugs go. Based on that I'll take a Ruger any day over a cool looking Taurus.

To each his own.

I expected to encounter some malfunctions at first with the Taurus too, based on all I had read about small semiautos in general. I was pleasantly surprised when I first shot it. No FTE/FTF at all. I haven't, YET, had any problems with it. Well, to be honest, I have had ONE problem with it. I can't hit ANYTHING! Ya think it could be the gun? LOL!!!

I own the ruger LCP , love the lil beast, mines never jams, overall is excellent gun no complaints.. the taurus TCP is the same sh!!!t.. go try both the one you like buy it shoot 100 rds FMJ and some JHP... and you ready !!! this gun is not a range gun so if you plan shooting alot get a bersa is bigger and got better sights....

We have 4 taurus 2-709 Slim & now 2-TCP. We had the Ruger LCP for all of 3 weeks. We put roughly 250 rounds & had issues with it not FTE & FTF! It wasn't constant but still after what we fired thur it plus a cleaning just wouldn't stop having these issues!
Since we both had the same problems Limp Wristing wasn't an issue.Plus I waited till hubby fired it before I told him what it was doing on me! This way he wasn't looking or expecting something to happen! We went back to our gun store traded it out for the 2nd TCP!
We've never had any issues with any of the Taurus we own! I guess we just lucked out on ours! 4 out of 4 and they all fire each & every time! I for one would & do carry them & trust they will fire if I need to use them!
We also have 3-Glocks [the G-21,,G-36,,G-27] ,454 Super Red Hawk & 22-Walter,Plus we just added HR 12-gauge pump !
Has to the looks of the weapon thats not what WE look at frist! For me its the size of the weapon, the weight, the feel, if I can rack it, if I can conceal & have it be comfortable. I perfer black on black. I totally dislike all the pink & the blue grips on weapons! If it was the only thing I could get I be replacing the grips before I'd even fire it or carry it!
Its nice to have a good range of choices,

I have an older Taurus J-Frame 38 and a PT-111. Both weapons have had issues. I had to peen a pin on the revolver (fell out inside gun, jamming the trigger), and the PT-111 mag release causes my large hands to drop mags all the time. Would not rely on either. Well, maybe the J-Frame since I fixed it myself. This was a quality control issue, not a design flaw.

My Ruger Mark IIs, 10/22s, and LCP are totally reliable.

Maybe the new Taurus is great. Mine are all 10 years old or older. But I personally do not trust Taurus weapons for personal defense.

I'm sure the little Taurus .380s will sell really well, so we can moniter the boards for performance issues. The LCPs have proven very reliable so far.

Having owned a few Tauri in my lifetime, I can give a review of three of them. The older model Tuari did have some quality control issues. My first handgun was a Taurus .38 revolver. Never had any problems with it but I didn't have it that long. I also owned a PT-99 and a PT-111. The 99 (Beretta clone) was a GREAT gun! God I wish I hadn't sold that gun! My PT-111 however would have FTF's periodically. It is my viewpoint that the newer Taurus guns are of much better quality. Especially their Beretta 92 and 1911 clones.

Having owned a few Tauri in my lifetime, I can give a review of three of them. The older model Tuari did have some quality control issues. My first handgun was a Taurus .38 revolver. Never had any problems with it but I didn't have it that long. I also owned a PT-99 and a PT-111. The 99 (Beretta clone) was a GREAT gun! God I wish I hadn't sold that gun! My PT-111 however would have FTF's periodically. It is my viewpoint that the newer Taurus guns are of much better quality. Especially their Beretta 92 and 1911 clones.

I can personally attest to the reliability of the 1911 I purchased a couple years ago. A sweet firearm, no complaints at all. My impression is that Taurus has been paying more attention to quality in recent years, so maybe that's it. (I will also admit to replacing the Taurus as my primary carry piece with a .45 XD, but it wasn't due to the quality of the Taurus.)

Both my father and I have owned Taurus for 30 yrs, every one has performed flawlessly. I'd trust them under any conditions.

All this proves is there is no company that builds guns especialy semi autos that is 100% perfect all the time, I'm sure the Glocks, and higher end 1911s, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and some others have there share of trouble, maybe few and far between, but still, I see some guys squawk about there $400 gun jamming or doing something screwy, now how pissed would you be if your new $2500 Wilson jammed up, now please don't post back and say Wilsons don't do that, I know better

Which 1

Well the consensus here is it's a toss up. I owned both and shot a couple hundred rounds thru each. I ended up trading the LCP in on a Ruger SR9c. The little Taurus carries nicely in its supplied camera pouch and I've not ever had a FTF or FTE from it. I also like the key lock built into it :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back