Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP

I do like my Rugers.

BUT, my main concern with Taurus is the factory/customer service is in Brazil ~ Ruger's customer service and accessory dept. is in Arizona. Ruger firearms can have problem. Taurus firearms can have problems. How quick can you get the problem resolved is my concern.

To be honest, when the wife got her Ruger SP101, she narrowed it down to a stainless 38 Special Taurus with a vented barrel and the stainless Ruger .357. She did like them both, but settled on the Ruger cause she could use .38 and .357 mag in it. The Taurus was a cheaper price. Not cheap, but cheaper.

Each person should buy what they LIKE and not what other people likes. I know a fella who has carried an old chrome Raven .25 and swears it's the best weapon he ever owned. He has the right to his opinion.

Hey Naybor, I like your avitar! :biggrin:

Well, I bought an LCP a few weeks ago, intending to take it with me on an upcoming trip. The slide lock doesn't move, or is more difficult to move than I can manage, so I can't lock back the slide, but I don't consider that the most important thing in the world..

I've put about 150 rounds through it with no FTE, but it has balked a few times, when chambering the first round. Today I put 25 rounds of Corbon JHP through it, since I have been considering that as a defensive load. I must have had at least seven FTF problems with it, using that ammo. Forget that stuff, for now.

This has been my first crack at a DAO gun, and I can safely say that it will be my only one. The half mile of trigger travel, coupled with its miniscule size, makes accuracy a real challenge. However, in a close quarter situation, with FMJ ammo, I suppose that it's better than nothing. I'll be close to Prescott, so maybe I could drop in and have them take a look at it while I'm there.

That's just my two cents, anyway. After today's trip to the range, I'm leaning more towards packing my Charter Arms Bulldog...

I had owned an LCP and the Taurus 738, but got rid of them both. The Taurus was finicky with some ammo and the LCP I could not hit crap with it. They are neat guns, for what they are, but I am afraid that in a stressful situation, I would not have handled them as well as my Kel Tec P-11 or Sigma.

I first shot a Ruger auto more than 30 yrs ago. It was a .22 and I was a teenager. It functioned perfectly. Last week I shot my LCP. It functioned perfectly (300+ rounds overall). In the 3 decades in between I have shot many a Ruger and never had a problem with any of them.

Last month I shot a friend's Taurus. It could not go through a mag w/o a FTF (we were using very reliable ammo). 3 of us shot it and all 3 of us had the same problem. This was simply the latest in a long line of reliability issues with Taurus that I have experienced or that I have had people tell me about. Maybe Taurus has has improved its product recently, maybe they haven't.

I don't give a hoot about whether a gun looks good (some here seem to make the gun's appearance a high priority). I care about whether it shoots when I pull the trigger and about where the slugs go. Based on that I'll take a Ruger any day over a cool looking Taurus.

To each his own.

I will ride along with B2TALL on this one. Actually, I wanted to pick up a Bersa, but locally none were available. The Ruger LCP and the rest of my Rugers function just as designed.

My wife and like the little LCP/TCP for bugs, at first we had one of each and hated the LCP, way to long trigger pull and very undependable operation, on the other hand the 738 very rarely has a problem, in fack if you keep it reasonaly clean I have no trouble

1. Taurus is made in USA but owned by foreign company. Ruger is 100% USA owned and manufactured. I only mention this because the OP lauded the fact that Taurus is built in USA.

2. Every Taurus I have owned (only 2 weapons) has needed repair due to poor craftsmanship. Granted I haven't purchased a Taurus in many years.

3. TCP is a beautiful little gun, but craftsmanship is about equal with my LCP (compared side by side)

4. My LCP goes bang every time, and I trust it. I don't trust Taurus weapons and never will. That's just me.

5. "My slide won't lock back" is a very common complaint for the TCP. Maybe they will fix that as the design gets upgraded.

6. LCP failures to fire that I have seen have virtually all been caused by limp wristing the gun. Few people have experience with these little guns.

I'm sure the TCP is a great little gun; just would not personally buy one. However, having owned and operated my LCP through about 550 rouinds, I wanted to make sure it did not get short changed in this discussion. I trust this little guy with my life on a daily basis.

Well, I bought an LCP a few weeks ago, intending to take it with me on an upcoming trip. The slide lock doesn't move, or is more difficult to move than I can manage, so I can't lock back the slide, but I don't consider that the most important thing in the world..

I've put about 150 rounds through it with no FTE, but it has balked a few times, when chambering the first round. Today I put 25 rounds of Corbon JHP through it, since I have been considering that as a defensive load. I must have had at least seven FTF problems with it, using that ammo. Forget that stuff, for now.

This has been my first crack at a DAO gun, and I can safely say that it will be my only one. The half mile of trigger travel, coupled with its miniscule size, makes accuracy a real challenge. However, in a close quarter situation, with FMJ ammo, I suppose that it's better than nothing. I'll be close to Prescott, so maybe I could drop in and have them take a look at it while I'm there.

That's just my two cents, anyway. After today's trip to the range, I'm leaning more towards packing my Charter Arms Bulldog...

Mouse guns pretty much all have the issue with chambering the first round. You can't ride the slide the least little bit or it will not fully chamber the round. I'd suggest using the slide lock to chamber the first round but it sounds like that may be out of the question right now...

I have an LCP and had to send it to Ruger for barrel peening. It was gone a total of 3 weeks, including the week that UPS tried to deliver it to me. Ruger customer service is outstanding.

Accuracy is a challenge, at least partly due to the sights. I put a Crimson Trace on mine since it is about the easiet way to upgrade the sights, but honestly I don't know that it is really necessary since this is a "belly gun."

Took my LCP to the range a few days ago. 50 rounds, fired every time (always has), and I got nice groupings with double-taps at about 20 feet. As far as ammo goes, I would be reluctant to use HP rounds in any pocket gun. I use Corbon Powerball or Hornaday Critical Defense in all my pistols. That type of ammo is more reliable when it comes to feeds.

Like the poster who quoted me above, I'll stick with Rugers.

Took my LCP to the range a few days ago. 50 rounds, fired every time (always has), and I got nice groupings with double-taps at about 20 feet. As far as ammo goes, I would be reluctant to use HP rounds in any pocket gun. I use Corbon Powerball or Hornaday Critical Defense in all my pistols. That type of ammo is more reliable when it comes to feeds.

Yeah, with just a little training it was easy to be combat accurate with the LCP. Not sure why folks are having problems with accuracy.

Defense ammo in LCP vs TCP

COR®BON DPX was not reliable in LCP. But I have heard that it runs well in the TCP.

This is from a review i did on a popular retailers website:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As others have said, it will NOT run reliably in an LCP. I measured these against PMC FMJ .380. This ammunition has a strange crimp about 1/3" below neck to hold in the bullet. At the crimp, the case is wider than standard (it bulges). It is also slightly shorter in overall length:
PMC FMJ:
Length 24.71 mm = 0.973 inches
Diameter near neck 9.4 mm = 0.370 inches
COR®BON DPX:
Length 24.03 mm = 0.946 inches
Diameter near crmip 9.51 mm = 0.374 inches
Most importantly, these have a very sharp edge on the hollow point that is larger in diameter than a standard bullet at that location, and that is what I believe is catching on the feed ramp. It could be a combination of all three; the bulge, the wide bullet, and the sharp edge. In my LCP Remington Golden Saber works reliably.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that is a plus for the TCP.

I've noticed that the feed action in my LCP is much smoother using non-HP ammo. I have a box of .380 DPX and found that the action was a bit herky-jerky when I cycled it through the LCP. I switched to Powerball and the problem went away. Never a problem with FMJ range ammo either.

As far as some people having problems with the LCP's accuracy, some of the things I've read lead me to believe that some folks are expecting the performance of a full size pistol when the use an LCP or something similar. It's a pocket gun - something designed to be used at very short ranges. When I was shooting at a target that was 20ft away I was using the LCP at what I would consider long range for a pocket gun.

I have done the same with the TCP[Shot it over and over with different ammo with no problems]. I love the extra mag, the SS and the holster all for less than the LCP. My TCP feeds anything including reloads that I have ran through it. I have Ruger’s, several, I have a couple of Taurus, Colts, Walther’s and S&Ws, Berettas and others. I do not limit myself to one gun or one company that would just be stupid. I have never understood why some seem to be brand loyal, do you really think if you are loyal that they will pay your rent when you can't?

Brands do not care about you but your money. They are not concerned about people but profit. I need to be concerned about me and my wallet. If I can get a bargain on a Glock [I have a 19] and am in the market for one great, but I also bought a S&W Sigma for 300 new and got the 50$ mail in rebate so all in for 250 and the seller threw in an extra 45$ mag. So for 200 I have a gun that has yet after 500 rds. to FTF. I like the Glock but a great deal was 399, 200 for a gun that is SS, 3 mags Case and 16 rds is dirt cheap, and that shoots well.

The trigger pull is stiff but not bad and if you know how to handle a gun its little problem. I will stick with what gives me the most bang for my $ as no company will give me supplement checks when times are hard.

I also noticed the lame attempt of Ruger to try to entice buyers, the "Special offer" Fill out the form and send in your info and gun serial no and we will give you 20% off our over inflated sports wear. I could not quit laughing long enough to hit the delet button. If I buy another Ruger it will be used and a deal not over priced like they have become from a dealer. And if I want sports wear I will buy it at discount somewhere not from their shop that is made in China by slave labor and sold like Nike at 1000 times the cost. Like paying DeBeers for a diamond because they are so "rare' Diamonds are not that rare they are just that controled.

Golden Sabers work well in most LCPs. I've never had a problem with them in mine and they are about 10% heavier than most other HPs, better for penetration.

I do not limit myself to one gun or one company that would just be stupid. I have never understood why some seem to be brand loyal, do you really think if you are loyal that they will pay your rent when you can't? .

I'm brand loyal because some brands are better than others. I don't only own Rugers (I also own 2 HKs, a Glock, and a S&W), I'd just take a Ruger any day over a Taurus. That's what this whole thread is about - a Ruger pistol vs a Taurus pistol. The dealer that I've bought most of my guns from stopped carrying Taurus products a number of years ago because, by his estimate, 4 out of every 10 people who bought Taurus guns from him were very unhappy with their purchase. I'm not at all surprised by that considering my own experience with Taurus products as well as other gun owners I've spoken to.

Well I have never had any trouble with the several Taurus pistols I have owned, but opinions are like ass holes everyones got one and thinks theirs does not stink. I have had trouble with Ruger, the p97, the slide stop pin kept flying out during shooting, there were a lot of people on line complaining about it but Ruger said they did not have a problem, True they did not the owners of the POS did.
I got nothing from ruger, and when I had a problem with a mag they said it was fine and there was nothing wrong, when I called taurus with the same problem they sent me one free of charge. Rugers customer service has slipped to a point that unless I get a gun cheap I would skip them.

CorBon DPX is the only round I ever had trouble with.

DPX was definitely the worst for my LCP although they still cycled through successfully. Just not smooth at all. Golden Sabers were an improvement but I found that Powerballs and Critical Defense are smooth like "buttuh" :no:

Well I have never had any trouble with the several Taurus pistols I have owned, but opinions are like ass holes everyones got one and thinks theirs does not stink. I have had trouble with Ruger, the p97, the slide stop pin kept flying out during shooting, there were a lot of people on line complaining about it but Ruger said they did not have a problem, True they did not the owners of the POS did.
I got nothing from ruger, and when I had a problem with a mag they said it was fine and there was nothing wrong, when I called taurus with the same problem they sent me one free of charge. Rugers customer service has slipped to a point that unless I get a gun cheap I would skip them.

If you like Taurus then by all means stick with them. I'm not here to convert any Taurus fans....I'm just offering my 2 cents of insight for the original question: TCP or LCP.

BTW, I've never had to deal with Ruger's customer service. :biggrin:

If you like Taurus then by all means stick with them. I'm not here to convert any Taurus fans....I'm just offering my 2 cents of insight for the original question: TCP or LCP.

BTW, I've never had to deal with Ruger's customer service. :biggrin:

There have been thousands of people who have had to deal with it. Your just lucky I guess.

I just completed a test to see what company did best, I called Taurus and Ruger, told them I sent a mag back for repair and that I have not received it. Ruger told me that it was not their problem and that I was basically SOL, Taurus sent me two mags to make a happy customer. I had never sent any mags back for repair. Ruger told me that if they lost it and had no record of it that was my problem. Taurus sent me mags out without question. I called and told them that I had made a mistake and never sent in the mags and I now wanted to pay for the mags the sent, and that I would post this customer service around the net. They told me that they just want happy customers and to just keep the mags. Ruger was going to stick it to me. Screw Ruger, I will only buy if I really like the gun and get a heck of a deal, their customer service was horrible.

The mags arrived in less than a week. Even my S&W rebate took two months. Rugers big offer? we will give you 20% off our 100% overpriced sports wear. LMFAO really? Its like not even getting any lube from Ruger. What a company. I have had a couple of Ruger’s that were crap, the Mini14 is garbage and I would not take one for my sks strait up. It is inaccurate and Ruger even admits it and says its because they made so many and the dies were bad. LOL and they expect us to buy that? BS. My P97 was just garbage, I finally had to buy a spring guide rod and slide lever new and it seemed to make it stop flying out. Ruger told me that they had no problems with the p97 and that I had just shot it too much and worn it out, Really? I bought it new and put less than 300 rds through it. I guess if that is the life expectancy for a Ruger than I did wear it out. LOL. I fixed it or so I think and sold it off to some Ruger nut that thinks they are gold. LOL.

Now to be fair more fair than those who just spout Taurus is crap garbage, I have a couple of great Rugers, the Redhawk, and my SS mark 2 and my Ruger mod 77 in 3006 left hand are great guns, but I got them at a great bargin, the ss mark 2 I got for 200, the Redhawk in SS I got for 300 and the 77 I picked up new at walmart that someone had ordered back in the day and did no pick up for 250. The only gun's I pay fair market price for are historical guns like my colt 1943 that was carried by a col. in the ETO during WW2 or my G date luger or Colt 1860 from the Civil War. New guns are like paying top dollar for some beanie babby that someone just made, you will only get burned if you pay top dollar, if they are still making them they are not rare or hard to come by. Brand loyalty is spending for schmucks.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back