Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP

I just completed a test to see what company did best, I called Taurus and Ruger, told them I sent a mag back for repair and that I have not received it. Ruger told me that it was not their problem and that I was basically SOL, Taurus sent me two mags to make a happy customer. I had never sent any mags back for repair. Ruger told me that if they lost it and had no record of it that was my problem. Taurus sent me mags out without question. I called and told them that I had made a mistake and never sent in the mags and I now wanted to pay for the mags the sent, and that I would post this customer service around the net. They told me that they just want happy customers and to just keep the mags. Ruger was going to stick it to me. Screw Ruger, I will only buy if I really like the gun and get a heck of a deal, their customer service was horrible.

QUOTE]

I don't consider this a valid test. Basically it sounds like you lied to both companies and Ruger figured out you were being dishonest and Taurus did not. I don't blame a company for not being a doormat. I'm honest with them and I expect them to be honest with me. That's all you can ask. So far Ruger has passed this test.

I have sent a weapon back to Ruger for warranty work. Got it back in 17 days including three weekends (took it to the depot on a Friday, it came back on a Monday). The only problem was, with the hours I work, I had to pick it up at the UPS depot since no one was ever home to sign for it.

I like Ruger but am not a Ruger apologist. The gun should have never had to go back but it did and they did the best they could to take care of me. All you can ask at that point.

I just completed a test to see what company did best, I called Taurus and Ruger, told them I sent a mag back for repair and that I have not received it.....

Well Ed, it seems as though Ruger was spot-on. You hadn't sent them a mag and they told you so. Seriously.....try something like that with Ford or Chevy about parts you allegedly ordered, call FedEx up with a fictitious story about an undelivered package, call your bank and make up a story about depositing cash and not having it show up in your account.......they'll tell you the same thing Ruger said - they have no record of anything you're talking about. I guess that would make their customer service horrible too, huh?

I just did my own test of Ruger's and Taurus' customer service. I called each one and told them that after firing several rounds with one of their pistols, I had a "boo-boo" on my finger caused by what I deemed to be excessive recoil.

Ruger said they would pay for my health insurance for the next 5 years (including all deductibles and out of pocket expenses) and they're sending me a nice bottle of champagne to help ease my pain.

Taurus said they were sending a hit squad from a recently displaced Brazilian drug gang to eliminate me. :laugh:

Ruger did not say they did not get the mag, they said that it was not logged in and that if it did not get logged in they could not do anything about it. They blew me off as they did with the real problem of the bad designed p97. By your last comment you sound like you are a racist and this is the reason that you do not like Taurus. Hmmmm, maybe you would not like Ruger if you knew that they had Hispanic or blacks building them. LOL If they could just come up with an gun built in America by real [fat old white dudes] Americans, right scoter? The fact is I had a third problem with the finish on a Ruger being poorly done and the blue faded on the slide. I sent it back and they reblued it but wanted to charge me 80$, I threw up a complaint and they finaly gave in saying that since it was a poor blue job in the beginning they would pay for it. Ya right after I threw a bitch. Great company, they screw it up and charge you for it. Hey if you like to get it up the rear and no reach around, that’s your thing, as for me, I will buy what works for the best price, right now Ruger ain’t it baby. But if you want to buy a POS with Ruger stamped on it, its your money and a you know what they say about a fool and his $:laugh:

Ruger did not say they did not get the mag, they said that it was not logged in and that if it did not get logged in they could not do anything about it. They blew me off as they did with the real problem of the bad designed p97. By your last comment you sound like you are a racist and this is the reason that you do not like Taurus. Hmmmm, maybe you would not like Ruger if you knew that they had Hispanic or blacks building them. LOL If they could just come up with an gun built in America by real [fat old white dudes] Americans, right scoter? The fact is I had a third problem with the finish on a Ruger being poorly done and the blue faded on the slide. I sent it back and they reblued it but wanted to charge me 80$, I threw up a complaint and they finaly gave in saying that since it was a poor blue job in the beginning they would pay for it. Ya right after I threw a bitch. Great company, they screw it up and charge you for it. Hey if you like to get it up the rear and no reach around, that’s your thing, as for me, I will buy what works for the best price, right now Ruger ain’t it baby. But if you want to buy a POS with Ruger stamped on it, its your money and a you know what they say about a fool and his $:laugh:

But Ruger didn't get the mag, did they? And you know they didn't get the mag yet you still act like you expected them to acknowledge that they did? Like I said, try that with any other company. BTW, your whole "story" seems awfully convenient and self-serving. Funny how you've been deeply involved in this thread but you never mentioned your grand experiment before this even though (according to you) you started it more than a week ago. Do us doubting-Thomases a favor and take a pic of the packing slip and post it here.......let me guess, you no longer have the slip. How 'bout the packaging it came with?? A delivery slip?? Invoice of some sort?? An e-mail from UPS or FedEx?? All gone are they?? I hope not. Take a pic of something and post it for us to see. Prove to me that Taurus delivered 2 mags to you and that you didn't just create this scenario to support your argument. (please don't bother posting pics of Taurus mags. We already know you have a bunch of those.)

As for the other parts of your post, no, I'm not racist. Taurus is a Brazilian company, hence my reference to a Brazilian hit squad. I'm a bit embarrassed that I had to explain that to you. I don't like Taurus because I believe they are of inferior quality. You also must be assuming that I'm white and of European descent. Maybe I'm black. Maybe I'm latino. Maybe I'm from Brazil. You don't know but again you seem to be creating your own scenario just to fit your argument. What a surprise.

You bash others for what you perceive as "brand loyalty" yet you talk about Taurus as if you own the company. Your hypocrisy is a bit overwhelming.

Also, I've never had it up the rear, reach-around or not. What would you recommend??

Dear "edteach"

I went back and looked at all 10 of your posts on this thread. Your stories seem to keep changing. Your magazine story started out by saying that you complained to Taurus about the gun "not having a second strike" and they sent you a mag for free. In a later post you say that you called both Ruger and Taurus to complain about the mags and Taurus sent you ONE mag for free. Then later on you claim you conducted an experiment and that Taurus sent you TWO mags for free. Make up your mind, ed.

Also, early in the thread you say you had a problem with your Ruger p97 slide coming off and that Ruger replaced it after you called them. Yet later in the thread you mention the same problem and say you "got nothing" from Ruger. Again Ed, which is it?? Did they fix the problem like you said in the early post or did they blow you off like you said in the later post??

In one of your early posts you say you "have nothing against Ruger" but by your last post you're ranting and raving against how terrible they are. I could go on with other discrepencies and contradictions in your posts but I think I've made my point.

You're just making this up as you go along, aren't you Ed??

Dear "edteach"

I went back and looked at all 10 of your posts on this thread. Your stories seem to keep changing. Your magazine story started out by saying that you complained to Taurus about the gun "not having a second strike" and they sent you a mag for free. In a later post you say that you called both Ruger and Taurus to complain about the mags and Taurus sent you ONE mag for free. Then later on you claim you conducted an experiment and that Taurus sent you TWO mags for free. Make up your mind, ed.

Also, early in the thread you say you had a problem with your Ruger p97 slide coming off and that Ruger replaced it after you called them. Yet later in the thread you mention the same problem and say you "got nothing" from Ruger. Again Ed, which is it?? Did they fix the problem like you said in the early post or did they blow you off like you said in the later post??

In one of your early posts you say you "have nothing against Ruger" but by your last post you're ranting and raving against how terrible they are. I could go on with other discrepencies and contradictions in your posts but I think I've made my point.

You're just making this up as you go along, aren't you Ed??
Ruger did replace it but I had to pay for it, they did not do it as customer service. I have had many different problems with many different guns. I sold 45000$ worth of guns last year, how much did you buy and sell? Taurus has been fair in replacing items that do not work and in a timely way. S&W has also been fair, so has Beretta and Glock. Colt and Ruger are the two that has not been very good on customer service.

I think you are protesting to much, and seem to want to push the idea that Ruger is somehow this great American company that can't be beat. That is far from the truth. They build some good guns, they also build some crap. The P97 is one example and the Mini 14 which Ruger itself admits was a POS.

My Colt AR will out shoot the Mini 14 day in and day out, I shoot 287 avg at the DCM shoots with it. I do like my ruger revolvers and 77 left hand. I am capable of being unbiased but you are not. You seem to run on a visceral idea that this is good and that is bad. The facts are that there are as many problems with Rugers as Taurus and many people have documented it. I think people like you can not stand it that others do not lap up the crap you throw on the porch and go Mmmmmm can I have more.

You remind me of the guy who kept telling me that he was an expert on guns and tha the SKS could not be converted to full auto. I had to break it down for him in very simple terms to show how the sear for full auto is in the sks trigger group and its very simple to convert. There are several videos on youtube that show converted SKS rifles. I would not nor do I advocate doing such but I also know how the guns work and what’s inside them. The Taurus TCP is a good gun and Taurus has good customer service, better than Ruger. Ruger was a very good company but about 10 years ago they started to rest on their laurels. The old P89s and Mark2s and 77s and Redhawks are still good guns, but they are getting high and customer service is not good. Sorry if the truth hurts and sorry if you do not understand the difference in my real life customer service complaints and the ones I did to see which company would step up to the plate and go the distance to make a customer happy. Ruger aint it baby.

The fact is putting aside all the guns I have bought and sold and those that I have had problmes with and worked with the manufacture, Taurus is one of the best, Beretta has been fair, Colt is about where Ruger is, unless they are hit with several problems or its obvious that its a manufacture defect they are all about dumping on the buyer. Even Firestorm which is a Bersa company went beyond the norm to make things right in one gun I sold last year. Bersa is a gun that beats the compitition all hollow, the 380 I carry at times has never faild to do what it was supposed to do at any time in the 15 years I owned it. And at 189 vs what I paid for my Walther PPKS its not worth the money to buy Walther and I love Walthers and own 3xP38s a PPKS, 2xPPKs and a P22 and the Firestorm is the best of them.

I think your brand loyalty is making your brain dull old boy.

I'm new to this site.

However, over the past couple of days, reading the most popular posts from the main page, I find a good bit of hostility between members.

Is it like that all over this site?

I'm just wondering if it's worth staying. There is alot of good information to be found here, but I'm not sure it's worth having to wade through all of the bickering.

You would think we as 2nd amendment types, would stick together. Agree to disagree but don't get so hyper.

Am I off base here?

Thanks, and Hi to all.

I'm new to this site.

However, over the past couple of days, reading the most popular posts from the main page, I find a good bit of hostility between members.

Is it like that all over this site?

I'm just wondering if it's worth staying. There is alot of good information to be found here, but I'm not sure it's worth having to wade through all of the bickering.

You would think we as 2nd amendment types, would stick together. Agree to disagree but don't get so hyper.

Am I off base here?

Thanks, and Hi to all.

Most of the time it isn't very hostile, but sometimes discussions get heated. The "Politics" and "Religion and Guns" forums are REALLY bad. There are a few on there that seem to enjoy arguing just for the sake of arguing. You'll figure out who they are pretty quickly. It was a lot worse before Luke cleaned house, though unfortunately we lost a few good posters in the meantime. When you encounter these types (I'm not referring to edteach or B2Tall btw) it's best to just walk away and let them make idiots of themselves.

Here are a few snippets from Ed's last post I'd like to address:

Ruger did replace it but I had to pay for it, they did not do it as customer service.

I think you are protesting to much, and seem to want to push the idea that Ruger is somehow this great American company that can't be beat.

You remind me of the guy who kept telling me that he was an expert on guns.......

First, when you said Ruger replaced the slide, you mentioned nothing about having to pay for it. Making more stuff up are you?? As I mentioned before, when referring to this problem in later posts you claim that you "got nothing" from Ruger and that they "blew you off". Please explain these contradictions, Ed. I asked you to do that before but you seemed to have chosen not too.

Secondly, I don't think Ruger is infallible....just that they're better than Taurus. That's my own personal experience as well as others I know. Again, you're putting words in my mouth just to fit you rather weak and dubious argument.

Thirdly, I have never claimed to be an expert on guns or even close. I've used phrases like "solid but unpectacular" and "nothing special" to describe my abilities with firearms. I AM however, an expert when it comes to my own experiences, and that's what I'm basing my opinion on, not some concocted story that keeps changing as you have done.

I currently own 10 firearms. 2 are Rugers. The other 8 are from 7 different manufacturers. I'm hardly a slave to Ruger as you'd like to think. Your earlier personal attacks on me (calling me a racist, questioning my sexuality, implying that I'm a fool for buying a Ruger) are a clear sign that you find it difficult to support you point of view and have resorted to childish tactics in an effort to "win". Well my friend, it seems you've brought a pea shooter to an artillery duel.

Just an update on the Brazilian hit squad that Taurus sent after me when I complained to their customer service:

The 30 of them showed up at my house last night. Fortunately they were all armed with Taurus products. In unison they all pulled their triggers. It sounded like I had a serious cricket problem, what with all the clicks I was hearing. You guessed it - all their weapons failed. I stepped forward armed only with my trusty LCP. With fear in their eyes and terror in their voices they screamed "Ruger!!!" and fled to the nearest police station to surrender.

The End.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :laugh::wink:

Here are a few snippets from Ed's last post I'd like to address:

First, when you said Ruger replaced the slide, you mentioned nothing about having to pay for it. Making more stuff up are you?? As I mentioned before, when referring to this problem in later posts you claim that you "got nothing" from Ruger and that they "blew you off". Please explain these contradictions, Ed. I asked you to do that before but you seemed to have chosen not too.

Secondly, I don't think Ruger is infallible....just that they're better than Taurus. That's my own personal experience as well as others I know. Again, you're putting words in my mouth just to fit you rather weak and dubious argument.

Thirdly, I have never claimed to be an expert on guns or even close. I've used phrases like "solid but unpectacular" and "nothing special" to describe my abilities with firearms. I AM however, an expert when it comes to my own experiences, and that's what I'm basing my opinion on, not some concocted story that keeps changing as you have done.

I currently own 10 firearms. 2 are Rugers. The other 8 are from 7 different manufacturers. I'm hardly a slave to Ruger as you'd like to think. Your earlier personal attacks on me (calling me a racist, questioning my sexuality, implying that I'm a fool for buying a Ruger) are a clear sign that you find it difficult to support you point of view and have resorted to childish tactics in an effort to "win". Well my friend, it seems you've brought a pea shooter to an artillery duel.

LOL Really? I think you think more of your own opinion than is warranted but thats your right. LOL. I sold over 50 guns last year out of my private collection and rid myself of 2 safes. I am down to one and have sold off several thousand rounds of ammo due to people paying more than reasonable prices.

As far as your personal attacks they mean less than nothing to me. I know what a Taurus is and I am not a Taurus first and formost fan. They make a good gun for the most part and have no more or less problems on avg. than Ruger or other manufactures.

I am a Smith, Colt, Walther man for collecting. My 99% Colt 1943 I purchased from the wife of a Col. who passed on is my most prized gun, the Sharps 1863 New Model I sold was a prize but I am sick of safe queens and needed to sell a few off. I have currently only two Tarurus the 709 and the TCP, both good guns.

I think you are taken with your whit that is more hyperbole than reality. LOL. Enjoy your Rugers, I enjoy mine. I sold a Colt Anaconda and kept the Ruger Redhawk because I could get 1100 out of the Colt and only 375 out of the Ruger, the value for shooting was with the Ruger, the collector value is never with a Ruger. A few of the old models go for a bit more, but I would not pay it. Ruger will not be collectabel to me for 100 years. See ya scooter.

LOL Really? I think you think more of your own opinion than is warranted but thats your right. LOL. I sold over 50 guns last year out of my private collection and rid myself of 2 safes. I am down to one and have sold off several thousand rounds of ammo due to people paying more than reasonable prices.

As far as your personal attacks they mean less than nothing to me. I know what a Taurus is and I am not a Taurus first and formost fan. They make a good gun for the most part and have no more or less problems on avg. than Ruger or other manufactures.

I am a Smith, Colt, Walther man for collecting. My 99% Colt 1943 I purchased from the wife of a Col. who passed on is my most prized gun, the Sharps 1863 New Model I sold was a prize but I am sick of safe queens and needed to sell a few off. I have currently only two Tarurus the 709 and the TCP, both good guns.

I think you are taken with your whit that is more hyperbole than reality. LOL. Enjoy your Rugers, I enjoy mine. I sold a Colt Anaconda and kept the Ruger Redhawk because I could get 1100 out of the Colt and only 375 out of the Ruger, the value for shooting was with the Ruger, the collector value is never with a Ruger. A few of the old models go for a bit more, but I would not pay it. Ruger will not be collectabel to me for 100 years. See ya scooter.

Well Ed, once again you have dodged my question asking for you to explain your constantly changing stories. Not a surprise. Your silence on this matter speaks volumes. Your stories with regards to Ruger's and Taurus' customer service are about as believable as my story about the Brazilian hit men. At least mine was obviously satire. Yours......well let's just say you should go back and read what you've previously posted before you decide to get "creative" with your claims.

In spite of what you say I have never leveled any personal attacks against you or any other Taurus owner for owning one of their guns. Go back and look....I actually encouraged you to stick with what you like and go with what you know. I have only criticized the company and its products. Never anyone for buying a Taurus.

You on the other hand spew personal insults left and right. You've degraded yourself with your sophmoric put-downs and childish rhetoric. Feel free to have the last word. Although I've enjoyed shredding your claims I feel as though this tet-a-tet has run it's course. Best of luck to you and enjoy all your firearms.

Well Ed, once again you have dodged my question asking for you to explain your constantly changing stories. Not a surprise. Your silence on this matter speaks volumes. Your stories with regards to Ruger's and Taurus' customer service are about as believable as my story about the Brazilian hit men. At least mine was obviously satire. Yours......well let's just say you should go back and read what you've previously posted before you decide to get "creative" with your claims.

In spite of what you say I have never leveled any personal attacks against you or any other Taurus owner for owning one of their guns. Go back and look....I actually encouraged you to stick with what you like and go with what you know. I have only criticized the company and its products. Never anyone for buying a Taurus.

You on the other hand spew personal insults left and right. You've degraded yourself with your sophmoric put-downs and childish rhetoric. Feel free to have the last word. Although I've enjoyed shredding your claims I feel as though this tet-a-tet has run it's course. Best of luck to you and enjoy all your firearms.

Scooter you have just so shredded me so well, wait no you haven’t. I guess you are a legend in your own mind. You use the same dismissive rhetorical devices you accuse me of using then stand on your grand soap box beating your chest as a victim as you cry out how you hold the moral high ground. Give me a break scooter.

You obviously want to put people who disagree with you in their place or you would not keep responding to this post. I think you are a control freak that has to be the authority on all issues. If anyone is sophomoric its your arguments. I had a problem with this item and its bad. Then you defend an item that has been riddled with as many problems and documented so as the item you rip apart. You are a fraud and are more interested in trying to teach someone a lesson for daring to argue with you than to make any real point.

I also think you watch to much Law and Order as you think yourself some kind of pseudo detective or attorney. LOL

Your brand loyalty goes beyond good sense, and boarders on delusional behavior. You seem to identify yourself like a 11th grader who has gotten his first car and Chevy or Ford or what ever it is, is just the best car in the whole world and all others are just crap as you put on your Chevy or Ford cap, tee shirt and belt buckle. I bet you have a Ruger hat, Ruger Belt buckle and Ruger shirt and coat. I bet you got that 20% off of the over priced sports wear and are damn proud of it. How about it scooter, did I hit the nail on the head? LMFAO

Enjoy those Ruger duds Scooter. LOL:sarcastic:

USA Carry members have spoken!

On the "Concealed Carry Discussion" in the thread "What's The Most Popular Concealed Carry Handgun on USA Carry", the LCP was far more popular than the TCP. The score:

Ruger LCP - 29 votes
Taurus TCP - 2 votes

Kind of like "Ask the Audience" on Who Wants to be a Millionaire :laugh:

The LCP by itself had far more votes than all the Tauruses combined (29-19). The Ruger finished 2nd overall to the Colt 1911 (35 votes).

On the "Concealed Carry Discussion" in the thread "What's The Most Popular Concealed Carry Handgun on USA Carry", the LCP was far more popular than the TCP. The score:

Ruger LCP - 29 votes
Taurus TCP - 2 votes

The LCP by itself had far more votes than all the Tauruses combined (29-19). The Ruger finished 2nd overall to the Colt 1911 (35 votes).

HAHAHAHA Thats a good one. And all that crap proves what? Ruger good Taurus ban uggg what next trog?

HAHAHAHA That’s a good one. And all that crap proves what? Ruger good Taurus ban uggg what next trog?

First off a colt 1911 is an apple and the TCP/LCP are orange's. In almost 80% of the people will always go for the 1911 in any vote. Although a 1911 could be a CCW its not a practical gun. Its too big to carry day in and day out and in summer. A small gun like the LCP or TCP is selling well because of that fact.

I did like the child like theatrics of TADAAAAAA. I can imagine you having your family standing up and you giving out little white envelopes for play time for Bonzo. LOL

I think if you keep saying this garbage long enough you may even believe it, right brand loyal?

I have the taurus TCP and couldn't be happier. I was talked into this gun by one of the gun dealers in a store that I frequent, and now am glad he steered me in that direction. I

Ruger LCP - 29 votes
Taurus TCP - 2 votes

I think your voteing quotes are a bit off, and if the TCP had came out almost 2 years ahead of the LCP it would have done better in the poll, personaly I have had both, and in my opinion, the LCP I had was a real POS, I also own other Rugers which are great guns, but that LCP we had was JUNK, with FTF, FTE, and a trigger pull that seemed to be as long as the gun itself:angry:

I think your voteing quotes are a bit off, and if the TCP had came out almost 2 years ahead of the LCP it would have done better in the poll, personaly I have had both, and in my opinion, the LCP I had was a real POS, I also own other Rugers which are great guns, but that LCP we had was JUNK, with FTF, FTE, and a trigger pull that seemed to be as long as the gun itself:angry:

At the time of the post my quotes were right on. More votes have been added and the count is now 34-5 in favor of the LCP. You have a valid point when you mention that the Ruger has been around longer (people have had more opportunity to buy it) although that doesn't necessarily mean that, given more time, people will automatically like the TCP. Doesn't mean they won't either. Time will tell.

Over on Gunrating.com where people give their opinions of their firearms, the LCP had only a slightly higher average rating than the TCP, but higher none the less (and no, I'm not registered on that site so I've never posted a rating :biggrin:)

The one thing I don't like about the Ruger is that the slide doesn't stay open after the last round in the mag. That would be nice. I don't mind the long trigger pull. I got used to it pretty quick. Not having a safety makes the long pull an added security feature.

One thing I don't give a flyin' you-know-what about when it comes to my personal protection choices are what kind of throw-in peripherals the manufacturer offers. I'll never make an important decision like this based on whether one company is going to give me an extra mag or another company is going to give me a free holster. It's all about the gun and I don't mind having to shell out a few extra $ for an accessory or two if I'm getting what I believe to be the best gun for me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back