Open/Concealed It Just doesnt Matter

Chief1297

Frankly, I didnt know where to post this but thought it ironic that the concealed carrier didnt use his "element of surprise" to remedy the situation. As a disclaimer, I do both which is legal here in NC but have always heard the OC bashing. Just goes to show that situational awareness is critical using both methods of carry.

MINNEAPOLIS - A 34-year-old man is charged with first degree aggravated robbery after Minneapolis police say he held up a conceal and carry permit holder with his own gun.

Investigators say it happened May 21 during a street robbery in the Third Precinct. The Minneapolis Police Facebook Page reports that the victim, an adult male, was walking home near 31st Street East and 3rd Avenue South when a man walking the other way suddenly slammed him into a parked car.

The victim told officers that hitting the car injured his arm and he was unable to defend himself. As the suspect, 34-year-old Willie Merriweather, searched the man he found the pistol, held it to the victim's head and demanded the rest of his valuables. The man lost his gun and wallet in the robbery.

Link Removed

This has been posted before, but that is all right.

I understand your point that situational awareness is the most critical aspect to your self defense, but I disagree about making a statement about open or concealed. There is a very good chance the guy would have never been chosen if he was open carrying. We will probably never find out though.

As has been stated:
As the suspect, 34-year-old Willie Merriweather, searched the man he found the pistol, ...
I agree with 'Chen...if he OC he wouldn't have been targetted. But then the guy should have been more aware...it is not a case of whether you OC or CC question here.

I fall mostly into the group that says the best defense is a good offense. If they see you are carrying they will go rob someone else. The criminals do profile us; the cops busted and interviewed a bunch that was farming my neighborhood who said they identify potential victims at everyday places like grocery stores. They will identify someone else if they see a gun on your hip.

I am a proponent of open carry as long as the individual has the proper training and the wherewithal to distinguish when to open and when to conceal carry. Open carry is a great deterrent to crime but without proper training can be hazardous to your health. Goes without saying that either way training and familiarization and practice practice practice with your preferred weapon of choice. In today's times it does not pay to be anti gun when so many others(thieves, dealers and the like) are so pro gun, unless life holds little meaning for you. In order to preserve life you need to protect life.

Eric Fischesser:322586 said:
I am a proponent of open carry as long as the individual has the proper training and the wherewithal to distinguish when to open and when to conceal carry. Open carry is a great deterrent to crime but without proper training can be hazardous to your health. Goes without saying that either way training and familiarization and practice practice practice with your preferred weapon of choice. In today's times it does not pay to be anti gun when so many others(thieves, dealers and the like) are so pro gun, unless life holds little meaning for you. In order to preserve life you need to protect life.

How much training and "wherewithal" must one have to get your approval?

That is extremely close, if not all ready there, to an elitist mentality.

Frankly, I didnt know where to post this but thought it ironic that the concealed carrier didnt use his "element of surprise" to remedy the situation. As a disclaimer, I do both which is legal here in NC but have always heard the OC bashing. Just goes to show that situational awareness is critical using both methods of carry.

MINNEAPOLIS - A 34-year-old man is charged with first degree aggravated robbery after Minneapolis police say he held up a conceal and carry permit holder with his own gun.

Investigators say it happened May 21 during a street robbery in the Third Precinct. The Minneapolis Police Facebook Page reports that the victim, an adult male, was walking home near 31st Street East and 3rd Avenue South when a man walking the other way suddenly slammed him into a parked car.

The victim told officers that hitting the car injured his arm and he was unable to defend himself. As the suspect, 34-year-old Willie Merriweather, searched the man he found the pistol, held it to the victim's head and demanded the rest of his valuables. The man lost his gun and wallet in the robbery.

Link Removed

I'm confused by the story, since it isn't written clearly. Did the perpetrator hit the victim with a car slamming the victim into another car, or did the perpetrator (while walking) grab the victim and throw him into the parked car? If it was the former, I'm contending it really wouldn't have mattered which style of carry the victim had. If it was the latter, yes, OC would probably have prevented the occurrence.

If you are not in condition yellow, head on a swivel, anything you carry for self defense is going to be pretty much useless, action pretty much trumps reaction.

wolf_fire:322619 said:

Link Removed

I'm confused by the story, since it isn't written clearly. Did the perpetrator hit the victim with a car slamming the victim into another car, or did the perpetrator (while walking) grab the victim and throw him into the parked car? If it was the former, I'm contending it really wouldn't have mattered which style of carry the victim had. If it was the latter, yes, OC would probably have prevented the occurrence.

" when a man walking the other way" they were both walking.

Another one of those....

"I think it's Ok for folks to exercise their right to bear arms as long as they do it in the way I think is Ok after they qualify for it by doing what I think is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable"."

Dude.... why do you think they put that little thing about "shall not be infringed" in the 2nd Amendment? Because when it comes to the right to bear arms limiting the ability to exercise the right to bear arms according to what someone thinks is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" ...

is an "unreasonable", "inappropriate", and "unacceptable".............. freaking infringement!

The whole idea of "shall not be infringed" is that the government shall not restrict, limit, or control, the right to bear arms. When people think the way you do and a gun control politician comes along and says the right to bear arms openly should be controlled by restrictive laws that are "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable".... more restrictions ("restrictions" is spelled I N F R I N G E D) are passed with no problem.

Which is how we got saddled with that "unreasonable", "inappropriate", and "unacceptable" infringement of government control over the right to bear an arm in a concealed manner called a "carry permit". You do realize that the word "permit" means the government is "allowing" you... and if someone is in a position to allow, or disallow, then you don't have a "right"... all you have is.......

permission.

If you have to ask permission you do NOT have the right... all you have is a privilege that can be revoked at any time.

Question: What is your definition of "anti-gun"? If it's someone who thinks a right should be limited by capricious and ambiguous "rules" (or laws), you may want to go find a mirror.

Plus, please define, with examples, of how open carrying a firearm "can be hazardous to your health" vs. other forms of carry.

I'm an older guy and when I walk to and from my vehicle I must look funny because I am checking out everything! I look at every person every space between all the cars on my route or close to it. My reflexes are not as good as a younger guys so I have to be alot more careful. I refuse to be a victim.

This has been posted before, but that is all right.

I understand your point that situational awareness is the most critical aspect to your self defense, but I disagree about making a statement about open or concealed. There is a very good chance the guy would have never been chosen if he was open carrying. We will probably never find out though.

I apologize my sarcasm didnt come through as it is difficult to express it in words some times. Like you , i think if he were open carrying he would not have been attacked although there is no guarantee. Just thought this guy may have used his element of surprise to get him out of the situation.

Even OCing you can be Robbed ! Criminals pick their victims based on your apperance, They look for what they think are easy Victims.
In this case the BG got more than he expected too.

I'm sorry this man was Targeted, and hope he recovers his belongings. You need to be aware at all times of everyone around you. Pay attention to poeple they will give away their intensions with their eyes.

As I have always said, having an weapon does'nt gaurantee your safety. Best weapon we have is our minds, and always expect the Un-expexted. Pay Attention at all times. You can never drop your gaurd.

This guys gun very likely would not have been used against him in the robbery if he practiced open carry; it likely would have been taken from him by the police prior to this incedent. Minnesota is not a traditional open carry state. Open carry is "technically" legal with a Minnesota permit, but open carry is hardly approved by anyone with legal authority. If this individual did manage to somehow keep his gun until this incident he likely would have been safe because there would be several police officers around him, asking why he was brandishing his firearm in public. While open carry may prevent some attacks, it also advertises the fact that you have a valuable asset that may be worth taking by force should the opportunity be presented where an attack could be made. Awareness is the key to safety, with or without a firearm.

I think everybody is missing the point. ANYBODY can be sucker punched. I have been a correctional officer for 30 year and taught defensive tactics at 5 different prisons and facilities. I think I have developed a decent sense of situational awareness but as I stated, anyone can be sucker punched. It is pretty much impossible to go about your daily business and keep everyone at least 21 feet (think Tueller Drill) away from you. The open carry vs concealed carry debate does not really apply to this story. While there have been studies showing that criminals avoid people they know are armed that does not mean that this same tactic could not, or would not, have been tried and worked against an open carrier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back