Open Carry

I and several others that I know about on this forum have been involved in REAL LIFE self-defense situations. Some of us more than once, have faced the death angel & spit in his eye. Got news for ya scooter- we're still here! Our Bgs are not; and the BGs that I faced (at least) are all dead now except one; whois living somewhere in Florida. (If you've ever read my story about being the target of a south american drug lord and professional contract hitters, you'd know why I keep tabs on such things.)

Nope, I didn't kill any of the BGs I had run-ins with. But, I stopped their attacks on me & mine.

Maybe, you just need to go back & play your video games & finish your potty training. Then, one day when you're a big boy you may be let outside without adult supervision. Right now, it's apparent that you don't know anything about what you speak.

-
so which is it.. you took someone's life or as your say " Nope, I didn't kill any of the BGs I had run-ins with???????????????? ypou cant even keep a freeking story straight.. No one spits in the eye of someone they killed unless they are psychotic... I took my first confirmed life, May 18 1966. and most of the guys in my unit who were first timers did the same thing I did.. I cried my eyes out pissed my pants and could not sleep and 50 years later, I can still see the first ones face.. he was about 18 or 19.... No one spits in the face of a guy that is putting you in fear of your life... You fucing assshole... get your story straight before you can get your John Wayne twinkie badge... little boy.

Florida is not an open carry state so I do not have the choice regardless of my intentions.

Given the last 4 pages I have read, this is probably not the time or place for proposing we engage in a rational discussion of what I consider a complex issue - more complex than the emotional debates usually reflect. But what the hell!

Clearly, in some instances, open carry will be a deterrent. Most less-than-dedicated criminals are going to opt for easier targets and so, seeing a handgun on someone's belt (even seeing someone whose demeanor clearly says "don't **** with me"), will be likely to move along.

But it does seem that not all modern criminals are less-than-dedicated and their crimes are not always simply the "of opportunity" variety, so they may not be deterred (e.g., 4 armed robbers may not burst into a pawn shop, see an open carrier and run back out - there was the recent armed robbery of a gun store in Kansas [?]). At that point, open carry may confer some advantage with regard to preparation and ease of access.

In addition, when the assailant is either a sophisticated criminal or, as in Paris and other instances, a fairly well-trained and committed criminal/murderer who is fearing failure more than death, I suspect this gets more complicated. That is, while we are all trained or training in skills like situational awareness, scanning, identifying priority threats, can we assume criminals and jihadists are not? If we are all working at being aware of baselines in our environment (what is normal and expected, what we want to see and what we do not want to see) and looking for anomalies and deviations that indicate likely threats and suggest their priority, can we assume our antagonists are not also thinking in these terms? Can we assume they are all in condition white while we are in yellow?

So - I'm watching those around me, looking for people who stand out in the environment, whose behavior is not the norm for the context, who may be threats. They way they look, the way they act, how well they are focused on their own activity v. others, even whether they are armed. Do I assume an armed person is a threat? No. Does it mean they are more of a threat than others may be? Yes. In essence, I am trying to get and stay "left of the bang" (a great read, btw). If the criminal - more especially the jihadist - is also doing this, using these skills (why wouldn't they), then is the weapon on my hip an anomaly (not what they expect, not what they want to see) to be dealt with immediately as a threat to his plans? If they do not have the option or interest in moving on due to target value or sheer fanaticism, then does open carry create a priority target for them? Or, perhaps, they are just going to immediately kill everyone so it does not matter.

Before everyone on whatever side of this issue gets all red faced and pulls out the long list of derogatory names and comments we usually see - have seen in this thread - I am not advocating or criticizing people's choice to carry as they want - this is not a choice I can make in my state and thus my options are clear for now. I, truthfully, have no investment in which decision someone makes and am glad they can and do carry, however they decide to do it. Clearly this is an emotional issue in our community and, as usual, everyone runs to their favorite side and assumes everyone on the other is an idiot. I prefer not to align myself with fools of any persuasion, so I will not do that because, as noted, evidence for or against is largely anecdotal and impressionistic. There is no valid evidence in either direction (news reports and armed citizen incidents are not valid scientific evidence).

I merely think that, in the absence of good outcome data on the different approaches (not that we will ever really have it) it is good to ponder the question conceptually, not emotionally, and see both its potential pluses and minuses.

So - my piece is said - flame away if that is all one needs to do. The whole macho BS of who has and has not is sad. I take such things too seriously for that; I prefer to train people to think through such issues and make decisions that work for them.

Thanks for the civility of your post .. its tough trying to deal with children on their level...

My take on Open Carry, is it should be legal, for responsible, law biding citizens to open carry. In my opinion who is going to mess with someone carrying openly?

It is in my state, anyone 18 or older that can legally own a gun can open carry a gun.

But realize that criminals, ain't the bright bulb on the porch, and are often scared senseless and develop tunnel vision when commuting a crime. Proof is in the fact that stupid criminals have attempted armed robberies when a cop in uniform is standing next to them in line.

Link Removed

Given the last 4 pages I have read, this is probably not the time or place for proposing we engage in a rational discussion of what I consider a complex issue

It certainly is a complex issue, the dark. Here's what people like ET cannot understand. Everyone's situation is different. There are no absolutes in life, only odds. Do I believe that my openly carried firearm will deter 100% of criminals from attacking me? No way. But where I live the advantages of open carry far outweigh the disadvantages. First, the vast majority of crimes that occur in my area are crimes of easy opportunity. So, IF the criminal in my area sees my gun, chances are they are just going to move on or wait 5 minutes for me to leave the area. If the criminal doesn't see my gun, than my gun is that much easier to reach with much less movement required to draw it more quickly than from a concealed position. I would much rather not have to deal with the criminal at all than have to defend myself or my family from an attack.

Second, my open carry has caused about 1 positive encounter per month where people either thank me for carrying and presenting a positive image of a gun owner, or they ask honest questions and leave better educated about both the laws and reasons for carrying a firearm. I only have about 1 negative encounter per year and 2 out of 3 negative encounters I have had have been from people just like ET who cannot fathom that their way and opinion is not the best way and opinion and everyone should do it their way - they are the people with CPLs who can't resist telling me that they carry their firearms concealed and so should I. And you will notice how when people like ET and N R A encounter people who disagree with them they cannot resist sinking to the level of childish rants and name calling. They simply have some disorder that makes it impossible for them to maintain a rational discussion.

Open carry may not be the best method of carry for everyone - but for me, in my location, it is.

If open carry was a tactical advantage, every plain clothed cop would carry open. he would just be another guy in a suit...

Hey Nimrod, that's why he is a suit, and not opening carrying. It's not the fact they are armed they are hiding, but the fact they are a cop.

What the hell have you been paying attention to your entire life, or are you just a cranky old right fighter without a frigging clue?

There is a time and a place for open carry, and for concealed carry, and I do both, but CC more frequently, often for legal reasons when I go places OC is illegal but CC is legal.

Hey assbreath .. (IM just lowering myself to your level ) IN my city , there are 1.5 million people.. NO ONE CARRIES openly.... we live in a State where Open carry is legal..... I belong to a gun club with 5000 members.., NO ONE CARRIES Openly....... Apparently the people who live in PA are a bit higher on the evolutionary scale. No one wants to advertise the fact that they are armed....ITS AN ADVANTAGE not to advertise ....
Many People who carry openly are those who are saying please don't hurt me.. pick someone else....PLEASE... see IM wearing a gun.. see it's right here... IM really a Pusssy
cat

Hey assbreath .. (IM just lowering myself to your level ) IN my city , there are 1.5 million people.. NO ONE CARRIES openly.... we live in a State where Open carry is legal..... I belong to a gun club with 5000 members.., NO ONE CARRIES Openly....... Apparently the people who live in PA are a bit higher on the evolutionary scale. No one wants to advertise the fact that they are armed....ITS AN ADVANTAGE not to advertise ....
Many People who carry openly are those who are saying please don't hurt me.. pick someone else....PLEASE... see IM wearing a gun.. see it's right here... IM really a Pusssy
cat

You are no better than anyone else, a$$hole. I've served in the US Military for over 30 years, I've spent over 1 1/2 years underwater in a submarine with nothing but 40 word receive only naval messages every 10 days for contact with home, 2 nine month deployments on aircraft carriers, 4 months in Iraq and not even a non-judicial punishment (Captain's Mast) on my record. So PI$$ OFF! Your f$$((%ing holier than thou attitude because you can't acknowledge that your way may not be the right way for everyone is nothing but narcissism at it's height.

And I don't believe in any evolutionary scale bullcrap. I believe in what the founding fathers of this country believed in:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Once again, ET finds himself alone, with his hand in his pocket playing with his "gun".

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

most of the people on this forum fall into this category..

for those who live on this forum :" it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others."

Link Removed

I have about 200 more I could post... but you get the idea.. all of these security guards were open carry civilians.. just like those poor misinformed people on this forum... open carry is ju7st another invitation to be come a statistic.. of course for most open carry people its all about low self esteem, and the need to feel important... I posted a few of the statistic for those 99.9% doubting Thomas's ( who are regular members here and spend most of their waking hours here on this forum.

Link Removed

Store Clerk Mourns For Security Guard Shot Dead « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Security guard shot to death outside Little Haiti restaurant | News - Home

Security guard shot to death outside Little Haiti restaurant | News - Home

Two security guards shot outside Brooklyn housing complex - NY Daily News

Link Removed

Link Removed

Your Google-Fu is weak old man you should not have come back

cat

Just effing wow, dude you have lost your connection to reality, but living in Philly is a good excuse, what a **** hole (I spent a year there when I was in the Navy). Perhaps you should take some of the courses your gun club probably offers, or do they view your presence there and your 'effing know it all attitude' received much the same it is here, mainly 'not this crap again'. I reference your carry chambered or not thread.

Link Removed
finally!! ! Someone who gets it.... not too many sharp tools in the wood shed here... when you are fishing for minnows , you have to use appropriate bait. bait the minnow are too dumb to see.

I came here several months ago, I introduced myself.. Retired military... combat Veteran...gave some background and have yet to get a welcome or any respect... the attitude I present here now is because, I came here with an open mind, and from the first day received nothing but insults and disrespect.. Not one welcome from the " BOYS CLUB " And I call it a Boys club because Nothing that I've seen here shows me anything different... people come and go here all the time or should I say chased away... there is a constant couple dozen bullies on this forum, who seem to get off bullying people.. l have baited every single one of them and they loose their cool at the drop of a hat. They are too dumb to even see the bait... I could care less about this forum or the people in it.... its just folly for me to see that post after post and week after weeks these same people keep taking the bait... the scary thing is that these people own weapons....Its a real shame there is no test for stupidity when purchasing a weapon. This forum could be a nice place. .if it wasn't for the stupidity and the bullies .

finally!! ! Someone who gets it.... not too many sharp tools in the wood shed here... when you are fishing for minnows , you have to use appropriate bait. bait the minnow are too dumb to see.

I came here several months ago, I introduced myself.. Retired military... combat Veteran...gave some background and have yet to get a welcome or any respect... the attitude I present here now is because, I came here with an open mind, and from the first day received nothing but insults and disrespect.. Not one welcome from the " BOYS CLUB " And I call it a Boys club because Nothing that I've seen here shows me anything different... people come and go here all the time or should I say chased away... there is a constant couple dozen bullies on this forum, who seem to get off bullying people.. l have baited every single one of them and they loose their cool at the drop of a hat. They are too dumb to even see the bait... I could care less about this forum or the people in it.... its just folly for me to see that post after post and week after weeks these same people keep taking the bait... the scary thing is that these people own weapons....Its a real shame there is no test for stupidity when purchasing a weapon. This forum could be a nice place. .if it wasn't for the stupidity and the bullies .

Lying troll lies....troll can't figure out Google or how to post correctly...Lol

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Self confession to being a troll.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back