Open Carry States

PX4storm

Banned
Hey all ~

I currenty hold a Washington State CWP and just recieved my paper work to obtain a non-resident Florida state CWP, which covers quite a few more states, I do a lot of motorcycle touring and ride through Colorado often, Colorado does not issue CWP's to non-residents. My question is this ... ...

Is it legal to "Open Carry" in the state of Colorado ?

Yes ,but not in Denver. With this link just click on any of the states you wish to inquire about.

Link Removed

Actually they do. They are even a "shall issue" state.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

Link Removed

Washington state issues a "Concealed Pistol License". They don't issue a "Concealed Weapon Permit" or a "Concealed Weapon License".

Florida OTOH issues a "Concealed Weapons License". The difference is what you're allowed to carry under the authority of the license. If the state issues a "Pistol" or "Firearms" license, then the license is restricted to "firearms" or "pistols" unless otherwise authorized by law or statute. In the case of Florida, the use of the term "Weapons" would allow the licensee to carry knives, daggers, etc. unless otherwise limited or restricted by law.

I AM NOT A LAWYER! DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING I POST AS "LEGAL ADVICE". I'M AN EXPERIENCED FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR WITH PERMITS/LICENSES IN VAROIUS STATES OF WHICH I UNDERSTAND THE LAWS GOVERNING THE CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS OF THE LICENSE/PERMIT. PLEASE CONSULT AN ATTORNEY FAMILIAR WITH FIREARMS LAWS IN THE RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS IN QUESTION FOR "LEGAL ADVICE'.

gf

OK, ya got me ..... I have a Washington State Concealed Pistol License, fer Petes sake it's still a weapon !

OK, ya got me ..... I have a Washington State Concealed Pistol License, fer Petes sake it's still a weapon !

The term "weapon" implies an offensive use. I like to use the term "pistol", "firearm", "handgun", etc. As a NRA Instructor, and one who often comes in contact with strongly "anti" groups or individuals, I find that using the more "PC" term, though at times nauseating, will help difuse many of their arguments.

I do my best to appeal to as many people as possible. I might not agree with having to be "PC" all of the time, but it's the most effective way to get my message across.

gf

The term "weapon" implies an offensive use. I like to use the term "pistol", "firearm", "handgun", etc. As a NRA Instructor, and one who often comes in contact with strongly "anti" groups or individuals, I find that using the more "PC" term, though at times nauseating, will help difuse many of their arguments.

I do my best to appeal to as many people as possible. I might not agree with having to be "PC" all of the time, but it's the most effective way to get my message across.

gf

As a child I took boxing lessions from my golden glove brother-in-law, as a tenager I took 4-years of Taekowndo, and later in life I took hand to hand combative classes, just to be PC how should I refer to my hands.

Should I call my hands, hands or weapons, wait .... nose pickers ! BUT you're right the PC people are nauseating ... ... it's time for a change, they need to get over themselves, as I am tired of being PC.

Hi, I'm new here but have been using weapons for some time now. Retired USMC.
Anyway, on the issue of traveling through other states with a weapon for self defense, I have looked at the colored maps put out by several organizations that show where I can and can't carry my weapon, either conceled or open. I currently live in VA and have CWP.
My question here is: The maps seem to refer to what residents of the state can do, but they seem very unclear about what a traveler can do while just passing through.
I will be traveling by air to Colorado (I know the TSA rules) to drive a u-haul back to Virginia. I want to have a means of self defense while on the road. Having to put my weapon, unloaded and locked in a hard box, in the back of the truck hardly gives me protection.
I understand Denver's support of the unregistered thugs against armed citizens rule, not that I agree with it. As far as the rest of the route home can someone enlighten me as to were I can have my weapon at my side ready to defend myself without having to be a resident of each state?

Ken
USMC GySgt Ret. 1968 - 1993

You should plot out your trip on Mapquest then check whick states share reciprocity with VA using the maps on this site

Awwww, comeon BlackJack. I stated in my post what problem I was having. Read my last sentence again and if you know for sure the answer, then please post. Thank you.

Washington state issues a "Concealed Pistol License". They don't issue a "Concealed Weapon Permit" or a "Concealed Weapon License".

Florida OTOH issues a "Concealed Weapons License". The difference is what you're allowed to carry under the authority of the license. If the state issues a "Pistol" or "Firearms" license, then the license is restricted to "firearms" or "pistols" unless otherwise authorized by law or statute. In the case of Florida, the use of the term "Weapons" would allow the licensee to carry knives, daggers, etc. unless otherwise limited or restricted by law.

I AM NOT A LAWYER! DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING I POST AS "LEGAL ADVICE". I'M AN EXPERIENCED FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR WITH PERMITS/LICENSES IN VAROIUS STATES OF WHICH I UNDERSTAND THE LAWS GOVERNING THE CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS OF THE LICENSE/PERMIT. PLEASE CONSULT AN ATTORNEY FAMILIAR WITH FIREARMS LAWS IN THE RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS IN QUESTION FOR "LEGAL ADVICE'.

gf

Yeah I noticed Florida "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License". I can carry firearm or any weapon (knives or whatever).

Yeah I noticed Nevada "Concealed Firearms Permit". I can only firearms semi autos or revolvers, not knives or others.

Most states have different permits issue "Weapon", "Firearm", and "Pistol".

I'm not sure I am understanding your question but maybe this will help?

According to the site maps these states in blue honor your permit. But you would have to find out if they are CC or OC states.

As far as Colorado is concerned, you can carry a loaded pistol in the vehicle with you anywhere in the state, and you can open carry, except in down town Denver. As for Kansas I can't tell you for sure but it is an OC state with some local restrictions, so for the most part you should be good, but you should do some homework on Kansas so you don't get yourself into trouble. The rest of the states between CO and VA have reciprocity with VA except the dreaded state of Illinois. If you can find a way around the bottom of IL, then you should be good. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi Gunny

ok, thanks for the advice and leads. I'm back from my trip. Exercised my 2nd Amendment rights all the way home. The anti-gun community can kiss my shiny, spent cartriges.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back