Open Carried For The First Time Today

Itstjs

Open carried for the first time today. It was a bit awkward, but soon forgot all about it, aside from the fact I was using my concealed carry holster. My shirt was apparently too short to cover it concealed, so I just moved it outside the waste band. I went into the Dollar Tree down the road from my apartment, bought a few things, and to be honest, I only had a few strange stares, I thought for sure the police would be walking in any minute, and I even mentioned something to my Fiance, "Im surprised noones freaking out" she looked at my wasted and said "the lady back there gave you a weird look." I just ignored people and went about my business, purchased the things I went in there for and went to Speedway.
From there, I went in and filled up my car, checked my speedy rewards, and even asked one of the cashiers how to register my card, she kept her distance for a second, and helped me at the machine. At a gas station I for sure thought people would freak out, I even expected the police to show up there, I mean, it was in Flint.

Anyhow, no LEO encounters, and no people running for their lives, no issues. I think Ill try it again tomorrow, when I cash my paycheck. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as it did today. If not, I think Ill enjoy my first LEO encounter, and hopefully that will go smoothly as well. If not, Ill file some sort of grievance with the Police Department.
Any advice??

If your going to cash your check at a bank, make sure there isn't a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign on the door. Regular banks are backed by the F.D.I.C. so you are playing by their rules when you enter. I have gone into banks concealed, but would never try it open carry. My two cents.:pleasantry:

If your going to cash your check at a bank, make sure there isn't a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign on the door. Regular banks are backed by the F.D.I.C. so you are playing by their rules when you enter. I have gone into banks concealed, but would never try it open carry. My two cents.:pleasantry:

By what stretch of the imagination does the bank's use of an INSURANCE company have to do with Open Carry? The only point about banks and carrying will be found in state law. If the state law doesn't proscribe carry in banks, then you should look for statutes regarding signs. If your state defines the use of a specific sign or verbage (ie. TX's 30.06 signs), then only places with that signage is proscribed.

Open carried for the first time today. It was a bit awkward, but soon forgot all about it, aside from the fact I was using my concealed carry holster. My shirt was apparently too short to cover it concealed, so I just moved it outside the waste band. I went into the Dollar Tree down the road from my apartment, bought a few things, and to be honest, I only had a few strange stares, I thought for sure the police would be walking in any minute, and I even mentioned something to my Fiance, "Im surprised noones freaking out" she looked at my wasted and said "the lady back there gave you a weird look." I just ignored people and went about my business, purchased the things I went in there for and went to Speedway.
From there, I went in and filled up my car, checked my speedy rewards, and even asked one of the cashiers how to register my card, she kept her distance for a second, and helped me at the machine. At a gas station I for sure thought people would freak out, I even expected the police to show up there, I mean, it was in Flint.

Anyhow, no LEO encounters, and no people running for their lives, no issues. I think Ill try it again tomorrow, when I cash my paycheck. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as it did today. If not, I think Ill enjoy my first LEO encounter, and hopefully that will go smoothly as well. If not, Ill file some sort of grievance with the Police Department.
Any advice??

Welcome to your right to carry and the only advice I can give you is be kind, courteous and know your laws. Seriously, if you have not already, steady them over and over again and know them like the back of your hand. If and when you do have a LEO encounter, don't be afraid to stand your legal ground verbally, but comply with their orders. You can tear them apart later in court, if they infringe on your right.

1) Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a safety inspected handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL. Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.

MSP Legal Update Newsletter: April 2007: Did You Know: …It is not illegal under Michigan law to openly carry a pistol…...

PLACES off limits to firearms without a CPL: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: a) A Bank. b) A church. c) A court. d) A theatre. e) A sports arena. f) A day care center. g) A hospital. h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act (BAR). (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
b) A peace officer.
c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity. Just going by this wolfhunter, didn't mean to make you have a heart attack!

Duke, I agree with your last post here, but your earlier post made it sound like you were saying that a bank covered by FDIC would be a federal building and covered by federal laws.

From your last post, I see banks are proscribed without a CPL, AND that No Gun signs have the weight of law in Michigan.

Bravo on bustin your open carry cherry! I had to chuckle a little that you were expecting more of a reaction. You should be pleasantly surprised that people do NOT tend to "freak out" or run for cover. Some will inevitibly call the police but if the 911 operators handle the calls properly, even those calls shouldn't result in LEO interactions. You will continue to get looks sometimes but for the most part, it goes unnoticed. When it IS noticed, there's rarely much of a reaction. Over the past year I've really been astounded at the lack of interest in my being a MWAG. The OCing will get more and more comfortable the more you do it, if you plan on continuing to do so. It's liberating, isn't it?

Heh, after I openly carried again last night, I was a bit uncomfortable, and I guess my Fiance was uncomfortable as well. She and I went to Walmart and bought some movies, the minute I pulled in there was an LEO doing a patrol through the parking lot, I was already nervous, and he made me even more nervous, but, by the time we parked, he was already far enough away he wouldnt have seen my Pistol on my hip. I walked in and the Greeter seen my weapon a couple seconds after greeting us, the look on her face was priceless. But she did not freak out, she more less dropped her jaw for a nano second.
We looked through movies, and I kept an eye on all the Walmart employees, and customers, I half expected someone to try and be a hero and reach for my weapon, and or an LEO to approach me, but neither happened. I did get a few looks and my fiance said most of them were with mothers with children. Oh well.
I stopped in BP to grab a coke on the way home, no reaction there either. The cashier seemed a tad bit nervous but who cares, if I worked in a gas station and seen a MWAG Id be a little uneasy as well, especially if all I knew was BGs with guns. Hopefully I shed some light on OC and that BGs arent the only ones with firearms.

CONGRATS!! On your first.The more you do it, the easier it get's. If you really want to have some fun come to the Picnic in Marysville on June 27. And meet alot of other Ocers!!:pleasantry:

Good deal, I really beleave far to much is made over open/concealed carry, in TN we can open carry but 99% of the instructors advise concealed, and I tend to agree, but I as I said, I do not put much into it, with the weather in the 90s my G-36 go's in a serpa paddle with my T shirt over it, it is concealed, mostly, the best thing I had seen carrying that way is people generaly don't mess with you, or if your in line at wally world, most people keep there rug rats away from you, sometimes the securaty guy will give you a once over, but nothing is ever done or said, we went to cracker barrel sat morning and there was a big table full of LEOs a couple of the younger ones gave me a look, but that was as far as it went, our server that day was a girl that was in our permit class, there are valid arguments on both sides, but I do have to agree all things considered, concealed is the better way to go, even if open is legel

Funny you mentioned mothers keeping their "rug rats" on a little tighter leash when you're visibly armed and nearby. I've seen that happen, too, which to me is fine. What really gives me that warm fuzzy feeling is when a parent sees you near, sees you're armed, and lets his or her kids go about their business. That gives me a sense of their increasing comfort around armed GGs. It's a good sign, I think. It at least shows that they're not automatically equating a gun to a BG. On the other hand, with their not fully knowing me or my intentions, it could be construed as irresponsible to let their kids near me, but with the way I dress and appear and present myself, it doesn't take much watching me to realize I'm not a person with ill-intent.

Also, I don't recall whether it was this thread or another, but the subject of OCing into banks was breeched. If it was on this thread, let me just mention that I've OC'd into a few different branches of my bank without incident, and into my wife's credit union without incident. Whoever mentioned that OCing into a bank or financial institution would be crazy and result in being met by LEOs with their guns drawn, etc. obviously are speaking from their imagination. I can imagine things going that way but it hasn't happened yet - to me or anyone else who's OC'd into their bank. If it was another thread, I apologize - disregard.

I was told by the police here that as long as there was no sign saying "no carry" then you could carry in the establishment. OC is legal here in Indiana, as long as you are permitted, but I would not try it in a local bank. I just can't seem to bring myself to OC yet. I still CC most of the time. About the only time I OC is at the range I belong to. Good luck with the OC just the same.:biggrin:

I was told by the police here that as long as there was no sign saying "no carry" then you could carry in the establishment. OC is legal here in Indiana, as long as you are permitted, but I would not try it in a local bank. I just can't seem to bring myself to OC yet. I still CC most of the time. About the only time I OC is at the range I belong to. Good luck with the OC just the same.:biggrin:

Thanks. And don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that anyone OC's before he or she thinks/feels ready. Especially when starting off, OC feels foreign, odd, and/or simply awkward. Some level of that is expected and anticipated. However, if it's not a pretty simple feeling of oddity or awkwardness, and is a serious feeling of uncertainty, then don't OC (yet). If you're interested in OC and would like to, but feel too strange or nervous doing it, start small. Start on your own property. Start with OCing while mowing, perhaps, or gardening, or raking leaves or whatever. Once you feel comfortable doing that, then expand your OC boundaries a little. Try OCing while walking the dog up and down your street, or around the block if you're ambitious. Then, to your most frequently visited places - your local party store (check applicable laws), or gas station. ...Keep in mind, this is only if you're INTERESTED in OC and WANT to. I wouldn't urge those who don't want to OC to do so. This is only for those who want to but don't know where or how to start, or feel uncomfortable jumping in with both feet. In fact, I recommend finding some comfort in OC and having a little practice, rather than strapping on a gun for the 1st time and going wherever you wanna go. I just think it a better idea to ease into it.

Alright, I'm jealous... No law condoning open carry. No law forbidding it. The way the law is written it states concealed on your person in a public way

"carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place"..

I've been told open carry here is a good way to get your license revoked.:mad:
So I keep it concealed. I do however, have this longing to open carry just for the hell of it. :cray:
Perhaps a trip to Vermont is in order. :biggrin:

Peace...

Alright, I'm jealous... No law condoning open carry. No law forbidding it. The way the law is written it states concealed on your person in a public way

"carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place"..

I've been told open carry here is a good way to get your license revoked.:mad:
So I keep it concealed. I do however, have this longing to open carry just for the hell of it. :cray:
Perhaps a trip to Vermont is in order. :biggrin:

Peace...

Found a couple threads that may shed a little light... or at least let you know you're not alone!

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back