Onondaga County pistol license upgrade to Full Carry APPROVED!

Onondaga County doesn't officially accept any training or reasons for proper cause, it's all a guessing game and trial and error.

As a civilian, I took the NRA Basic Pistol, Defensive Pistol Skills 101 from Rochester Personal Defense, Combative Pistol 1/2 from MDTS Training and a couple of skills classes from SIG Arms Academy.

Rochester Personal Defense
SMALL ARMS & PRACTICAL COMBATIVES TRAINING
Link Removed
It's not what the courts recognize as much as how comfortable the judge feels issueing the permit. Judges like students who go the extra mile. Part of our license upgrade service requires students have NRA Basic Pistol, PPOTH, Concealed Carry I and an official NRA qualification certificate. Judges have made comments to students that they were impressed by the student's desire to learn to carry safely and responsibly.

COPY AND CHANGE THE UNDERLINED SECTIONS AS APPROPRIATE.

SAMPLE-1

YOUR NAME
STREET ADDRESS
CITY, STATE ZIP CODE

TODAY’S DATE HERE

The Honorable JUDGE NAME HERE
County Court Orange County
285 Main Street
Goshen, NY 10924

Re: Pistol Permit – YOUR NAME, NYS PISTOL PERMIT NUMBER

Dear JUDGE NAME HERE;

I am writing this letter to request consideration for an unrestricted pistol permit.

I would like the ability to carry for purposes of hunting, fishing, camping, target shooting, hiking, walking, carrying sums of money, competitive events and during other sporting activities such as mountain biking.

I am an avid sportsman and a member of INSERT CLUB OR RANGE NAME HERE. I have taken the NRA sanctioned classes XXXX, XXXX and XXXX in order to ensure and reinforce my dedication to safety and the rule of law.

I am requesting the permit be unrestricted to avoid any incidental or unintentional violations of restrictions while engaged in the activities listed above as I’ve requested multiple reasons for having the permit. Please be assured it is not my intent to carry or possess a firearm on a regular or daily basis.

Thank you very much for your consideration in this matter.

Respectfully submitted,

YOUR NAME

SAMPLE-2

INSERT DATE HERE

The Honorable XXXXXXX (Judge name)
County Court Orange County
285 Main Street
Goshen, NY 10924[/B]

Re: Pistol Permit #XXX-XXX, Issued XX/XX/XX

Dear Judge XXXXX;

I am writing this letter to request that the restrictions on my pistol permit be lifted, allowing unrestricted carry.

My permit is presently restricted to XXXXXX. I would like the ability to carry for purposes of hunting, fishing, camping, target shooting, hiking, walking, carrying sums of money, competitive events and during other activities such as mountain biking.

I am an avid sportsman and presently a member of the INSERT CLUB OR RANGE NAME HERE. I have held a NYS pistol permit for XX years. I have recently taken a number of NRA certified classes to reinforce my dedication to safety and the rule of law. I also am a strong advocate of common sense gun control laws. I am requesting the permit be unrestricted to avoid any incidental or unintentional violation of my restrictions while engaged in the activities listed above. Please be assured it is not my intent to carry or possess a firearm on a regular or daily basis.

Thank you very much for your consideration in this matter.

Respectfully submitted,

YOUR NAME

Going in on Wednesday after a 6 month wait just to submit the paperwork. I used a combination of the letters above as a starting point for my CC justification, and it looks pretty good. That being said, it still sounds like a crapshoot on what Judge you get, so I'm hoping I pull Aloi.

Wish me luck!

I've had my target permit for 3 years in orange county. I recently used the same letter as a guideline, to my surprise 2 weeks after submitting my request my permit arrived with restrictions removed.. My buddy in Putnam county waited 6 months for a hearing to be told he needed to take a gun course within 4 weeks or have his permit suspended.

I have twice tried to get my carry conceal in Onondaga County, I have attached my military cert's, Rochester Personnel Defense Certs and membership to different clubs plus additional references that indicate I carry cash for late night bank deposits and have been turned down twice from Judge Brunetti. It is really a shame that the County Leg has tied the courts hands in this regard. Surrounding counties allow their folks to carry and there is no issue. Here in Onondaga in order to carry concealed you either had to get a license twenty years ago or be part of one of the gangs in Syracuse and surrounding areas.

I know this is an old post, but the county legislature has nothing to do with it. Pistol licenses are issued by county court judges in accordance with state law.

I submitted my CCW amendment and 2 days later they called me to tell me my amendment was all set. No classes, no begging, no affidavits.

There is a way to accomplish this in Onondaga. We found through student feedback that there is a lawyer in the area that can help you obtain the full carry. he has helped more than a few of our students and most likely a bunch of others. PM me and I'll get you his info.

Dave

An attorney is not required and most granted full carries I am aware of did NOT use an attorney. Many of our students have been granted full carry in 2012. We know of several who were granted full carry PRIOR to taking any of our classes. A good letter including why and what makes you different than the average citizen with a need to carry a concealed weapon seems to be the ticket as well as a clean criminal record. As I have posted previously, all three judges will grant concealed carry from what we have seen. If restricted or denied, I would definately suggest training and an attorney.

Just to clarify:

There has been a shift in the way the judges have been doing the permits. Again, this is from direct feedback from the students and their communications from the judges. Yes. The judges have been granting those that can 'show proper cause' a full carry. Those that did not meet their criteria used the assistance of the lawyer which got them the full carry permit. I do not know the cost or the length but I do know it works. If you do any kind of training that meets the judges criteria, and they turn down your request for the full carry, you can use the other procedure and still obtain it.

Right from the students and the applicants.

Go forth and train people - there are so many ways you will win and very few ways, if any at all, that you can lose.

Schenectady county is offering an advanced training course that will allow you to have unrestricted carry. I took the course a few months ago and passed the live fire tests with ease. Wrote my letter to the judge, included a copy of my certificate and 2 days later recieved my unrestricted permit!

I just joined this forum and this is a great thread. I'll be signing up this week to take the RPD course the end of this month and then submitting my request for amendment to a CC. I'm in Onondaga Co.

I have taken several of the rpd classes and I am scheduled to take the defensive pistol 201 on nov 4th. They are great classes. I have my full carry thanks to the training from Dave and his instructors. My wife has even started the permit process and will be getting some private lessons until she is comfortable and will be taken the class line up from Rochester personal defense. You can never have enough training.

NYS Pistol Permit inconsistencies

I live in Niagara County...every permit is CC, have had mine for over 10 years.
My friends live 2 miles from me, Erie County...target permit initially, petition for carry...crap shoot like Onondaga
Considering a move to Onondaga, am commuting currently.
Does anyone have experience moving to Onondaga County with a current NYS CC from another county?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back