One in the chamber? Or not!!

Yep,

one chambered and ready to go.

I carry one in the pipe at all times, I figure if I need may sidearm, I'm gonna need it in a hurry and I'm gonna need it ready to fire.

I too carry one in the chamber, but I feel (At this point) better with the safety on. I know it would slow my reaction time down. :eek:

To carry without one in the tube is D-U-M-B. If your going to do that, just quit carrying. Your going to get yourself hurt.

Not me!

I would suggest that one in the camber is not always a good idea. A older fellow in my community with a concealed carry license was hit by a bunch of skumbag drunks at an intersecition. The scumbags jumped out of thier car and approached his vehicle like they were going to drag him out and beat his ass. He grabbed his gun and in the excitement of the moment slipped his finger in the trigger guard and accidently shot himself in the leg. He died of blood loss before they could get him to the hospital. In a hostile situation mistakes are easy to make.
I carry a Kel Tek P32 in a hip pocket holster and have seriously debated the pros and cons of one in the chamber. As I have to reach behind the trigger to pull the Kel Tek out of the holster, I am worried that in the heat of a violent encounter I may blow a chunk out of my butt pulling the weapon. Than is not something I want to have to explain to family and friends. So i take the extra precaution of keeping the chamber empty. I would have the same concerns if I was carrying in Thunderwear.
I think this is a very personal decision that each and every one of use must make on our own. I know from personal experance than even the police have thier share of accidental discharges, and screwups with weapons. Very few police departments do not have a few bullet holes somewhere inside the building. ;)

I too carry one in the chamber, but I feel (At this point) better with the safety on. I know it would slow my reaction time down. :eek:

I do not carry a double action with the safety on. However, I fell if you are comfortable that way and practice, it would not slow your reaction time enough to make any difference. Obviously, the safety can be flipped off as you draw the pistol :)

What is the first thing you do if being fired on? My training has been find cover then stop threat.

I always carry one in the chamber. If you've been able to find cover at the critical moment, having to rack the slide alerts the BG that you have a gun, and dispenses with any confusion about your location. In a situation where you're taking out a mall shooter or a similar type of scenario, this can totally blow any advantage you have left.

Additionally, there's always the possibility that the round might jam while you're chambering it - or, you might be totally unable to rack the slide. Maybe the gun is covered in blood or one or both hands are injured. That would be highly unfortunate.

Get a carry gun and holster that you're confident will be safe enough to carry fully loaded and ready to go. Otherwise, you're carrying a paperweight around with you.

When I carry one of my Sigs (DA/SA), it if fully loaded and one in the chamber.
When I carry my S.A. 1911 A1, its fully loaded, one in chamber, thumb safety activated. I am sorry for the person that shot himself in the leg, but with his luck, he could of had an empty chamber and racked the slide and then shot himself in the leg in all the excitement. but I figure most of the time, if I have to pull it, it will be time for immediate action.

my mother used to carry a .380 Colt Pocketlite, Chamber empty. I said Mother, I guess if you are attacked, you can request a few seconds of timeout, so you can chamber a round. I am sure the Bad Guy will grant it.

she now carries a .380 Kel Tec. the colt was stolen from her purse that she left it in the car.

Larry, from the Greater (ref.to size only) Houston Area.

Last edited:
I've carried both ways over the years depending on the type of handgun and circumstances at the time. It always cracks me up when someone posts that a handgun carried without one in the tube is a paperweight or a rock......they usually proclaim this as if no-one had ever heard that one before......
Say what you want....I'd rather have a handgun with 10 in the magazine than a rock....not saying this is my prefered method of carry but really... it doesn't render the weapon completly useless.....

Say what you want....I'd rather have a handgun with 10 in the magazine than a rock....not saying this is my prefered method of carry but really... it doesn't render the weapon completly useless.....
It's not useless, except for most situations in which you'd have to use it. Maybe if the BGs are totally deaf, or their fame precedes them 10 seconds before they show up, or they're using flintlock pistols that require a time-consuming reload procedure, then racking the slide wouldn't be a problem.

In some situations, you might actually get stabbed before you'd have a chance to shoot back. That would put a new twist on an old phrase. :eek:

I always carry with one in the chamber.I don't remember if I always did,but I always do now.As previously stated,I want to be ready if I need to use it.

I would just say that, unless you've had extensive training or many hours of practice, it would be wise to keep one in the chamber. Fine motor skills tend to be the first thing to go during fight/flight mode, and doing things like racking the slide or taking off a safety may actually become difficult during the moment of truth. That's why I think it's best for a beginner to carry a wheel gun or a Glock, that way all you'd have to do is point and shoot. I would not want to carry 1 in the chamber in some firearms but with a Glock and its' internal safeties (and obviously a wheel gun) carrying 1 in the chamber is only going to help and definitely not hurt you. Just my opinion......

It's not useless, except for most situations in which you'd have to use it. Maybe if the BGs are totally deaf, or their fame precedes them 10 seconds before they show up, or they're using flintlock pistols that require a time-consuming reload procedure, then racking the slide wouldn't be a problem.

In some situations, you might actually get stabbed before you'd have a chance to shoot back. That would put a new twist on an old phrase. :eek:

It's all about risk management. My point is..I would never look down my nose at someone who was not completly comfortable carrying a handgun with one in the tube. It's a very personal decision , maybe that person hasn't had adequate training and is smart enough to realize that he may be safer on a daily basis by being forced to rack the slide. Maybe the guy is a statistics freak and figures that chambering and unchambering a round every day for years and years presents a greater risk to himself then the chance that he may find himself in a self defense situation with no time to rack the slide. Who the heck knows! I think everyone agrees that not having to rack the slide puts you in the game quicker, but for people to say you might as well not carry if you don't put one in the tube is nuts!

Last edited:
Well I carry one in the tube,but I do not carry my knife open. It is still with me .Better none in the tube than no tube at all.

Interesting article I came across yesterday

Link Removed

I know you're not carrying a 1911, but a good article just the same addressing the need to be ready when the proverbial "poop" hits the fan.

It's all about risk management. My point is..I would never look down my nose at someone who was not completly comfortable carrying a handgun with one in the tube. It's a very personal decision , maybe that person hasn't had adequate training and is smart enough to realize that he may be safer on a daily basis by being forced to rack the slide. Maybe the guy is a statistics freak and figures that chambering and unchambering a round every day for years and years presents a greater risk to himself then the chance that he may find himself in a self defense situation with no time to rack the slide. Who the heck knows! I think everyone agrees that not having to rack the slide puts you in the game quicker, but for people to say you might as well not carry if you don't put one in the tube is nuts!
I understand your reasoning, but based on what happens in crime situations, I can't foresee a likely situation in which you'd have time to rack the slide. At best, it would alert the criminals to the fact that someone nearby is armed. They're not going to think before shooting at you; they'll just do it, and worry about the consequences later. That's what got them where they are.

The key is to carry a gun that you feel comfortable carrying with a chambered round. You can still keep the safety on - you should just be able to disengage it while drawing. Test it in a variety of carrying positions to make absolutely sure the safety will never disengage unintentionally.

It's sort of like keeping a single fire extinguisher in the house, and it's in the kitchen. If you wake up and your house is burning down, what's the chance of being able to run into the kitchen? Normally, you could make the trip in a few seconds if needed, but it'll be really hard if you just woke up and there's a wall of smoke and flames in your way. I sleep near a fire extinguisher, because it will help to put out the fire that's between me and the window, and then as a battering ram to bust out the window. It's also an effective melee/short range surprise weapon if needed. Remember, the fire department is just minutes away! :eek:

Carry Condition

My Beretta 9000s is SA/DA with a safety/decocker and a visable/accessable hammer.

I normally have:
  • One in the pipe
  • Hammer down
  • Safety on
If I sense possible immediate use:
  • One in the pipe
  • Hammer down
  • Safety OFF
  • Still in the holster
If I sense actual immediate use:
  • One in the pipe
  • Hammer cocked - if time
  • Safety OFF
  • Two hand grip outside the holster

I Carry A 1911 Cocked And Locked. I Am Comfortable With It. I Use The Safety As Added Precaution. Would Never Go Without One In The Pipe. You Need To Practice To Feel Comfortable With Your Weapon. I Shoot In Idpa And It Has Helped Me To Be Confident In What I Do. Know Your Weapon! It Is Your Frind.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back