Officer told me yesterday no longer required to show CCW when stopped by LEO

Normal procedure should be to ensure that the officer feels safe and in control.

Thank goodness I live in a state that does not require such nonsense. Normal procedure in Washington is that neither the driver nor the officer mentions anything about CPLs or lawfully possessed firearms! :yes2:

Thank goodness I don't live in a state where handing a gun to a friend so he can look at it, or perhaps even shoot it without breaking the law. Or take the grandsons to the range and let them shoot my guns, all legally.

I went through this last week when a Michigan State Police trooper pulled me over because, supposedly, I have a brake light out (we checked it later, and found it to be not quite as bright as the other brake light, but still functioning). MI is a "must notify" state. I sat there with my hands on the steering wheel until he came to the door and asked for my driver's license, at which time I informed him of my cpl/carry status and then advised him that I was reaching into my back pocket for my wallet. I provided him with both my license and cpl, at which time he asked me where I was carrying my firearm, which I told him. He wasn't any too concerned about it, ran my license, and then advised me to replace the supposedly faulty bulb and let me go.

The best way to handle the entire situation is to hand your permit with the drivers license. No matter how you say " I got a gun" makes an officer at ease. This lets him be the one to start dialogue on the subject.

The best way to handle the entire situation is to hand your permit with the drivers license. No matter how you say " I got a gun" makes an officer at ease. This lets him be the one to start dialogue on the subject.

#1. If I give him my permit with my driver's license then I have started the dialog of the possible presence of a gun, not the officer.

#2. I have been stopped several times over the years while carrying a firearm. Not a word was mentioned about my permit or my gun by either the officer or myself because I am not required to show my CPL unless the officer asks for it. The stops were completed professionally and efficiently. To me that is the best way to handle the situation.

#3. Setting the officer "at ease".... do you also extend the same "courtesy" to clerks at the convenience store, taxi drivers and bus drivers? Imagine the clerk's reaction if you reached for your wallet when getting ready to pay for your candy bar and the clerk got a glimpse of your gun or the outline of your gun and not being prepared for it. Wouldn't it put them much more at ease if you entered the store and first thing showed them your permit and explained, "If you should happen to notice that I am carrying a gun, I just want to let you know that it's nothing to be concerned about because I have this permit." Or showing the taxi driver your permit and explaining, "We are going to be in this vehicle together and just wanted to let you know I am a good guy." To me that seems no less ridiculous than showing my CPL to a police officer when not required to by law using the excuse of "putting them at ease."

#4. If the officer really wants to know about my gun how about just asking, "Sir, are you carrying any firearms or weapons today?" How fricken' hard is that?

#5 Of course the absolute best way to deal with traffic stops would be for me to pay more attention to my speed and not give them a reason to stop me in the first place.

Nope. I live in a 'must advise state'. When stopped, I follow the law and advise that I am armed (if I am). Now the ball is in the officers court. He can ask for my drivers license, registration, proof of insurance or my CHP. I will provide only what he requests, which has only been my drivers license.

OBTW, the probably know I have a CHP before they ever initiate the stop, by running the registered owner based on tag# either through dispatch or on their laptop. I have heard this dialogue by both city and sheriff's dispatchers on a scanner. A friend that is a deputy said that we know if they have a CHP on virtually every traffic stop, or when we respond to an address.

Any "law" that requires someone who is exercising a constitutional right to tell anyone about it while a convicted felon would be protected by the "law" in the same situation from having to do so is not a real "law" and therefore should be ignored.

I was stopped for speeding in Refugio, TX recently. Handed the officer my DL and LTC and he asked if I was carrying. I answered yes and offered to let him take control of the weapon during the stop since I would have to reach over it repeatedly during the stop. He answered "no, I don't worry about guys who tell me they're carrying. I worry about the illegal ones". SOB still wrote me a $340 BS ticket. Got me for 18 mph over in a school zone which didn't actually become a "school zone" until after I entered it. (I run a dash cam with time stamp...Flashing lights come on at 7:00 am, I passed the lights at 6:59:31 and video show them OFF and he stopped me at 7:00:24). Just a word of warning...Refugio, TX is a speed trap.

offered to let him take control of the weapon during the stop since I would have to reach over it repeatedly during the stop.

When you enter a convenience store, do you also offer the clerk to take control of your weapon while you are in the store since you are likely to have to reach over it to retrieve your wallet to pay for your purchase? After all, the clerk has no idea if you are Joe Goodguy there to buy a candy bar, or a criminal reaching for his gun to rob the place. Wouldn't it put the clerk "at ease" if you offered to hand over your gun to them during the time you are in the store, especially if you are the only customer? Historically, that is a very dangerous time for convenience store clerks, when there is only one of them and one other person in the store - that is most likely the circumstance under which they will be robbed. Seems to me like that would be the "courteous" and "respectful" thing to do.

In some states you are required to tell and officer you are carrying concealed if stopped. And, some states you are not. I live in a state that you don't .

In some states you are required to tell and officer you are carrying concealed if stopped. And, some states you are not. I live in a state that you don't .

Yeah, but asking the officer if they want to hold your gun? "Officer, would you like to put me, yourself, and anyone else around us in extra danger by needlessly taking my gun from me and taking it back to your car with you where you will do God only knows what with it?"

I live in a must advise state, however that does not mean you volunteer to surrender your gun to the cop.

If the cop wants to take control of my gun, I will first explain that we are both safer if no one handles their gun, and if he gets all rambo and insists, I will not touch my gun, he will have to disarm me, and I will take this up with the chief or sheriff after the fact.

Anyone else here this?
Assuming you are in Texas the information that officer provided is incorrect. Now, it could have been that the specific officer you are referring to didn't care to see it but that's not what the law states.

Now, there is no penalty or fine in place for not showing your LTC but the statute says you will provide your DL and LTC to the officer. Failure to actually provide it may cause the officer to become slightly concerned since he/she most certainly knows you have one it's still ironic that NO penalty or fine actually exists for that action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back