Officer told me yesterday no longer required to show CCW when stopped by LEO

LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws.LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws

What part of this do you not understand?

If I'm carrying, then I bring it out with my license --- even if it isn't asked for. For me, it's the safe thing to do and clear up any doubt up front. Besides, by the time the office gets out and comes to my car he already knows if I have a CCL anyway just by running my plate.

Not applicable to me I have a out of state CCW would not be in my present states system, even though it is recognized in my present state.

NC is a "must inform" state, but after that I do not have to show my permit unless the LEO asks for it.

Last time I had an interaction with a local LEO after a minor traffic accident, I "informed" the officer, and he said OK, but never asked to see my permit. Of course he did ask for my drivers license since I was one of the drivers.

Not applicable to me I have a out of state CCW would not be in my present states system, even though it is recognized in my present state.

Since you posted in the Texas forum, one would assume that you were referring to Texas law--which does require this regardless of which state issued your license.

But of course, if you are in another state, you need to follow their laws.

No I ment I would not be in the states data base since my CCW is from another state. So the officer would not know I had a CCW when he ran my plates. Sorry for the misunderstanding

No I ment I would not be in the states data base since my CCW is from another state. So the officer would not know I had a CCW when he ran my plates. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Ah, I understand. The LEO won't find you in the database but you still need to show your CCW license when asked for ID.

Sounds like a play on words. Michigan law say that you have to inform law enforcement that you have a CPL. Telling LE and showing them are two different things. If I am traveling and have weapons in the truck or on my person, I beleive that it would be in my and your best interest to inform law enforcement that you have weapon(s).

If I'm carrying, then I bring it out with my license --- even if it isn't asked for. For me, it's the safe thing to do and clear up any doubt up front. Besides, by the time the office gets out and comes to my car he already knows if I have a CCL anyway just by running my plate.
No he doesn't. Your plate may link you to a CCW permit but he has no idea who's driving the car. So everyone gets treated with suspicion. If your state doesn't require informing then I would not do it unless asked specifically, asked to get out of the car while carrying or if it's in the glove box where your insurance card resides.
This poor guy did nothing but reach into his car for his license when the cop asked for it. He was shot for it --> South Carolina trooper shot unarmed man, police say - CNN.com. Stopped for a seatbelt violation. Shot for NOTHING!!! Keep your mouth shut unless required.

Check state law and remember not all cops are the same nor do they all have an accurate understanding of the law. I've been told that Kansas DLs and tags don't reveal CCW info anyway.

You are required to produce your CHL when carrying and asked by LEO for ID, however the penalty for failing to do so has been removed. That stated, I offer it up w/ my ID if carrying, and I do not if I am not carrying.

Check state law and remember not all cops are the same nor do they all have an accurate understanding of the law. I've been told that Kansas DLs and tags don't reveal CCW info anyway.

I'm sure every state is different, but in NC, my CHP is part of the information linked to my drivers license. I also know that it is standard procedure that when a vehicle tag is called in on a traffic stop, the registered owner is run, and that in a round about way links the tag to my permit. This has been confirmed by several deputy sheriff's I know, and the shift supervisor of dispatchers for the city police dispatchers at the 911 center. Plus I've heard it when listening to my scanner. Seems that it happens more often now, an indication that more people are getting their carry permits.

You are required to produce your CHL when carrying and asked by LEO for ID, however the penalty for failing to do so has been removed. That stated, I offer it up w/ my ID if carrying, and I do not if I am not carrying.

That is going to depend on the state. I am required to advise, but I don't have to show my permit unless I am asked for it. In the one encounter I have had, the city cop didn't ask to see it, only my drivers license.

That is going to depend on the state. I am required to advise, but I don't have to show my permit unless I am asked for it. In the one encounter I have had, the city cop didn't ask to see it, only my drivers license.

Since this is the Texas thread, I'm citing the Texas requirements.

Besides, by the time the office gets out and comes to my car he already knows if I have a CCL anyway just by running my plate.
That's amazing! He actually knows who is behind the wheel of the car just by running the plate? Wow. You have some psychic cops down there. Up here in Washington they have no idea who is driving the car just by running the plates. All three of my cars will come back to my name but 2 out of 3 of my cars are 99% chance being driven by my wife or daughter, neither of which have CPLs. Texas is truly amazing! Not to mention very 2A unfriendly. I don't have to tell cops a dang thing about my gun or CPL.

That's amazing! He actually knows who is behind the wheel of the car just by running the plate? Wow. You have some psychic cops down there. Up here in Washington they have no idea who is driving the car just by running the plates. All three of my cars will come back to my name but 2 out of 3 of my cars are 99% chance being driven by my wife or daughter, neither of which have CPLs. Texas is truly amazing! Not to mention very 2A unfriendly. I don't have to tell cops a dang thing about my gun or CPL.

Odds are the registered owner is the driver.

Traffic stops are the most dangerous interactions cops have with unknown people, and they are going in with all the knowledge they can learn prior to making contact with the driver. I don't blame them, they want to go home also.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back