Officer told me yesterday no longer required to show CCW when stopped by LEO

Odds are the registered owner is the driver.

Not true. I am registered on all my vehicles, but rarely drive the wife's car, and bet it is that way in most families.

Not true. I am registered on all my vehicles, but rarely drive the wife's car, and bet it is that way in most families.

In your household, this may well be true, but that has no bearing on everyone else. All our vehicles are in my name, but the wife also carries.

Besides, any LEO pulling your wife over is not going assume that she is George, or Robert or Billy Bob, when he sees a female driver. They do it for a reason, and you can say it ain't so as much as you want, that is common practice, at least in states where DL information will include the fact that they also have a carry permit.

Each of the deputies I know have been on the force probably 15 - 20 years each, and tell me this how it works, plus the dispatcher I have known for over 40 years says it is common practice for all dispatchers to run the registered owner based on the tag, and report anything that shows up, including that they have a carry permit.

Why doesn't your wife carry? My wife does, as does my adult daughter.

Do you automatically show you ID, or do you only provide your ID if the officer requests it?

If the cop asks you for ID like during a traffic stop, or if he comes up to you and asks, you are required to show both your ID and Concealed Handgun License if you are carrying. There is no penalty for failing to do so, but it could annoy the cop.

Some people will show their CHL when not carrying, since if you have a Texas ID or DL and a Texas CHL, the CHL will show up when LEO runs your ID. I don't.

If the cop asks you for ID like during a traffic stop, or if he comes up to you and asks, you are required to show both your ID and Concealed Handgun License if you are carrying. There is no penalty for failing to do so, but it could annoy the cop.

Some people will show their CHL when not carrying, since if you have a Texas ID or DL and a Texas CHL, the CHL will show up when LEO runs your ID. I don't.

That is what the LEO was communicating no penalty no reason to show.

Odds are the registered owner is the driver.

Traffic stops are the most dangerous interactions cops have with unknown people, and they are going in with all the knowledge they can learn prior to making contact with the driver. I don't blame them, they want to go home also.

So the cop would be completely stupid to assume the driver is the registered owner of the vehicle then - when dispatch comes back and tells them the registered owner is a good guy.

So the cop would be completely stupid to assume the driver is the registered owner of the vehicle then - when dispatch comes back and tells them the registered owner is a good guy.

I'm just telling how things are done, at least with the local sheriff's department, PD, and SHP, if you have to piss and moan about that, take it up with the departments that operate in this manner. I'll be glad to provide you with names and phone numbers if you want to tell them how stupid they are.

In your household, this may well be true, but that has no bearing on everyone else. All our vehicles are in my name, but the wife also carries.

Besides, any LEO pulling your wife over is not going assume that she is George, or Robert or Billy Bob, when he sees a female driver. They do it for a reason, and you can say it ain't so as much as you want, that is common practice, at least in states where DL information will include the fact that they also have a carry permit.

Each of the deputies I know have been on the force probably 15 - 20 years each, and tell me this how it works, plus the dispatcher I have known for over 40 years says it is common practice for all dispatchers to run the registered owner based on the tag, and report anything that shows up, including that they have a carry permit.

I have one vehicle registered to my business. And although NY doesn't connect permits and DMV info I wonder how this is handled in states where the registrar's permit info pops on a DMV check. Anyone know the answer to this?

I have one vehicle registered to my business. And although NY doesn't connect permits and DMV info I wonder how this is handled in states where the registrar's permit info pops on a DMV check. Anyone know the answer to this?
Warning: your blood pressure will spike when you read this:

Not well, at least in Maryland. Link Removed

In Nebraska I will have to tell the police officer that I'm carrying and I have to give them my drivers license and CC license too. If I'm not carrying, I have to inform them also. I don't know what all of the other state's are doing. But in Nebraska, it is attached to my drivers license.

I find it interesting that you make a brash swipe with the old paint brush in your statement "Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post Odds are the registered owner is the driver.", then you turn right around and tell me I cannot do the same thing. What evidence do you have that quantifies your statement? A study? a link? anything? No/ Just your opinion right? Then in my opinion, and experience, My statement is correct. Most families I know the husband is the registered owner of the vehicles.
You also are basing your "facts " on where you live, and the way things are done there. Guess what, other states do it different. In some states dispatchers only run what the officer requests. Also, not all states tie CCL to vehicle registration.

Where did I say if my wife carries or not? And what does it matter if she does or doesn't? Again, making rash statement of "fact" with no proof to back it up.

"Each of the deputies I know have been on the force probably 15 - 20 years each, and tell me this how it works, plus the dispatcher I have known for over 40 years says it is common practice for all dispatchers to run the registered owner based on the tag, and report anything that shows up, including that they have a carry permit."

Once more, in your state. Not all states do that, and this thread, and question is about Texas, not YOUR state.

In closing, it would be in your best interest to answer questions in regards to your states regulations, and not other states where laws may/ are different from yours. Now, you can remove your foot from your mouth and continue on.

Have a nice day.

Warning: your blood pressure will spike when you read this:

Not well, at least in Maryland. Link Removed
My God, these cops need to be fired. How scared of people are they to feel they must do this to a family. Chickenshit punk cop.
"All that time, he's humiliating me in front of my family, making me feel like a criminal,” John says. “I've never been to prison, never declared bankruptcy, I pay my taxes, support my 20 employees' families; I've never been in any kind of trouble.”
The cop is the real criminal here.

For a LEO to enforce the law he/ she should first know the laws don't ya think and most don't know the laws at all

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If I'm carrying, then I bring it out with my license --- even if it isn't asked for. For me, it's the safe thing to do and clear up any doubt up front. Besides, by the time the office gets out and comes to my car he already knows if I have a CCL anyway just by running my plate.
No, he will know when he runs your drivers license. The CHL is tied to the drivers license, not the license plate of the car.

NC is a "must inform" state, but after that I do not have to show my permit unless the LEO asks for it.

Last time I had an interaction with a local LEO after a minor traffic accident, I "informed" the officer, and he said OK, but never asked to see my permit. Of course he did ask for my drivers license since I was one of the drivers.
If you are stopped in Texas, under Texas law, you are required to present your CHL if you are in possession of your CCW. If you don't, you just broke the law. You follow the carry laws of the state you are in, not the state you got your CHL in.

If you are stopped in Texas, under Texas law, you are required to present your CHL if you are in possession of your CCW. If you don't, you just broke the law. You follow the carry laws of the state you are in, not the state you got your CHL in.

If I am in my vehicle, and armed, in a must notify state, I am not reaching for a damn thing. My hands will be on the steering wheel, and I will advise. Then it is in the LEO's hands, and he can ask where it is, and ask for my ID and permit which I will provide. To say officer, "I'm armed" and to start digging in your pockets will at minimum get a gun pointed directly at you, in the hands of an excited cop.

Oh I totally agree with you. Notify that you are a CHL holder and that you are in possession of the ccw, and ask how he wants to proceed. Or have the documents in hand for him when he gets to your vehicle. Your call. Normal procedure should be to ensure that the officer feels safe and in control.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back