Off-Duty Detroit Police Shooting

cmhbob

Sig fault.
Can't wait to hear how this one plays out.

Off-duty Detroit cop, carrying a department-issue .40 cal S&W (model, anyone?) in some sort of belt holster, dancing with his wife at a party. Another woman comes up behind him, hugs him. Weapon fires, hitting the second woman in the chest. She dies.

Cannot figure out how this could happen. Not with a belt holster. It's being called accidental at the moment, but I'm having a hard time buying that. Negligent, sure. But not "accidental." For a weapon carried barrel-down (and I've not seen a barrel-up belt holster), it's just not going to fire backwards and up while in the holster. She had to have put hands on it.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Off-duty Detroit cop, carrying a department-issue .40 cal S&W (model, anyone?) in some sort of belt holster, dancing with his wife at a party. Another woman comes up behind him, hugs him. Weapon fires, hitting the second woman in the chest. She dies.

Cannot figure out how this could happen. Not with a belt holster. It's being called accidental at the moment, but I'm having a hard time buying that. Negligent, sure. But not "accidental." For a weapon carried barrel-down (and I've not seen a barrel-up belt holster), it's just not going to fire backwards and up while in the holster. She had to have put hands on it.

Link Removed

Link Removed

He was probably wearing a shoulder rig.....

Link Removed

Link Removed

I think they got the holster wrong, and it was a horizontal shoulder rig.

Otherwise maybe a ricochet? Far fetched...shoulder rig is my guess.

Aren't holsters supposed to "cover the trigger" when the gun,and holster are properly matched? Sounds like a serious F up on the owners part.

The woman that died was the one that hugged the Officer from behind and she was shot in the lung and then heart is what the links are saying now. So that would make since if it was a shoulder holster. Some SOB holsters carry the pistol horizontally but I don't se how that would have hit her where it did.

I’ll say it sounds strange to me how it could happen. This is one to keep following.

I dig your signature statement there Firefighterchen!

Thanks :) It's actually 2 quotes, the first being from the movie To Save A Life. The latter is the more famous quote from Edmund Burke. They go together quite well though don't you think?

Detroit issues the M&P 40. And I agree things in this story do not add up.

Was the .40 cal S&W his duty handgun? I thought the article stated he was carrying off duty, which is optional for their department, but not that he was carrying his duty handgun. I was wrong, it does say it was a "department issued sidearm."

My first thought before ever reading the articles was it was a child that hugged him from behind, which would put her chest at his waist height. But it seems it was a 25 y.o. The first article mentions nothing of the holster style, while the second one states its an IWB holster, but was not quoting anyone, so where did they get this information?

Like TripleTap and I stated, I think the reporter had the holster wrong, and the officer was carrying in a horizontal shoulder rig that points the handgun backwards. How it discharged is still a mystery...

I own a M&P in 9mm, carried it an IWB for times of up to ten hours plus. It has yet to go off, if the gun itself did go off due to a internal issue, the Detroit PD better call up Smith real fast to figure out what the problem is.

There is so much silliness going on in that article that I just can't fathom it. The woman hugged a stranger from behind while he was dancing with another woman... who does that in their right mind? Even assuming they knew each other (which supposedly they didn't), who does that? An off duty cop's concealed firearm in a holster goes off when it's touched? Not buying it. Definitely have to learn more about what transpired.

My wife kinda half kidding ( the other half not)) asked if I was carrying and when I asked why she said so I know whether or not to hug me.

Well, they've supposedly clarified how it hit her in the chest.

Adaisha Miller was on her knees while dancing behind an off-duty Detroit police officer early Sunday when his holstered gun fired, striking her in the chest, a police official familiar with the investigation told the Free Press today.

The official said that explains how Miller was shot in the chest while dancing behind Officer Isaac Parrish during a fish fry early Sunday at his home on Archdale.
The official said the angle of the gunshot is possible because Miller was not standing and described it as some type of "exotic dance" where Miller, 24, was tugging at Parrish’s waist.

Link Removed

Was reading that she was suppose to be dirty dancing on her knees and went to hug him around his waist. Something just does not add up here, someone had the get their finger on the trigger.

My thought at the moment is that the wife got pissed off and shot her with his gun. Nothing at all to back that up except a hinky feeling about the stories.

Has anyone heard if there were holes in his pants where the round passed through? Was he treated at all for the flash/powder burns he must have suffered? I've heard nothing about any injuries he night (should) have suffered from a gun firing from an IWB holster.

My thought at the moment is that the wife got pissed off and shot her with his gun. Nothing at all to back that up except a hinky feeling about the stories.

Was talking with two other retired LEO today and we all pretty much think the same think.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back