OC on school property with a CPL NOT illegal in Michigan.....

E

ezkl2230

The prosecutor said Nicholas Looman, who has his CPL, did nothing illegal when he OC'd to the polls on public school property. Ill-advised, perhaps, but not illegal. The question of OC on school property with a CPL in Michigan is settled.

Link Removed

ezkl2230:281036 said:
The prosecutor said Nicholas Looman, who has his CPL, did nothing illegal when he OC'd to the polls on public school property. Ill-advised, perhaps, but not illegal. The question of OC on school property with a CPL in Michigan is settled.

Link Removed

Why ill-advised?

Not sure about MI, but some jurisdictions allow carry on school property, however prohibit OC (CC is ok) at a polling place.

I always err on the side of assuming people don't know the law with regard to carrying and gun laws. Sure, what he did may not be illegal, but it's ill-advised because he did nothing but bring attention to himself and most of the other people who were around, not knowing that he wasn't breaking the law, believed that he was and called the police. Can any of you honestly say that, even if it's legal where you live, that you would OC on school property, knowing that someone will probably call the police on you? No one in their right mind should want to go through that.

I always err on the side of assuming people don't know the law with regard to carrying and gun laws.

I err on the side that I might encounter a criminal committing a violent crime with a gun at any time and at any place.

Sure, what he did may not be illegal, but it's ill-advised because he did nothing but bring attention to himself and most of the other people who were around, not knowing that he wasn't breaking the law, believed that he was and called the police.

No, that is not all he did. What he did was carry the means available to protect himself from the actions of criminals in the only way that was legal for him to do so. But, who needs a gun for self defense on school property right? Nobody ever shoots anybody on school property because it is illegal to do so, right?....

Can any of you honestly say that, even if it's legal where you live, that you would OC on school property, knowing that someone will probably call the police on you? No one in their right mind should want to go through that.

I do, every time I pick up or drop off my daughter at school. Because protecting myself and her (when I can) is more important to me than someone making a 911 call and possibly dealing with a LEO who doesn't know the law.

tattedupboy:281048 said:
I always err on the side of assuming people don't know the law with regard to carrying and gun laws. Sure, what he did may not be illegal, but it's ill-advised because he did nothing but bring attention to himself and most of the other people who were around, not knowing that he wasn't breaking the law, believed that he was and called the police. Can any of you honestly say that, even if it's legal where you live, that you would OC on school property, knowing that someone will probably call the police on you? No one in their right mind should want to go through that.

Sounds like the people are ill-educated... How do you think we should fix that? Now they all know, sounds like a job well done to me :)

I can honestly say, if the polls were located on school property but not in the building, I would carry my firearm just like I carry it everyday...openly.

A lot of people complain that the schools are brainwashing our children...I think it's a great thing that someone is open carrying around kids. Let them learn how America should be first hand.

I think the biggest issue now is the mentality that we are not in our right minds when we fight for our 2A....that hiding your guns is the right minded thing to do...and in essence letting them take away our rights a little bit at a time unnoticed. I don't know about you guys...but giving up my rights doesn't sound like a right minded individual.

NavyLCDR:281043 said:
Why ill-advised?

I was waiting for that!

Thanks Navy...I just don't understand why there had to be negative light shed on this topic. It would of been so much better if it was:

"The prosecutor said Nicholas Looman, who has his CPL, did nothing illegal when he OC'd to the polls on public school property. The question of OC on school property with a CPL in Michigan is settled.

Link Removed"

Gets the point across, and keeps gun rights positive. No second guessing.

In Texas no guns on schools or polling places period! The Leos with carry you away if they don't shoot you first.

It might be settled as of this case, but the last paragraph of the story eluded to the school district working with Michigan legislature to make schools safe with a gun free zone. We all know what that means, and how well it would work if implemented. As of now, Mchigan has it correct, do not change a thing.

Link Removed

Been doing it here for 3 years. The reactions I get are all the same... smiles and winks, along with the occasional supportive comments.

Isn't it amazing, the difference between the reality of the actual experience, as opposed to the hysteria of unfounded fear.

Keep in mind that Open Carry on school grounds in Michigan is legal if you have a MICHIGAN CPL. Michigan law does not restrict open carry on school grounds but federal law does unless you have a CPL from that State.

I live in Michigan and to open carry in a school zone is legal if u have a cpl if u do not have a cpl u cannot open carry y is it such a big deal? People who are given cpl are not ur hardened criminal who will carry in a school zone no matter what and regardless of whether the police get called on me or not I am doing nothing illegal and would rather have the means to protect my family no matter where I am

Thanks Navy...I just don't understand why there had to be negative light shed on this topic. It would of been so much better if it was:

"The prosecutor said Nicholas Looman, who has his CPL, did nothing illegal when he OC'd to the polls on public school property. The question of OC on school property with a CPL in Michigan is settled.

Link Removed"

Gets the point across, and keeps gun rights positive. No second guessing.

Again, I was relating information from a couple of different news outlets regarding this story. That was the gist of the prosecutor's response to the situation.

I always err on the side of assuming people don't know the law with regard to carrying and gun laws.

I err on the side that I might encounter a criminal committing a violent crime with a gun at any time and at any place.

Sure, what he did may not be illegal, but it's ill-advised because he did nothing but bring attention to himself and most of the other people who were around, not knowing that he wasn't breaking the law, believed that he was and called the police.

No, that is not all he did. What he did was carry the means available to protect himself from the actions of criminals in the only way that was legal for him to do so. But, who needs a gun for self defense on school property right? Nobody ever shoots anybody on school property because it is illegal to do so, right?....

Can any of you honestly say that, even if it's legal where you live, that you would OC on school property, knowing that someone will probably call the police on you? No one in their right mind should want to go through that.

I do, every time I pick up or drop off my daughter at school. Because protecting myself and her (when I can) is more important to me than someone making a 911 call and possibly dealing with a LEO who doesn't know the law.

101% agree with navy's breakdown

Link Removed

Been doing it here for 3 years. The reactions I get are all the same... smiles and winks, along with the occasional supportive comments.

Isn't it amazing, the difference between the reality of the actual experience, as opposed to the hysteria of unfounded fear.

That's beautiful !!! Gotta steal that pic

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back