moving to either SC, GA or TN...

jsm7977

Hello gentleman,

I am looking to move to either GA, SC or TN from the crappy state of MD. I am looking for people who can give me the "real deal" as to how hard it is to obtain a CC permit in those 3 states as it is virtually impossible here in MD. Ive never been convicted of anything, no mental issues, etc However when I move I will be renting a home initially and what impact will that have on me obtaining a CC permit in either state I choose? Reading laws on websites doesn't do justice sometimes. I just felt like I should get the info first hand from ppl in the states listed.

Thank you in advance...

I live in TN and it is very simple to get your carry permit. A eight hour class. Then get finger printed, file out a form (they do a background check) and pay $125 dollars and about 60 days later your approved document comes. Then all you do is take the approved docs with you to the DMV and they take your picture and issue a 5 year permit to carry.

SC is pretty easy as well. I think TN is honored in more states. But, most LEOs and businesses here are CC friendly. If we get restaurant carry through in the next couple of weeks SC will be even better. What else are you looking for in a resident state?

What part of Tennessee would you be relocating?
I don't thing being a renter will have any impact on your eligibility Most of the states you mention are fairly easy to get a permit, you clear background checks pay the dees and wait.

Ga is real easy pay go get finger prints and it comes in about 2 weeks

Sent from Glocknut78's iPhone using Link Removed

I live in TN and it is very simple to get your carry permit. A eight hour class. Then get finger printed, file out a form (they do a background check) and pay $125 dollars and about 60 days later your approved document comes. Then all you do is take the approved docs with you to the DMV and they take your picture and issue a 5 year permit to carry.

that's easy??

Being from and living in TN I can't help but feel partial to this state. TN HCP ranks right up near the top of the most state honored permits. It's open or concealed carry. It is rather expensive compared to other states though. Renting or owning, it doesn't matter as long as you have an established residence with a TN address you are good to go.

Ga is real easy pay go get finger prints and it comes in about 2 weeks

Sent from Glocknut78's iPhone using Link Removed

Cobb County in Georgia was about $75 for 5 yr permit.

-Fill out form
-Fingerprint and picture
-Pay $75

License received in a couple weeks.

That doesn't sound accurate... maybe its changed recently? I just got mine a few months back. I had to take the 8 hour class, but the paperwork was done and picture taken all at the same time at a full service drivers license place right away after the class. After that I got Fingerprinted... then 3 weeks later the HCP showed up in the mail (they claim 60 t0 90 days). I have no idea what your talking about getting documents you waited for and have to go to the DMV after?

Out of those three, based only on the "how easy is it to obtain a permit" question, I'd have to say you picked the wrong three to choose from. Alabama has:

- No training requirements
- No fingerprinting
- Picture optional in most counties, mandatory in a handful
- Issuance is instantaneous after successful NICS check in the three counties I've lived in - NO waiting
- $15 bucks per year in this county - ranges from $7.50 to $25 tops in other counties (set by Sheriff)
- You choose how many one-year increments to renew for up to five years, still at the same annual price
- Open carry does not require any permit, but transporting gets a little trickier if you don't have one

Anywhere in the South is freer livin' than anywhere in New England, but Bama is best, least expensive and easiest to get permission-slipped in.

If you come though, don't bring any vestiges of MD with you.
emoticon_shocked.gif

Blues

Being from and living in TN I can't help but feel partial to this state. TN HCP ranks right up near the top of the most state honored permits. It's open or concealed carry. It is rather expensive compared to other states though. Renting or owning, it doesn't matter as long as you have an established residence with a TN address you are good to go.

Try and find oceanfront and you have a problem in TN.

l moved to south carolina from pennsylvania. after a violent encounter with a drugged up teenager, i decided i was going to learn how to lawfully shoot a handgun. spent months of going to the range in preperation to take the cwp class. i received my sc cwp in september and have concealed carried ever since. south carolina is a "shall issue " with reciprosity with tennessee and 18 other states. requirements are sc driver's license or ID card, certificate of cwp class completion,completed application, and a certified check for $50. S.L.E.D (State Law Enforcement Division ) is the sole issuer of all concealed weapons permits in south carolina. also you need 2 completed fingerprint cards. the permit is issued within 90 days. received mine in just 65 days.

hope this is helpful to you.

i will agree with you now that i've now lived in the south, that the south is way freer than the north.

You would also have to agree that Bama is better than the rest of the Southern states on carry *privileges* (none of us have *rights* anymore) after listing all the hoops you have to jump through in SC! LOL

You would also have to agree that Bama is better than the rest of the Southern states on carry *privileges* (none of us have *rights* anymore) after listing all the hoops you have to jump through in SC! LOL

Some of us are hoping we're about to take a step or two in the right direction here in SC. But, despite the training requirement we have here SC is one of the most pro gun states you find in the south. Merchants & leos for the most part are PG and support CC.

The battle's not over for sure. But, we do seem to be gaining some momentum here in SC. (Maybe we can kick a few more AG politicians to the curb soon and things will even get better.)

-

That doesn't sound accurate... maybe its changed recently? I just got mine a few months back. I had to take the 8 hour class, but the paperwork was done and picture taken all at the same time at a full service drivers license place right away after the class. After that I got Fingerprinted... then 3 weeks later the HCP showed up in the mail (they claim 60 t0 90 days). I have no idea what your talking about getting documents you waited for and have to go to the DMV after?

I did my TN HCP last year. If I remember correctly, the sequence was as follows:

- Did the 8 hour class (received class certificate)
- Went a few days later to a DMV full service center with the class certificate (had to wait a few days as the class instructor was not using the state's electronic system, but faxed the certificate to the state)
- Did the paperwork at the DMV center and got the fingerprinting info
- Scheduled the fingerprinting for a few days later (at Goin' Postal)
- Received HCP in the mail about four weeks later

The whole process took about 5 weeks.

The waiting times for processing have varied dramatically last year as there was a surge in TN HCP applications: Link Removed

If you think those are hoops, try getting one in the Peoples Republik of NY.all the forms,fingerprints,mental health HIPAA waiver to sign to give up your rights to your personal health information, background checks, personal references, training class, then to carry you have to justify and have a judge approve.

If you think those are hoops, try getting one in the Peoples Republik of NY.all the forms,fingerprints,mental health HIPAA waiver to sign to give up your rights to your personal health information, background checks, personal references, training class, then to carry you have to justify and have a judge approve.

I made a promise to myself about 25 years ago - I will never move to a place that "allows" less freedom than the place I'm leaving. So....thanks, but no thanks.

About the same time I made that promise to myself, I left the state of my birth, California, and did a sort of backwards Beverly Hillbillies. Landed in Dixie, Alabama to be precise, and while it still ain't my idea of "free," they tolerate freedom down here a damn sight better'n they did in Kommiefornia.

As such, I have never understood why people stay in places where they're basically just slaves to the state. I mean, America as a whole is goin' down that road, so there's some of it everywhere you go anymore, but why volunteer to live with the least freedom and the most tyranny?

I like being able to take note of hoops other people have to jump through, instead of lamenting the hoops I have to jump through while living in a place that I still at least have the freedom to get the heck out of. Maybe that's just me though.
_shrug__or__dunno__by_crula.gif

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back