Mosin Nagant

Simple Green works awesome for all gun cleaning activities!!!!!!

I just bought a 1932 Tula 91/30 I don't know how I managed it, but all the numbers match (the number is 2...yes 2!) and it's pristine. I picked it right out of the crate at the shop. I got a bayonet, strap, and cleaning kit too. All for Just over a hundred. Can't wait to shoot it. I even got a 10 pack of free ammo with it, and I just ordered 300 rounds online for $68. This rifle is beautiful! I have acreage of my own so I'll probably shoot it in my backyard for the first time when the ammo arrives. Can't wait.

Thinking about buying one to plink around with, maybe use to hunt some whitetails. Anyone own one? Pros and cons on them?

I'm extremely interested in this rifle, too.

Can you find brass for these things? I prefer to load my own, especially in a rifle cartridge. Lotta that russian stuff is steel cased.

Got one last week after shooting a friend of mine's at the range. What a blast to shoot! (no pun intended)
The bolt on mine runs a bit smoother than his.
Can get surplus ammo cheap but clean your gun right after you get home because most of the surplus ammo is corrosive.

These are great dependable and affordable rifles...why else would the russian army use them for so long....a few things of note...first is sometimes surplus ammo will lock chambers...this normally occurs with the heavy grain ammo...try using 147 gr....if this does not help then any gunsmith should be able to open the chamber just a thou or two and give the case a bit more room to expand...normally no problem for new production ammo....second.....the safety is a pain...you have to pull the bolt back and then turn...this really sucks in the heat of the moment when a huge elk is standing in front of you...my solution is to hold the trigger and slowly close the bolt to decock it while pointing in a safe direction..This allows you to simply lift the handle straight up and then back down to re-cock it when that big buck comes into view and takes little movement...third...the heavy kick pretty much disappears with the addition of a synthetic stock with a butt pad instead of the butt plate on the wooden stocks...last...as for the corrosive surplus ammo "not all of it is so ask if not sure" can be dealt with and easily cleaned using simple green....many gunsmiths use this for cleaning just about everything....last but not least...most surplus ammo has a steal core...yes this means they can penetrate about anything...most states do not allow use of this for hunting big game........other than that these are perfect, unbreakable and highly accurate rifles that can take down anything in north america

"my solution is to hold the trigger and slowly close the bolt to decock it while pointing in a safe direction.."

Not meaning my third post in these forums to be negative, but to do this with a Mosin is very poorly advised and I strongly recommend against it. The reason is that doing so will put the firing pin against the primer. Any jarring of the gun while it is in this condition can cause it to fire. This is actually far more dangerous than not using the safety.

I have 4 Mosins, oops, 3 now (traded one in towards a Radom P64). My favorite (M91/59) will shoot quarter sized groups @ 100 yds with hand loads, if I do my part.

tom

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back