Mosin Nagant

jimstivers

I've got 3 of these,and they all shoot very well.I think they are the Russian versionof our Springfield 30-06.They seem to be more suited to 200+ yards than closer.I must one of the old farts that got used to these heavier rifles,and enjoy it just as is.

What's not to like!
The kick if you don't have a buttpad.I bought dad a 1927 Hex Izzy 91/30 and I have a 1944 M44 Izzy. Both guns are all numbers matching. After 20 rounds thru mine my shoulder was sore. Ammo fired was 6 rounds of Russian surplus 155gr, 8 rounds of Wolf 155gr and then 6 rounds of Seller and Bellot 180gr. The last rounds are the ones that had the most kick. At no time did it have bolt lockup problems and every round ejected into a neat pile in the same spot. Got the M44 for $80 + tax/NICS check. The 91/30 was $129 + tax/NICS check.

I know what you mean. I can shoot my Ruger 30/06 all day with no problems but my dad's 8mm Mauser used to be good for about 10 rounds before starting to really hurt. It's that steel butt plate; had no give in it at all! If you get one of those Russian greatcoats they wore during the winter campaign, you'll hardly notice the kick. You could get the hat to go with it and have a whole new look!

I am very surprised to here some of the posters state that they can not or have a hard time getting plinking ammo cheap or hunting ammo. Surplus plinking ammo can be found all over the internet at around $80-$100 per 440rd. tins of various bullet weights......As for new stuff brown and silver bear, herters and wolf all make boxes of 20rds for around $10 a box and some of it is not steel cored which works great for hunting...S&B and a few others make higher end hunting rounds ranging from about $15-$30...all can be ordered online at various places including Cabelas and cheaper than dirt. Any local sporting goods place should also be able to order it for you with their normal orders if they do not normally stock it...SO NO EXCUSES!!!!

I love mine. Mine cost $85 and 440 rounds of ammo cost about the same. Got it from J&G and they have many more. If you hold it properly you'll absorb the recoil and have a great time shooting it. I'ts more accurate than I am at 200 yards.

I am very surprised to here some of the posters state that they can not or have a hard time getting plinking ammo cheap or hunting ammo. Surplus plinking ammo can be found all over the internet at around $80-$100 per 440rd. tins of various bullet weights......As for new stuff brown and silver bear, herters and wolf all make boxes of 20rds for around $10 a box and some of it is not steel cored which works great for hunting...S&B and a few others make higher end hunting rounds ranging from about $15-$30...all can be ordered online at various places including Cabelas and cheaper than dirt. Any local sporting goods place should also be able to order it for you with their normal orders if they do not normally stock it...SO NO EXCUSES!!!!
If you buy locally, $8 a 20 rd paper wrapper for milsurp. S&B 180gr runs $21 a box of 20. But it is brass case while the others are steel case and FMJ brass without any steel like the surplus bullets. 15 yds to 200 yds they aren't real good. Past that, look out! Incoming!

I bought a couple @ kygunco. On sale for 69.00 could not pass them up. Love shooting this gun. Lots of fun!

Hers a pic of my favorite Mosin,

I shoot hand loads , Remington brass and Speer bullets

DSCN0703.jpg

and a bit of humor: Humorous Comparison of an AK47, an AR15 and a Mosin

Thinking about buying one to plink around with, maybe use to hunt some whitetails. Anyone own one? Pros and cons on them?

I own the T53(M44) Mosin, made in China in 1954. I love mine!!! It's great to plink with, and you can absolutely use to hunt whitetail.

Pros: Reliable as hell, powerful cartridge, relatively light wieght(M44), has a folding bayonet for... whatever(M44), pretty cheap, ammo is cheap too, a piece of history.

Cons: Model 93/31 is long, and a bit heavy.

Had my wife sold on buying me one for our anniversary. Got to looking and buds is sold out. I know I can order online elsewhere, however I'm not sure of the safest online dealer. Eh, maybe I'll gander the shops when I'm home and find one.

jim stivers

Had my wife sold on buying me one for our anniversary. Got to looking and buds is sold out. I know I can order online elsewhere, however I'm not sure of the safest online dealer. Eh, maybe I'll gander the shops when I'm home and find one.

Try Aimsurplus.com. I got mine there for $80.00. jgsales.com has them also.

I have a russian one already that is alot of fun. Im lookin at a romanian version thats at an upcoming auction.

I have a few Mosin's and agree, they are pretty much bullet proof, fun to shoot and cheap ammo. Just a few notes, the surplus ammo is corrosive and cant be easily reloaded. Give the bore a GOOD cleaning before first use. (I use Montana extreme copper killer 50 BMG). After shooting I usually spray some windex down the barrel to neutralize the acid while I transport it back to the house for a proper cleaning.

Thanks for the windex tip. didn't know it would neutralize it like that.

Keens in Bardstown has them for less than 80.00 right now. I was in there yesterday.

http://www.kygunco.com/products2.cfm/id/51889/name/ati-mosin-nagant-m9130-rifle-762x54r-28.7

I bought one for my 16 year old and he loves it!!!. the safty sucks on it though
The best safety on a Mosin Nagant is the grey matter between one's ears. It really does seem that the design of the safety was an after thought. I wonder how many times they actually were used during the wars.

For a $100 what the heck, but the price and availability of ammo can be troubling. And while I think it's too much gun for skinny TX whitetails, I see some feral hog hunters using it.

bought my 91/30 recently from kygunco. anyone have any tips on getting the cosmoline off the stock? looks like the entire stock and some metal pieces are coated. the receiver and bolt work perfect and dont have a drop on them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back