Mosin Nagant

towboater

Thinking about buying one to plink around with, maybe use to hunt some whitetails. Anyone own one? Pros and cons on them?

I own one with a spotter synthetic stock. They're heavy, long, and have some fair kick so they're no good for a small framed shooter. The kick is similar to a 308. The ammo can be hard to find, but if you buy Russian bulk they're not terribly expensive to feed. I love mine, and have a whole lot of fun shooting it. I've found it to be accurate enough for my needs, and it's incredibly reliable and easy to clean.

Well good deal. I can pick them up at buds for $100. Now to find a way to convince my wife...... I got it! I'll buy her a gun when I get home! Haha

Not to worried about the recoil, I'm a bigger fella 6'2" 240lbs. Now seeing my 95lbs 5'0 wife shoot it....

Oh man my friend has one and we take it to the range every time we go shoot. Big, heavy and nigh-invulnerable. It doubles as a hammer if you need too. Check out gunshows for good ammo. I know he buys his ammo for it in bulk, and usually all surplus ammo. Cheap, fun and you can customize the hell out of it. If for some reason you find that one way to break it (not quite sure how), its cheap enough to just go buy another.

If for some reason you find that one way to break it (not quite sure how), its cheap enough to just go buy another.
If you manage to do that, and I stress if, it's most likely gunna be the bolt or a component in it or snapping off the sights (if you club a grizzly with it I guess). Perfect excuse to throw in a sport stock to lighten it up or a bent bolt and picitany. As stated, easy to customize haha. Lots of fun too. If you put a butt pad on it your wife may even enjoy a few shots with it:cool:

I own one, My friend owns 2. He "sporterized" one with a Monte Carlo Stock, bolt kit and inexpensive scope. All together He has less than $350 in it, including the price of the weapon. ( We bought our Mosins at the same time for $110 each.) The surplus ammo is dead on at the outdoor range. I was able to keep my first group of 5 within 6 inches at 100 yrds. That may not be great for some, but to me, with Iron Sights, that is pretty good.(bench rest used).

I have a few Mosin's and agree, they are pretty much bullet proof, fun to shoot and cheap ammo. Just a few notes, the surplus ammo is corrosive and cant be easily reloaded. Give the bore a GOOD cleaning before first use. (I use Montana extreme copper killer 50 BMG). After shooting I usually spray some windex down the barrel to neutralize the acid while I transport it back to the house for a proper cleaning.

The big thing to remember about shooting mil-surp ammo is that most of it is corrosive, so you need to clean it when you are done shooting. I use windex to clean the corrosive salts from mine. Then just follow-up with some Hoppes, Rem Oil, etc.

These are great dependable and affordable rifles...why else would the russian army use them for so long....a few things of note...first is sometimes surplus ammo will lock chambers...this normally occurs with the heavy grain ammo...try using 147 gr....if this does not help then any gunsmith should be able to open the chamber just a thou or two and give the case a bit more room to expand...normally no problem for new production ammo....second.....the safety is a pain...you have to pull the bolt back and then turn...this really sucks in the heat of the moment when a huge elk is standing in front of you...my solution is to hold the trigger and slowly close the bolt to decock it while pointing in a safe direction..This allows you to simply lift the handle straight up and then back down to re-cock it when that big buck comes into view and takes little movement...third...the heavy kick pretty much disappears with the addition of a synthetic stock with a butt pad instead of the butt plate on the wooden stocks...last...as for the corrosive surplus ammo "not all of it is so ask if not sure" can be dealt with and easily cleaned using simple green....many gunsmiths use this for cleaning just about everything....last but not least...most surplus ammo has a steal core...yes this means they can penetrate about anything...most states do not allow use of this for hunting big game........other than that these are perfect, unbreakable and highly accurate rifles that can take down anything in north america

I had one at one time, and the ammo was a bit spendy for plinking. Military ammo is easy to find, but hunting ammo is another story. Being a military weapon dating back to the 19th century, it is bulky, heavy and kicks like a Missouri mule. Shooting it was a blast.

I think as far as plinking around it would be a fun one to own. I think I'll pick that up and mossbergs atr in 270 as well.

check these guys

Firearms

Their MOsin is $74.00 I have bought three guns from them, and as long as they have what I want, I will keep buying. My best of 3 mosins are from them, it's a tack driver. The bore looks brand new.

I'll shut up now
I have no affiliation with that company BTW

I haven't seen it in my usual ammo puschasing places, but I understand that Tulammo makes 7.62x54, as does Prvi partizan. It might be a little more $, but less chance of corrosion.

Got one beginning of the year shoot it for the first time last week. highly recommend stripping it down and cleaning it of all the Cosmo first. I even went so far to watch YouTube videos and strip the bolt down to the Irving spring, a little tricky, but now I don't have to do it for awhile. Sportsmansupply and fleet farm sell bulk 7.62 x 54r is like $90 or 440 rounds. Beware online costs more cuz of shipping and $23 Hamza's fee. Hunting ammo can be bought, but she is heavy and not something I would wanna carry around all day. Still fun plinker. Took her out to hundred yards and didn't do more than that cuz I would need a scope to see where I'm hitting. Does jam and get sticky bolt syndrome, but with some serious muscle U'll be able to fix any jams

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back