Martial Law in Boston Justified? Yay or Nay?

Was Martial Law Justifed In Boston?

• Yes...It was for the good of the people.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • No...It was a violation of the people's rights.

Votes: 92 92.9%
  • Undecided...My brain hurts.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • What does 'Martial Law' mean???

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

The_Outlaw

~The Dude Abides~
Shocking footage has emerged from Friday’s lockdown in Boston, where police, federal agents, national guard troops and SWAT teams enforced door to door searches of everyone’s home within twenty blocks as the entire city was placed under orders to stay off the streets.

The video, shot by a resident from their own house across the street, shows police barking orders at men and women as they order them at gunpoint to identify themselves, put their hands on their heads, and get out of their own home. They are then ordered to run down the street to be further frisked by police as scores of armed militarized cops look on.

The scenes look like something out of a disaster movie, with the backdrop of suburban America juxtaposed with what is essentially martial law playing out in full daylight.

The story floated in the mainstream media that the door to door searches were conducted with the voluntary consent of the residents of Watertown is clearly false. 9000+ Police locked down an entire city and went in with full force, with armored vehicles and combat gear, all to search for an injured 19 year old kid who turned out to be cowering in someone’s back yard.

While armies of police roamed around people’s homes and private property, Public transportation was shut down, businesses were forced to close, and a no-fly zone was enacted over Boston in an unprecedented show of force.

At this point, as military helicopters buzzed over neighborhoods, the Fourth Amendment had ceased to exist in Boston, which quickly resembled a war zone.

Link Removed

What say you? Is/Was Martial Law Justified in this case??

I don't believe the police had any right to search a home. I would have no problem if they asked the homeowners if they were ok, but forcing people out of thier homes with their hands over their head, entering and searching the home smacks of the gestapo.

Interesting poll since it wasn't martial law to begin with. It has to be military action with a failure of civilian order/authority. Contrary to popular belief, LE doesn't go out every day thinking of ways to F*&ck up your day. Boston continues to wholeheartedly support their LEOs and the job they successfully completed. They were in and out and got their man. Life now goes on.

Link Removed

Won't be long before gun toting agencies here at home outnumber the Military... or do they already?

Nay!

Good poll....hard to quantify an answer that justifies the question. There is a definite difference between martial law and police action for public safety. I don't believe that Boston and surrounding communities declared 'martial law', but there certainly was a preponderance of visuals and police action that can be construed as such.

Exigent circumstances allow for warrant less searches. This is also called 'Hot Pursuit' or 'Fresh Pursuit'. The allowance for entry is based on the preservation of "the need to circumvent the destruction of evidence, and the need to prevent the loss of life or serious injury".

The supreme court has ruled on several cases where they upheld a homeowner's 4th Amendment rights, and there are several cases where they sided with law enforcement. In the Boston case, I would think that a slippery slope was imminent with every house entry and LEO was briefed that the only thing they were looking for was the suspect and whatever evidence that might be linked to the suspect - clothing, blood, etc. If any charges were brought against a home owner non related to the 'hot pursuit of the bombing suspect', a sound defense for the property owner would be that their 4A was violated.

I'm sure there will be some test cases out of this event. It will prove interesting to watch.

Interesting poll since it wasn't martial law to begin with. It has to be military action with a failure of civilian order/authority. Contrary to popular belief, LE doesn't go out every day thinking of ways to F*&ck up your day. Boston continues to wholeheartedly support their LEOs and the job they successfully completed. They were in and out and got their man. Life now goes on.

Link Removed

It's nice to see the cop bringing the family some milk....

Question,
Was this kind gesture of milk delivery done 'after' they aimed deadly assault weapons at the homeowners and their loved ones?

Link Removed

Question,
Was this kind gesture of milk delivery done 'after' they aimed deadly assault weapons at the homeowners and their loved ones?

I never saw that happen...and I watched the search on live tv like everyone else.

Slippery slope, for sure. If the homeowners consented to the searches, then nothing wrong happened. If the homeowner did not consent, it's a violation of said homeowners rights... period.

Was LE acting in what they thought was the best interests of the public? I'm sure they were, absolutely. Did LE do a good job finding the suspects? Yes. Did the population of MA do the right things helping to find the suspects? Yes. Do I think the LEO involved have questionable motives? Well, I wasn't there but, I wouldn't think so.

Would I have allowed them to enter my home, if I knew the suspect was not in my home? No, I do not think I would have consented to that. If you have probable cause, getting a warrant should be easy... it doesn't take very long to get one signed by a judge either, don't give me that crap. A judge wouldv'e signed a warrant faster than you can pass gas during this situation. You want entry, get a warrant.

I do understand the population of MA is very different than mine here though, we are southern and armed... our whole thought process is different, I suppose.

Whoa! You mean cops don't spend all day thinking of how to violate our rights? How dare you speak such things on this forum. You are such a boot licker, blinded by your love for everything police do. You obviously just dont understand anything if you dare post something that is not anti-cop like others on this forum.

Question,

"Deadly assault weapons"? You sound like a typical liberal. Turn off CNN

Oh??
Well here's a little video that they must have 'forgotten' to show you on "live t.v.".

» Shocking Footage: Americans Ordered Out Of Homes At Gunpoint By SWAT teams Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Got milk?

I never saw muzzles pointed at civilians. In fact they lowered their weapons to allow safe exit from the dwelling. They were in PURSUIT. This is not necessarily a new precedent. This precedent has always existed by law for these extenuating circumstances with a culmination of public safety and pursuit designation. So many experts out there on the internet today...who would have a better suggestion on how they would have apprehended this individual? Someone who hours before assassinated a cop in his patrol car, threw explosives at cops, kicked his dying brother out of a hijacked car and subsequently ran him over and dragged his body down the road etc etc.

Oh??
Well here's a little video that they must have 'forgotten' to show you on "live t.v.".

Link Removed

Got milk?

Dang how many people can live be in a house??? Scary if it is a police state. IMHO, everyone aught to file some law suits over police burtality and see how some of this plays out.

KNOCK KNOCK!!
We have surrounded your house and will now forcefully enter your private property without your permission!
NOW GET OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!
NO SUDDEN MOVES OR WE WILL SHOOT YOU!
KEEP YOUR F'NG HANDS UP!
We will now search you, your wife and the rest of your loved ones without justification!
Now we will search your entire house without your permission, step aside peasant!
Check upstairs!
OORAH!
MOVE MOVE MOVE!!! :moil::nhl_checking::ph34r::butcher::triniti::dirol:

.......ALL CLEAR!......

All Clear!?
Yes, All Clear!

Good job men!

Uhh... We hope that all of our firearms didn't scare your kids too much....here's some milk....all better now?
:triniti: :dirol:

Ummmmm...yes? :unsure: :fie: :blink::bad:

My dad was in the military later a federal agent so I grew up with a healthy respect for those in law enforcement. But what I see today concerns me greatly and leads me to believe we're just one "catastrophe" away from becoming a police state. Read the story about the Aurora, CO police department detaining 40 people while looking for a bank robbery suspect. Chief defends detaining 40 during Aurora bank robber hunt ? Aurora Sentinel One news website showed a picture of an officer pointing his riot gun at a 15 year old kid and most of the detainees were handcuffed and made to sit on the curb for 2 hours. Can you image what what might have occurred if the cops had discovered your legally carried firearm during this incident?

Our nation was founded on the understanding that personal liberty is paramount to a free society must be protected, hence the 4th amendment. Thomas Jefferson said "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty."

In order to exercise liberty and to live as free people we was must allow the possibility that dangerous, unsafe and even bad things might occur. The best that we can do is teach our children well, be aware, be prepared and plan for the worst because we live in an evil world where evil people commit evil acts.

I have not given up my right to defend myself or my family to the government or anyone else. I haven't given up my rights to be secure in my persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures. It seems many in our nation believe that bad things shouldn't happen so we must give up a little liberty in order to feel safe. If we continue on this course we will no longer be free. I agree with Thomas Jefferson who said his preference is for "dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."

I don't live in the city. (Thank you God!) :smile:

But, I would probably let authorities search my barns & outbuildings. My home would be secure and they would most likely be convinced of that when they approached my door and saw my pit bulls threatening to come through the windows. If that didn't convince them that there wasn't any need to search inside my home, I'd politely tell them go on down the road; unless they had a warrant.

-

I never saw that happen...and I watched the search on live tv like everyone else.

Maybe you should watch the dozens of cell phone videos that are now making there way to you tube.
There are quite a few who were upset over the unwarranted intrusion into their homes.
This was not a "hey, can we take a quick peek in your house?" search.
People were treated as criminals as they were shouted at by police to get out of the house.
Some are heard to say things about the searches that I can't repeat here (I'd be banned for such language).
So much for the BS that it was welcomed by the community!
This was a fascist, over the top violation of Constitutional Rights on a massive scale.

Maybe you should watch the dozens of cell phone videos that are now making there way to you tube.
There are quite a few who were upset over the unwarranted intrusion into their homes.
This was not a "hey, can we take a quick peek in your house?" search.
People were treated as criminals as they were shouted at by police to get out of the house.
Some are heard to say things about the searches that I can't repeat here (I'd be banned for such language).
So much for the BS that it was welcomed by the community!
This was a fascist, over the top violation of Constitutional Rights on a massive scale.

Damn. Release the terrorist. We need a do over huh?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back