Man open carries long gun in Gulfport, MS. Wal Mart

73z28454

Link Removed So what do you guys and gals think? Was he pushing the open carry law a bit too far or not?

who is anyone to say if he is going too far? I personally am not a fan of OC, however if it is legal then anyone is free to do as they please

Open carry of a long gun is merely a "look at me, look at my gun" stunt.
Same thing has been, and still is, said about openly carrying a holstered pistol.

General comment follows:

It is the right to bear arms.... not the privilege to only bear the kinds of arms other people consider "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable".

The whole anti gun thing is based on the idea that someone (usually preferably the one complaining) should be in charge of deciding how, what, when, where, why, and by whom, the exercising of the right to bear arms is "reasonable", appropriate", and "acceptable".

So what would have happened when he chambered the round and someone saw that as an aggressive move of an armed robber, and opened fire on him?
At what point does one perceive a lethal threat? Do you wait until the gun is pointed at someone? Do you wait for the first shot? I realize that other factors can be involved.
I assume the OC'ers here carry with a round in the chamber before they walk out of the house. I do not see chambering a round in public, other then at the range or hunting. That could also include retrieving an empty gun from the trunk in those states requiring leaving an unloaded gun in a locked vehicle before entering certain areas.

There are safer more obvious ways to make an open carry political demonstration.

Mississippi code:

§ 97-37-19. Deadly weapons; exhibiting in threatening manner

If any person, having or carrying any dirk, dirk-knife, sword, sword-cane, or any deadly weapon, or other weapon the carrying of which concealed is prohibited by Section 97-37-1, shall, in the presence of another person, brandish or wield the same in a threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, or shall in any manner unlawfully use the same in any fight or quarrel, the person so offending, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined in a sum not exceeding Five Hundred Dollars ($ 500.00) or be imprisoned in the county jail not exceeding three (3) months, or both. In prosecutions under this section it shall not be necessary for the affidavit or indictment to aver, nor for the state to prove on the trial, that any gun, pistol, or other firearm was charged, loaded, or in condition to be discharged.

HISTORY: SOURCES: Codes, Hutchinson's 1848, ch. 64, art. 9(9); 1857, ch. 64, art. 56; 1871, § 2699; 1880, § 2804; 1892, § 1031; 1906, § 1110; Hemingway's 1917, § 836; 1930, § 860; 1942, § 2086; Laws, 2013, ch. 308, § 3, eff from and after July 1, 2013.

Seems to me that the act of loading the weapon inside the store would fall under this statute. But, since the police did not charge him, I guess I would be wrong. Someone carrying a slung rifle or shotgun over the shoulder...fine with me - even a scary AK-47 with a 30-round magazine inserted. Someone takes the action of loading the gun while inside the store - I'm backing towards the door while maintaining ready to shoot them the second the gun gets pointed at someone. And I open carry every day - a handgun in a holster. Not saying anything wrong was done - but it would put me in condition orange.

Anyone chambering a round in public would have my attention for a bit. Self preservation reflex, I suppose. Always one in the pipe for me. That's it.

Mississippi code:

Seems to me that the act of loading the weapon inside the store would fall under this statute. But, since the police did not charge him, I guess I would be wrong. Someone carrying a slung rifle or shotgun over the shoulder...fine with me - even a scary AK-47 with a 30-round magazine inserted. Someone takes the action of loading the gun while inside the store - I'm backing towards the door while maintaining ready to shoot them the second the gun gets pointed at someone. And I open carry every day - a handgun in a holster. Not saying anything wrong was done - but it would put me in condition orange.

Handgun or long gun, the act of chambering a round would be an indication that they person is preparing to shoot.

I carry chambered but the round is chambered before I even holster the gun while at home. Long gun or hand gun, if I see anyone chambering a round, my spider senses are going to be set on high alert, and will make every effort to vacate the area.

The long gun, look at me, tactic is harmful the open carry and 2nd amendment right movement. Look what happened in Texas. Backfired in many instances. But, I have to agree, it's his right. Chambering in public? I think that's simply stupid.

The long gun, look at me, tactic is harmful the open carry and 2nd amendment right movement. Look what happened in Texas. Backfired in many instances. But, I have to agree, it's his right. Chambering in public? I think that's simply stupid.
100% bullcrap and ONLY YOUR PERSONAL BIAS, not a solitary word of fact in the entire statement....

In Texas it got them OC of handguns. It didnt backfire, it worked like a charm.

The long gun, look at me, tactic is harmful the open carry and 2nd amendment right movement. Look what happened in Texas.

Yeah, Texas got open carry only because people carrying long guns brought attention to the ridiculous former law that allowed OC of long guns, but denied OC of handguns.

Backfired in many instances.

How on Earth can you call it "backfired" when the OC long-gunners won? Because Chipotle and Target and some other corporations made some decisions about guns on/in their private properties? The long gun demonstrations were a political move, not an accessory to go out shopping, and politically-speaking, the long-gunners won, the Mommies and Bloomberg lost, and the leftists and RINO anti-gunners lost too.

Even at The Truth About Guns website, a site that spewed the same anti-2nd-Amendment nonsense regarding OC of long guns as you do here for months preceding passage of the new law, as of just eight days ago they gave all credit to the long-gunners for the political victory with a piece entitled, "How Open Carry Activists Won in Texas." From the piece:

It was the open carry of rifles that forced the politicians to act. Not by itself. But the carry was strong, symbolic, political, speech, an act that was the seed that grew into an army of activists. It was common for open carry marchers to be cheered by members of the public who saw them as a force standing for the Constitution. Their reach increased geometrically with YouTube videos and Facebook pages.

Those would be the same YouTube videos and pictures stolen off of FaceBook by the Mommies and Bloomberg for their own jaded agenda purposes that you saw and came to much the same conclusions about!

What will it take for so-called 2A "supporters" to acknowledge that a win for OC in Texas is one less battle that has to be fought in the few states left that disallow it altogether? Whether or not an individual carrier prefers CC over OC, why do the CC'er-elitists continue to talk OC down, whether it be OC of handguns or long-guns? At least if you're going to do it, get your facts straight. "Look what happened in Texas - They WON!!!" should be the message, not the erroneous anti-gun propaganda that any part of their efforts "backfired."

Jeesh.

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back