Mall Carry (in MA)

ARV

I know the topic of carry in malls has been brought up before, but after doing a search of the site, I wasn’t able to find anything specific enough to satisfy my curiosity. I stopping by the mall today to pick up a gift for a friend, and as I walked into a back entrance, there is a sign there that has a list of things not allowed in the mall. The "NO FIREARMS" with the obligatory picture of a handgun with a line through it was about 3x the size of everything else. Unsure of the laws here in Mass I secured my firearm in the car and went about my business. Yes I know some people will say "take your money elsewhere", but as I said, it was a gift, and I had to go to Babies-R-Us to get a gift card for a friend that just had a baby, because that’s what she said she wanted. Now the part that confuses me. I left the store with my purchase, and the door with he sign was a mall door, not one directly to the store itself. I then deiced I needed a card, so I drove around to Hallmark and went through the biggest entrance in the mall. No sign anywhere in sight (and believe me I looked everywhere) saying no firearms. No posting of any kind. I realize with it being private property, if asked to leave, it’s wise to do so, and without complaint. Is there anyone that knows if there is any law on the books in Mass that prohibits it outright, or makes it a crime to carry into a place like a mall that’s posted? And if there is any issue with a posted place, what if as in this instance, it is NOT posted at the door I choose to enter by? The sign I saw today was the one and only I have ever seen at this mall and I have entered through all their entrances.

ARV, what mall is this? I too am from MA. Ive been carrying for a year and haven't seen ANY signs any place other than the post office.

ps I dont know the law about the sign

The Holyoke Mall. The sign in only on the door by "Babies-R-Us". Its a mall entrance that opens directly across from the store entrance, and into a hallway that runs along the outside of the store into the mall itself. None of the other doors have any signs on them.

Personally, if i get to a door that does not have a no weapons sign, my gun is going in with me.

I work at a hostpital and there are two main entrances and an abundance of other side entrances and the emergency department entrance. Out of all the possible entry points there is only one main entrance that actually had a no weapons sign.

Now if i were to enter into the main entrance that does not have a sign, then my gun is going in with me. Its the property groups fault for not posting it on all entrances.

Mall CC

I live in MA and whenever I do go into a mall I will usually be carrying. I have not seen anything to indicate that it is not allowed. I agree with the other poster that if the mall management is only going to post on one door and not the others, then go in the others and you will be aok. I could be an old policy from a past management that the signs were never all taken down or even a new policy that was in the process of being implimented. You did your best when you looked for the signs and there were none. A person can't be expected to check every doorway.

I cant tell if the sign is old or not, its one of those plastic ones on the inside of the window that isnt exposed to anything that would really damage it. The only thing I can think of is maybe the Mall considers it to be the store entrance more so a mall entrance, so maybe its a store policy? Theres nothing posted at the store entrance 15 feet inside that door thought. Either way, I think from now on I'm going to carry inside. I have before, and I always use one of the main entrances. That day was kind of a one time deal, because I wanted to go directly to that one store.

We have the same issues with our mall (Knoxvill,TN.) the main enterance has a sign . All the other doors don't! So we enter thur the other doors with out a sign! The way I see it if we aren't actually entering the "MALL" but a certain store from the outside,,I'm not doing anything wrong!!
If they want NO WEAPONS at all then they need to post on ALL THE DOORS!!
Then my money & business will go else where,,,

I'm not sure about the specific state laws of the states mentioned here but in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, these signs have no legal weight! When we encounter these signs in places that are NOT federally protected, such as the Post Office is, we just walk on in as we are concealed carrying and if they don't know, there can be no issue. As for open carry, that could be a different issue.

I'm becoming less and less concerned with MA laws. The gangstas are shooting up the place in Dorchester every week, and I missed out on the Tax Free weekend to buy my new AR because the state can't comply with their own laws and renew our licenses on time. I just go to other states to buy stuff and let MA miss out on their taxes ALL together. The more I travel this great land of ours the more I realize what a communist state I was born and raised in. :angry:

OldOwl,

I had to go out and do a little bit of research here and it seems that the best possible thing for you to do is apply for the Class A LTC. That way you can not only concealed carry but you can carry all large capacity handguns, rifles, & shotguns as well.

I'm becoming less and less concerned with MA laws. The gangstas are shooting up the place in Dorchester every week, and I missed out on the Tax Free weekend to buy my new AR because the state can't comply with their own laws and renew our licenses on time. I just go to other states to buy stuff and let MA miss out on their taxes ALL together. The more I travel this great land of ours the more I realize what a communist state I was born and raised in. :angry:

Last night at 2200 I completed a trip with one of my best friends. She is in the Navy and was stationed in San Diego. It was a great trip, flew into LA, was picked up, and spent a few days in SD. After that we went to Yosemite, through Death Valley, over to Las Vagas (girls never plaied blach jack in her life, she won $200...I lost $300, life isnt fair haha but i guess it pays to be a beautiful woman in Vagas and not an ungly man like myself :biggrin:) After that we went over Hoover Dam, to the Grand Canyon, then north to the Tetons and Yellowstone, before hitting I-90 back to Mass. I thought and though about bringing my gun, checking it on my bag for the flight, and keeping it locked up in the trunk for any state i didnt have reciprocity with for all my licenses, but decided that flying into Cali with a gun, and staying there for the better part of a week was not a good idea. I felt naked the entire time. But i digress, as to the quote above, i had a great time, and seeing parts of the country that i have never been to, i was amazed at the things i saw. "Las Vegas Pawn, WE BUY AND SELL GUNS" "Guns Bought and Sold" etc all across the country. I never see those thiings here at home. and if they are posted, its not on a billboard on the highway! I think Im in love. I had an affair with the rest of the states, and I dont fel sorry for cheating on Mass. my only regret is not having another $1000 and and a few signed FFL copies so I could make some purchases, the deals i saw at times made me want to break down and cry compared to Mass. :sad:

As far as I know about carrying anywhere, if they want no Firearms inside their building, it must be posted on all enterences, not just 1 or 2, has to be on All enterences. You would have been fine to carry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back