Long Term Ammo Storage

... If there's a way to put someone on IGNORE at this forum, I'd recommend it in this case. I'm considering it ...
They're going to love you here ...

Link Removed

Up toward the top left of you screen is USER CP. Click on it and scroll down until you see on the left the place to click on ignore.

To the contrary about iceman, I see his comments as humorous and somewhat cynical. If you think about it, he is not condescending just simply pointing out the not so obvious. I know nothing about the iceman but my perceptions are that he has severed his country and I am grateful for all those who have.

Iceman,
I think you are absolutely right about not exposing intimate details over the internet, just like Face book. People here need to understand that there are people out there willing and ready to hurt us. Our imperial government may storm in one day when the timing is right. I am not paranoid or am I a conspirers but I do believe it is possible that our government in today’s world is capable of violating our freedoms. As for the Bamster I am on the fence post teetering, I think our government schools have indoctrinated our younger generation to the statist mentality, collective thinking, the individual is not acceptable in our society. It could go either way, another 4 years will certainly destroy the greatest place in the world.
You have some good points there wooddoc.
Public Schools? don't get me started. I wish I had the money back then to put my kids in private schools.
You are correct about the Gov-ment. The way WE THE PEOPLE control the politicians is with our vote.
I hope the republicans can find a good canidate for 2012.

I think that we can all agree that the real problem here is Festus.

His ridiculous obsession with "facts" and "truth" are really just bringing us all down, right? I mean, have you ever paid attention to his news posts? Some of the stuff he finds is weeks, or even MONTHS, ahead of the curve. If we were meant to know this stuff that early, the main stream media would have let us know, right?
:fie:

Also, have you noticed his silly habit of supporting his points with outside sources? I mean sources that are even outside this forum! Most of the rest of us don't bother with that kind of stuff. Me, especially! I mean, reality is what you make it, right? If IceMan says something is a certain way, then that is the way it should be. I mean, he is from MINNEAPOLIS, for heavens sake. He doesn't bother representing his statements as opinions, he states them as foregone statements of fact. Very masculine, if you ask me.
:no:

I mean, let's compare the two:

If you listen to Festus, by now you should have a decent handle on the current political climate; a reasonable cache of ammunition, some spread out in those 5 gallon cache buckets he taught us about; a reasonable supply of emergency food that will allow us to continue feeding our families if and when disaster strikes; and familiarity with the news sources and resources that we will need if the zombie apocalypse occurs.

BUMMER!

If you listen to IceMan, by now you should realize that most of the idiots on this forum have nothing of value to share with others, and the only reason for posting is to misstate facts and to insult and provoke others; you will have one box of reserve ammo, because anything more is fear mongering and hoarding; you will share any extra food that you have with anyone who asks (hey, the wife and kids are looking a little chunky lately, anyway); you will ignore the devastation that is being wreaked upon our Republic, because to address it is totally uncool.

AWESOME!

I think that it is pretty clear that Festus needs to just take his fingers off the keyboard, because he is using up precious bandwidth that IceMan and Cocked_been_Blocked could use to really tell us how it is.
:pleasantry:

By the way, Festus, about that 5 gallon cache bucket......

Boomboy, maybe you should start another thread in my honor. So far at least two have been started.
You crack me up.
:to_pick_ones_nose:

To the contrary about iceman, I see his comments as humorous and somewhat cynical. If you think about it, he is not condescending just simply pointing out the not so obvious. I know nothing about the iceman but my perceptions are that he has severed his country and I am grateful for all those who have.

I'm new here, but am on a number of other gun forums and there are one or two arrogant, self absorbed types like him on each of them...one learns to just chuckle at their antics. I have to ask though....from what precisely did he sever his country? :biggrin:

As far as the original subject, I hear there are a couple of very good ways to store ammo. First of all, there are surplus ammo cans...some folks like the ones that originally held 1000 .50 cals. Coincidentally, they hold 1000 rounds of 9MM in original 50 round boxes...with room to sprinkle in some rice to fill the cracks (rice is an excellent dessicant and very easy to obtain). The other way is the vacuum sealer as mentioned by another poster...with those, I have heard it is a good idea (but probably actually overkill) to also throw just a few grains of rice in before sealing just to be safe.

Peace...

I'm new here, but am on a number of other gun forums and there are one or two arrogant, self absorbed types like him on each of them...one learns to just chuckle at their antics. I have to ask though....from what precisely did he sever his country? :biggrin:

As far as the original subject, I hear there are a couple of very good ways to store ammo. First of all, there are surplus ammo cans...some folks like the ones that originally held 1000 .50 cals. Coincidentally, they hold 1000 rounds of 9MM in original 50 round boxes...with room to sprinkle in some rice to fill the cracks (rice is an excellent dessicant and very easy to obtain). The other way is the vacuum sealer as mentioned by another poster...with those, I have heard it is a good idea (but probably actually overkill) to also throw just a few grains of rice in before sealing just to be safe.

Peace...

Good info about the rice. Dr. Ice has a sence of humor don't take it soooooo serious.

Hi. I'm a new member. I just read (and skimmed a little of) this thread, and I have a question and a comment. The first involves ammo storage. I am aware of techniques to properly store ammo for preservation, but I'm less informed about safety measures. In long guns, I shoot mainly .308/7.62x51. When the surplus situation tightened down-thank you, U.N.-I bought a fair amount of top quality surplus ammo. My plan for long term storage went like this. I took it out of the cases, removed it from the cardboard boxes, and stored it loose in military ammo cans with desiccants. The majority of these ammo cans went into a large, heavy steel box, although it wasn't big enough for all the ammo cans. The box has a locking top and numerous holes to prevent a sealed explosive atmosphere in case of a fire. The big box also keeps shrapnel from flying around when the ammo cooks off and the pieces seperate. By rough count, each ammo can has about 1000 rounds, and there are 16 cans in the box. I'm now looking for a second box for the rest of the surplus, match rifle ammo, a somewhat excessive amount of pistol ammo, and a fair amount of shotgun rounds. Is this adequate storage in case of a fire? My main concern is the safety of any firemen who show up to put out the fire.

My second comment has to do with hoarding. I have say that I was looking at the ammo as an investment, as well as fun stuff. I was able to buy first class surplus for 15-25% of what it's selling for now. I bought Lake City, Radway Green, Hirtenberger, Australian, etc, all bright and shiny. I lucked into a 1k round case of Black Hills 175 grain moly match for $0.22 a round, and a ton of Gold Medal and Black Hills 168 grain for thirty cents a round. Even with ammo being more available, the prices are never going back to what they were. I have frequent offers from friends to "help" me with my overstock. I'm not a SHTF type of guy, but I'll probably keep it. It's too much fun to shoot! I really don't see a world full of zombies, but my investment in precious metals isn't on paper, but rather in a safe deposit box close by. Is it hoarding or investing?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back