Long Term Ammo Storage

lmh3963

Hi everyone, I just joined. I am going to be storing 1000 rounds of 40 cal ball, 40 cal hollow, 9mm ball and 9mm hollow, and 1000 12 gauge 00. I'll be storing in ammo cans, although should the rounds be stored in the factory boxes or not; it just seems that not being in boxes may save on space. what do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.

Hi everyone, I just joined. I am going to be storing 1000 rounds of 40 cal ball, 40 cal hollow, 9mm ball and 9mm hollow, and 1000 12 gauge 00. I'll be storing in ammo cans, although should the rounds be stored in the factory boxes or not; it just seems that not being in boxes may save on space. what do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE
]It is people like you hording all the ammo, is the reason nobody can find any ammo to go target shooting.
Regarding your post, keep them in the factory boxes. They will store in smaller space and neatly.
If you want to try put 1000 rounds in boxes in the can. Then open the boxes and put in the can. You will see for yourself.

Besides maybe some of your friends, or family might want some, of your horded ammo, and you can just hand them a box, or 10.

If you take the ammo out of the factory boxes you will save a lot of space. I can store 1000 rnds of loose reloads in an ammo can where I only have room for 300 rnds that are still in their factory boxes (.45 ACP WWB).

If you decide to go this route, I would suggest that you use zip-lock bags to keep the ammo in 50 or 100 count packages. That way you will still save the space while keeping the ammo in manageable quantity packages. I would also suggest tearing off the end of the box and keeping it in the zip-lock bag so that there is no question of what you have after a long period of storage. And don’t forget some sort of desiccant to keep the moisture to a minimum.

Personally, I go back and forth on this. I have some ammo that I have put in zip-lock bags and some that I still have in their factory boxes ( of course, I still have empty ammo cans so space is not an issue for me right now).

Hi everyone, I just joined. I am going to be storing 1000 rounds of 40 cal ball, 40 cal hollow, 9mm ball and 9mm hollow, and 1000 12 gauge 00. I'll be storing in ammo cans, although should the rounds be stored in the factory boxes or not; it just seems that not being in boxes may save on space. what do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.

LMH, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting the question.. please take TheIceMan with a grain of salt, these are common of his postings and I think you will find the rest of us here much more friendly :)

I mostly agree with TCOTARIU... removing the ammo and storing it loose will save you lots of room..I also keep some in the box in the safe...regaring the plastic bag idea, I haven't personally done it, but I woudl think it might help trap moisture if some snuck in..maybe someone else can chime in that has stored ammo that way. Either way, the dessicant packets are a very good idea for true long-term storage.

Once again, welcome, and please continue posting :pleasantry:

Welcome to the forum. I keep my reloads in surplus ammo cans. The zip lock plastic bag idea I use for my brass before reloading. If your ammo cans have a seal around the lid you should be good. I lube the seal to make sure it stays pliable and I tape a desiccant to the inside lid to catch any moisture that may be lingering around. Don’t know for how long it would last but if you keep them sealed and only open when needed you should be good to go. You can store a lot more in the cans if removed from the factory boxes. I can get about 1100 .40 in mine. They are rather small but at 3.00 a pop they are cheap. :laugh:

You bought the ammo; it is yours.

First, LMH, that ammunition is fairly paid for and is your property; you do with it as you see fit (except send it downrange toward me!).

Second, anyone who is NOT squirreling away a few rounds here and there (you know, for a rainy day:wink:) has got to be one short sighted imbecile.

Finally, I have had fantastic luck using a vacuum sealer for ammunition storage. You can cut the bags to fit any container you wish, stack or layer the cartridges as you want, and when you vacuum seal the bag, it will hold those cartridges together in a solid brick. I have stored them this way for many, many years. I recently went home to Tennessee (family farm was totally submerged, but no one was hurt) and found that one of my buried cach..... uh, I mean...... one of the packs of ammo that I had stored in an underground storage facility had been submerged under feet of water for some time. The box that I had stored the ammo and other assorted items in had failed, and much of what I had was compromised. All of the ammunition, however, was bright and shiny as the day I packed it. I took it out the next day and ran through a couple of hundred rounds with nary a problem.

I have found that a vacuum sealer is one of the best investments I have ever made. YMMV.

wHAT IS WRONG WITH STOCKING UP?

Hi everyone, I just joined. I am going to be storing 1000 rounds of 40 cal ball, 40 cal hollow, 9mm ball and 9mm hollow, and 1000 12 gauge 00. I'll be storing in ammo cans, although should the rounds be stored in the factory boxes or not; it just seems that not being in boxes may save on space. what do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE
]It is people like you hording all the ammo, is the reason nobody can find any ammo to go target shooting.
Regarding your post, keep them in the factory boxes. They will store in smaller space and neatly.
If you want to try put 1000 rounds in boxes in the can. Then open the boxes and put in the can. You will see for yourself.

Besides maybe some of your friends, or family might want some, of your horded ammo, and you can just hand them a box, or 10.

What is wrong with stocking up? It is not an unreasonable ammount. You can burn up that much ammo in a weekend of match shooting during a competition.

I think you are trying to disuade people from being prepared. The reason that you can not find ammo is because now more than ever AMERICANS are exercising the right to keep and bear arms. There are more legal gun owners than ever before. People are scared. They know things are getting bad. Many are buying a gun now before the ability to goes away with the stroke of a pen.

I personally believe your views on hoarding ammo are unrealistic. You are upset that you did not get what you think you need before availability went south.

Stop berating others for being prudent. You may need some friends who have ammo in the coming years.

Thanks for input

There has been an ammo shortage down here in the South as well, so to anyone frustrated, I "get" the frustration. Although I think it's a necessity to have ammo stored up; not only for defense puposes, but for bartering opportunites as well. In the event that I am faced with any of those scenarios, I'll be ready. Plus, It's not that much ammo.

Thanks to everyone that threw in their two senses. I really appreciate the welcome and comments, have a nice Sunday.

There are members of this forum who seem to believe 'reasonable' gun control is acceptable and nobody needs semi-automatic firearms or a large amount of ammunition. I'm sure, if pressed, they'd be comfortable with all guns being unloaded and locked away at all times lest somebody actually have the means to protect life or property -- especially property ...

Ignore them.

If you have the money to buy ammo, buy all you want and can afford. It's your money and you can spend it as you please. Ammunition is not a limited resource, the factories are making it every day. Enjoy your time shooting, and relish the comfort having too much ammunition can provide.
There has been an ammo shortage down here in the South as well, so to anyone frustrated, I "get" the frustration. Although I think it's a necessity to have ammo stored up; not only for defense puposes, but for bartering opportunites as well. In the event that I am faced with any of those scenarios, I'll be ready. Plus, It's not that much ammo.

Thanks to everyone that threw in their two senses. I really appreciate the welcome and comments, have a nice Sunday.

Hey Ice-Baby ... we've got another machine gun shoot here in Vegas in a few weeks -- want to come out and meet some free people?

I would suggest you start getting into reload then would can really start hording. Keep in the original boxes. If you get into reloading you will want to segregate the differant brass.

What is wrong with stocking up? It is not an unreasonable ammount. You can burn up that much ammo in a weekend of match shooting during a competition.

I think you are trying to disuade people from being prepared. The reason that you can not find ammo is because now more than ever AMERICANS are exercising the right to keep and bear arms. There are more legal gun owners than ever before. People are scared. They know things are getting bad. Many are buying a gun now before the ability to goes away with the stroke of a pen.

I personally believe your views on hoarding ammo are unrealistic. You are upset that you did not get what you think you need before availability went south.

Stop berating others for being prudent. You may need some friends who have ammo in the coming years.
What a load of crap.
Oh yeah, people are scared. Scared of what? Might be cause of all the F.U.D. published. Festus, You know what I am talking about.
Noboby is going to take the firearms, or ammo away. Not right now. The dems have to much on their plate.
If Obama gets re-elected, then look for serious gun control on a federal level.
The ammo shortage is caused by people who are hording ammo. It drives up the price.
I am not upset about anything. I have all the ammo I need/want.
If you hord 10,000 plus rounds of ammo, what you going to do if you have to bug out?
One ammo box of SHTF ammo is all I need. Most of it is shotgun rounds.
It is because of all the FUD, is the reason people are getting scared.
Thanks for hurting instead of helping the situation festus.

How exactly am I hurting the situation???

What a load of crap.
Oh yeah, people are scared. Scared of what? Might be cause of all the F.U.D. published. Festus, You know what I am talking about.
Noboby is going to take the firearms, or ammo away. Not right now. The dems have to much on their plate.
If Obama gets re-elected, then look for serious gun control on a federal level.
The ammo shortage is caused by people who are hording ammo. It drives up the price.
I am not upset about anything. I have all the ammo I need/want.
If you hord 10,000 plus rounds of ammo, what you going to do if you have to bug out?
One ammo box of SHTF ammo is all I need. Most of it is shotgun rounds.
It is because of all the FUD, is the reason people are getting scared.
Thanks for hurting instead of helping the situation festus.

How exactly am i hurting the situation???

The posts I put up are news articles with credit given unless otherwise noted. Just because people are scared it is not my fault. MAYBE if this administration was transparent as promised during elections, people would be at ease. MAYBE if spending was not out of control people would be at ease. MAYBE if Govt' were accountable for it's actions...people would be at ease.

UNTIL THEN...BUY ALL THE AMMO YOU CAN. IT IS A PRECIOUS METAL THAT WILL ONLY GO UP IN VALUE. IT BOLSTERS THE ECONOMY. IT ALSO TERRIFIES THE GOVT'. THESE 3 REASONS ALONE ARE ENOUGH TO AKE ME WANT ALL I CAN GET AND THEN SOME.

UNTIL THEN...BUY ALL THE AMMO YOU CAN. IT IS A PRECIOUS METAL THAT WILL ONLY GO UP IN VALUE. IT BOLSTERS THE ECONOMY. IT ALSO TERRIFIES THE GOVT'. THESE 3 REASONS ALONE ARE ENOUGH TO AKE ME WANT ALL I CAN GET AND THEN SOME.

Right on Brother!! I maintain many thousands of brass, lead and primers, I consider it as an investment, better then money in the bank. Thirty four years ago I was paying $3.35 for a thousand large pistol primers. What other fun sport can you engage in and have it be an asset? :biggrin:

Right on Brother!! I maintain many thousands of brass, lead and primers, I consider it as an investment, better then money in the bank. Thirty four years ago I was paying $3.35 for a thousand large pistol primers. What other fun sport can you engage in and have it be an asset? :biggrin:
If it is such a great investment, how come most of the price of ammo has went down?
The ammo makers, and the retailers were making a killing.
Now, my ATK as dropped 15%. S&W down 20%.

The hoarding must be leveling out.

Maybe we are running out of F.U.D.?

Iceman, you are in correct stating that the cost of ammo has gone down, all the manufactures have gotten on the band wagon which increased competition and lowered the price. I am looking at it from a reloading stand point. My model 29 nickel plated thirty years ago sold for 325.00 I could not replace it for that today. Respectfully, in a free market, I am not sure what your definition of hoarding is. Who determines your needs? If the supplier limits 5000 primes per order, I am ok with that. If your neighbor is a millionaire will you also call that hoarding? Please no Webster definition. If you have a years worth of food in your cellar and your neighbor doesn’t would that be considered hoarding? Taking responsibly as an individual seems to be on the way out (It take a village to raise a child)

I don’t think the so call hoarding has slowed down at all; the manufactures are able to keep up.
I think the term hoarding comes from those with wealth envy. Iceman, you are too smart for that.

Iceman, you are in correct stating that the cost of ammo has gone down, all the manufactures have gotten on the band wagon which increased competition and lowered the price. I am looking at it from a reloading stand point. My model 29 nickel plated thirty years ago sold for 325.00 I could not replace it for that today. Respectfully, in a free market, I am not sure what your definition of hoarding is. Who determines your needs? If the supplier limits 5000 primes per order, I am ok with that. If your neighbor is a millionaire will you also call that hoarding? Please no Webster definition. If you have a years worth of food in your cellar and your neighbor doesn’t would that be considered hoarding? Taking responsibly as an individual seems to be on the way out (It take a village to raise a child)

I don’t think the so call hoarding has slowed down at all; the manufactures are able to keep up.
I think the term hoarding comes from those with wealth envy. Iceman, you are too smart for that.
wooddoctor, I am open to using another word to explain this behavior.
I belive the demand has went down. That would explain the price drop.
I use the term hoarding after viewing many posters who are bragging about how many rounds of ammo they have. Some have even provided pictures. BTW, if any of you belive anything the FUD mongers are saying, do you think it is wise to brag about how much ammo you have? With pictures?

Finding reloading componets has been interesting since 10/2008. As soon as Barry was elected, people hit the panic switch.
As we are all seeing, Barry is not looking out for the american people, he is looking out for his political future, and the interests of his party. If banning all guns and ammo, would garner votes, then he would do it in a heart beat. Because of all that is going on in the world right now, the ammo and gun bans will just have to wait.

I predict after Barry is re-elected, with Billary as his VP, the banning will start. Joking Joe has gotta go.

Didn't we see the same kind of selfish conduct with Dubya, Slick willy, and Bush I?

That model 29, is a classic. Wish I owned one. Had a chance to buy one in 1979 for a great price. Turned it down, and bought groceries instead.

Regarding food, I will share mine with anyone who is hungry.

I never paid attention to Hillary, and it takes a village.

Bill was very entertaining, with the fat intern.

While Al Gore was trying to save the spotted owl, Bill Clinton was trying to hide the white owl.:girl_wink:

Don't feed the trolls. You can not argue with them because they do not comprehend. don't worry about what they think. Stocking up is the prudent thing to do.

Iceman,
I think you are absolutely right about not exposing intimate details over the internet, just like Face book. People here need to understand that there are people out there willing and ready to hurt us. Our imperial government may storm in one day when the timing is right. I am not paranoid or am I a conspirers but I do believe it is possible that our government in today’s world is capable of violating our freedoms. As for the Bamster I am on the fence post teetering, I think our government schools have indoctrinated our younger generation to the statist mentality, collective thinking, the individual is not acceptable in our society. It could go either way, another 4 years will certainly destroy the greatest place in the world.

First off, what the frak is a "FUD"?

How exactly am i hurting the situation???

>SNIPPERS!<
festus - I'm still relatively new here, but from what I've seen thus far, you aren't hurting the forums much at all. Your posts tend to be rational, respectful - if not outright friendly - and thought provoking. Even when I've ready some of your posts where you're not entirely friendly, you still tend to be more in a mode for discussion than just outright disrespecting the opinions of others.

iceman's, on the other hand, tend to be inflaming, trolling and just ouright argumentative w/o providing much substance beyond reactionary attitude.

Just sayin'....

If there's a way to put someone on IGNORE at this forum, I'd recommend it in this case. I'm considering it.

I'll definitely go w/the first two, but sorta laugh at the last reason. Sorry, a couple of people w/a few thousand rounds of ammo isn't going to scare the gov't much, tho a couple dozen whack-jobs in some compound w/several million rounds does. Even if you take all the Joe Average Gun Owners out there "hording" (sic) a couple thousand rounds per firearm, they still don't worry Uncle Sugar nearly so much as a coiuple groups of Survivalists or Religious Extremists do. The vast majority of legal gun owners in this country aren't out to cause trouble, just safeguard themselves against BG's. Some few might be stockpiling ammunition in the event that some sort of gov't crackdown might ensue - and that's fine if that's what they want to do.

As has been said here many times on many issues, you've got the God given Right in this country to do whatever you want so long as it doesn't encroach upon the Rights or Safety of our fellow Americans. Anything said against that from folks just comes across as sour grapes to me.

So, I'll echo festus' comment - hoard all the ammo you want! I've got almost 1,000 rounds of .40 ammo right now, as I've found a few good deals and bought it as more of a long-term cost-saving measure than anything. I might just well go out and buy another couple hundred rounds just because I can. But then again, we never know when you might want/need that much ammo, right? :wink:

When the Zombie Apocalypse descends upon us, you'll be happy that you did! :sarcastic: :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back