Lead Buildup Issues?

rrc1962

If you use lead bullets, that is non-copper coated bullets, are there lead buildup issues? I haven't been reloading because once buying copper coated bullets, the cost savings is negligible. If I buy plain lead bullets in bulk, I can save quite a bit.

As an aside...Please post your favorite online suppklier for bullets. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. I need .45, 230 grain.

Are you talking about fouling, like after shooting through a few hundred rounds?

I'm thinking plain ol' bore cleaner would suffice. Just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before eating or picking your nose after.... :to_pick_ones_nose:

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to scrub the $#@& outta your gun after every use, like the Army trained some of us to do. But to keep your baby hummin' and prevent the build up or fouling, just a quick once-over with an oiled-tooth brush (I use CLP) and some bore cleaner down the barrel with appropriate brush, followed by a patch with oil, and you should be set.

It's not etched in stone, but I have to put about 1,000 - 1,500 rounds through my gun before I go beyond the above method in cleaning - and even then I'm not going for the "IG clean" white glove BS either.

MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes

Link Removed

A couple places I've used with good fortune and good service. Not sure how prices match up without knowing who you use and what you get, but I hope this helps.

I cast my own lead bullets that way I can get them as hard as I want. Lead fouling is not too much of an issue. You can fire a few jacketed bullets through it after firing lead bullets. That will remove the trace amounts that are left in the barrel then clean it. Although normally just a bore brush with some cleaner is all you need.

Thanks guys...I was looking at these bullets at about .08 per.

Missouri Bullet Company

The poking around tonight I found this website which has FMJ for around .13 which would still put a reloaded round at about 1/3 the cost of a cheap factory round.

Link Removed

It's still hard to justify reloading 9mm when Walmart sells it so cheap, but 45ACP looks worthwhile.

You'll get some leading shooting lead but it's easy to clean. He's the trick I use for cleaning the lead foulings that work amazing. I bought a second brush and a chore boy copper scrub pad. I cut out a piece the width of the brush and wrapped it around the brush. Dip it into a little cleaning solution and run it through the barrel a few times. It'll clean it right up.

As far as cheap jacketed bullets for .45 goes, look into the brand called Zero. I think the last box of 500 I bought cost me $60 and they shoot fine. Also check out powder valley. They have some of the best prices I've seen.

Powder Valley, Inc.

Hope this helps.

All I shoot is cast bullets, and I cast them myself. I shoot 9mm, 40, and 45. Have had no leading problems yet after thousands of rounds. Simple cleaning and the bore still looks new. Copper fouling is another problem, and the only solution is Butches Bore Bright.

Hard cast bullets will help unless you are really, really pushing them fast. Then, you may be actually melting the base of the bullet as it is going down the barrel. If that's the case, you need to go to a gas checked bullet.

For normal lead build up, get a Lewis Lead Remover. It will clean normal build up out fast. Every CAS shooter that uses them swears by them (and CAS shooters MUST use only lead bullets in competition, so they shoot a lot of them).

For a heavily leaded barrel (like a S&W 1917 I bought once), the Outter's Foul Out system works wonders. I think it's up to the 4th incarnation now, but my Foul Out III cleaned the bore down to bare steel in about 3 sessions. It kinda works like electroplating- but in reverse. It draws the lead (or copper, depending on the solution you use) to the electrode you put in the barrel. It ain't cheap but you don't have to worry about scrubbing lead build up.

Ahh for the good old days when you could simply plug one end of the barrel with a wooden plug and pour a little shiny liquid mercury down the barrel, slosh it around and then pour it back out. Presto . . . a squeaky clean barrel

See, mercury would amalgamate (absorb) any remaining lead in the barrel. But then mercury along with so many other wonderful things like Carbon-tet, lighter fluid, and things that were extremely useful when used properly, oh well us old timers remember don't we?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back