Knife for everyday carry

Imagine that... opinion on which knife (gun) to get, and get as many opinions as there are posters. :smile:

The reason for this is that a knife, like a firearm is personal. It has to feel right for you. You need to be able to retrieve it, open it quickly and have the mindset (i.e. training) to use it quickly if need be.

With that said, here is how I carry. I have two CRKT folders, one in each side pocket (I always wear 5.11 tactical pants). This is the knife Link Removed

I also carry a fixed blade around my neck by CRKT: S.P.E.W. (Sm. Pocket Everyday Wharncliffe) Fixed Blade Hunting Knives | CRKT

I also have a schrader tiny pocket knife that I keep in my front pocket but that is not for defense.

Here's the logic with the two folders. If I'm in a tussle and let someone get close to me that they are trying to go for my gun, I have three options to be able to get to a knife to stab/slice at him from either hand. So if he grabs my strong hand, I can get the folder or fixed blade with my left hand. This may be overkill, but it's to the point now if I don't have my knives (or my firearm) I feel naked.

The two folders are $60/ea and the fixed blade is $45.

My EDC over a year ago. I still have the Spyderco Stretch ($78) in my carry rotation along with a Spyderco Paramilitary II. Kershaw is my second choice for knives. Other brands I would like to purchase are out of my price range.

I'd recommend you check out blade-ops (they have a really good selection, and they also ship free). My own need for a knife is multiple, I'm a kayaker that needs a folding knife that is immediately accessible for both emergency situations (don't ever want to get tangled in ropes/strainers) and camping use. The one I have also has a window breaker (in case you're driving and end up in water - doesn't show in the picture but it a steel point punch in the base of the handle). It's spring assist opening with a slide safety switch, 2.9" long blade, and they do make them SHARP! It's the knife I need for everyday use, as well as being at the ready if that were necessary, for either two or four legged adversary. I CCW a .357 Magnum, but that may not be what you need when the need is a cutting tool, so this I also carry.

Smith & Wesson Military & Police MAGIC Assist Knife, Black Combo Blade, Tan Handle, SWMP3BSDLink Removed

I carry a Kershaw with assisted opening. It is very small and inconspicuous so it goes well with business attire.

I carry a leatherman kick. And usually two folders on me daily. Just picked up a schrade sch302 that is in my strong hand front pocket . Have a ganzo (Chinese bench made knockoff) in my weak hand pocket. Haven't had either knife for a great deal of time but for the money if say they are great purchases. Spent a little over 40 for both on amazon.

Sent from my XT907 using USA Carry mobile app

I have been want to buy a good knife to carry in my back pocket. I don't know a lot about knives. I have noticed that you can spend $10 to $210 for a knife. I don't want a cheap nice, but I don't want an expensive knife. I understand that the price goes with the type of blade the knife is made of. What else should I look at when buying a knife? I don't want to spend more than $50-$75. Are the Gerber Bear Gryls knives decent? Should I invest in a big name brand like Benchmade? Any information will be helpful.

Take a look at the Spyderco Tenacious. It's one of their cheaper knives, but it's made of good steel with good heat treatment. You can pick one up for about $33 here:
Spyderco Tenacious Plain Edge Knife - Walmart.com

As for what to look for, I'm a fan of plain edge, but some prefer a combo serrated edge. I find the serrations take up valuable edge room for the blade, and aren't used for much except cutting rope. The one plus of some serrations is that you get differential hardening with knives like Spydercos, which make the toothed edge harder and therefore able to hold a sharper edge than a plain blade. Anyway, I am an advocate of good "super-steels" like S30V, 154CM, and VG10 to name a few. They will serve you far better with proper heat treating than an olc, cheap 440 steel blade will, and are therefore, to me, worth the money.

Here's a primer of blade steels:
Knife Steel FAQ

My EDC knives are:
Victorinox Swiss Army Alox Pioneer
Benchmade 5000 auto-Presidio G10 scales/154CM blade
Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 550HG G10 scales/CPM-S30V modified sheepsfoot blade
Spyderco Para-Military 2 with G10 scales/CPM-S30V blade
Spyderco Delica4 Ti with Titanium scales/Damascus VG-10 blade
Spyderco Chaparral 2 Ti with Titanium scales/CTS-XHP blade

I have gone with Leatherman Surge for my carry knife. Straight and Serrated blades, and saw in one unit. Bought the additional tips and extension for it also. The extension and tips I found out fit perfect in a .45 magazine kydex holder. The outside blades I can open and close one handed. Really enjoy the added advantage of having pliers, never know when you are going to run into a pesky pistachio. I am also looking into an everyday flashlight, leaning towards the HDS EDC Rotary 200.

Kershaw blur, I have had it for a a couple of years has handled every task I've thrown at it. fast opening (tip up or down) fairly cheap. Great grip. I have wanted to buy a new edc knife for a while I keep saying as soon as this knife fails me. I just cant bring myself to make the switch it works so well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I carry a Ken Onion ripple from crkt. Great knife, very sharp & light 👍 !

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521 Tapatalk

Leatherman Charge TTI in leather on my right (pocket clip on it but started using the sheath to protect my pants and pocket contents), bought the bit kit but haven't used it much. CRKT Thunderbolt clipped to my opposite side pocket (I keep just keys in that pocket). No knife pro... got the CRKT off woot.com for cheap money. Little bigger than I'd expected, but I like it so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using USA Carry mobile app

I carry a camillus folder in my right front pocket and its a awsome knife. Its the titanium tactical and it beats gerber and kershaw by a long shot in ny opinion. I used to be solid gerber until i picked this baby up. Then on my belt on the left i carry a gerber multitool which is awsome. Been with me for a year it was one of the best investments that i could of made. I am a electrician by trade and it comes in handy more than one would think . Doefor me anyways. It is the mil spec gerber that has all the normal tools that a multitool would have but mine has a ar 15 punch tool and site adjustmebt tool on it whi h is awsome for field punchdowns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using USA Carry mobile app

I've got the mini version of the Gerber multitool. It's amazing how much it gets used. Makes ya wonder how you ever made it without it. It's in my pocket no matter what other knife a carry. For defense I carry a KaBar folder clipped in left pocket ( weak side) incase anyone would try and get gun from IWB right. There arm would be in bad shape

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Yeah i had that same mini tool. It came to a casualty of war during working hours. I had to upgrade. Lol. I broke one of the jaws off using it to try to loosen a bolt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back