Just stoped for open carry in ihop

SGB:281456 said:
Officer: "sir sir show me your permit now"
Citizen: "Why?"
Officer: "Because I said so"
Citizen: "Am I being detained?"
Officer: "Sow me your permit"
Citizen: "Have a nice day Officer" and leave.

It's called "Obstruction of justice". An arestable offence. Failure to comply with the orders of a Police Officer.
The charges will not stick in court. But you will still be arrested and why force it to go that far in the first place?
I.M.H.O. just show your permit. What are you actually proving by making a scene. You're not going to change anything by trying to make an ass out of the officer in public. Might find yourself facing the wrong end of a gun. You are at that point an armed suspect.

SGB:281456 said:
Officer: "sir sir show me your permit now"
Citizen: "Why?"
Officer: "Because I said so"
Citizen: "Am I being detained?"
Officer: "Sow me your permit"
Citizen: "Have a nice day Officer" and leave.

It's called "Obstruction of justice". An arestable offence. Failure to comply with the orders of a Police Officer.
The charges will not stick in court. But you will still be arrested and why force it to go that far in the first place?
I.M.H.O. just show your permit. What are you actually proving by making a scene. You're not going to change anything by trying to make an ass out of the officer in public. Might find yourself facing the wrong end of a gun. You are at that point an armed suspect.

So if I'm in my car parked perfectly legal outside the bar with no restrictions on overnight parking sleeping drunk with no keys in my possession and an officer taps on the window will I get a DUI? I am drunk, I am behind the wheel, but I have no intention of moving the vehicle, I'm in there for my own safety. No different than a holstered gun IMHO. Maybe I lack common sense , or maybe I don't like to be pushed around by someone on a power trip.

Because I refuse to trade the most basic of my rights as an American away for the sake of convenience, while at the same time sending the message to the government and every observer that our rights mean didly squat in the process of licking boots and polishing a badge.

And, as you say I.M.H.O., that is exactly how we got to where we are today.... so many folks so afraid to assert their rights that nothing is done to stop the abuses of power. And the abusers just grow more bold with their abuses.

About making an ass in public out of an officer overstepping his authority and perhaps even acting illegally by requiring him to stay within the law. Why should I allow the officer to make an ass out of ME in public? And yes, being accosted by an officer for no legal reason puts me on display to all the world as that guy with a gun being confronted by a cop.

Think about all the factors in play where an authority figure asserts his authority... incorrectly... over someone legally OC'ing and what impression that leaves onlookers with. Make no mistake, officers are very well aware that the message onlookers get is that police don't like OC and will hassle folks for it... and that many onlookers will be intimidated into not OC'ing, not exercising their right to bear arms, just so they won't be hassled.

Now consider the impression that onlookers get when the OC'er requires the officer to stay within the law and the officer is the one who ends up looking foolish. Onlookers are left with the message that OC is legal and the cops can't do anything about it. That will infuriate anti gun onlookers but will empower many others to give it a try themselves. And make no mistake.. many OC'ers are well aware of the message sent when a cop is required to stay within the law.

The questions for each of us are very simple.

Will we allow ourselves to be intimidated into not exercising the right to bear arms? Or not?

Will we stand up for our rights or will we sacrifice our rights just because it is easier and more convenient to not rock the boat?

vxcfh4.jpg

You sir are just flat out wrong. There is no obstruction of justice when the Officer has no legal authority to detain. The only one making an ass out of themselves would be the Officer.

You're not going to change anything by trying to make an ass out of the officer in public.

I think it is very sad how often an open carrier will get the blame for causing criminal actions taken by police officers. It's like saying she was asking to get raped by wearing a short skirt. Put the blame where the blame belongs. It's the officer who made an ass out of himself/herself, not the person engaging in perfectly legal behavior.

So if I'm in my car parked perfectly legal outside the bar with no restrictions on overnight parking sleeping drunk with no keys in my possession and an officer taps on the window will I get a DUI? I am drunk, I am behind the wheel, but I have no intention of moving the vehicle, I'm in there for my own safety. No different than a holstered gun IMHO. Maybe I lack common sense , or maybe I don't like to be pushed around by someone on a power trip.

Yes, you would get arrested for a DUI, IF you are in the driver's seat. I was always advised if you do this, sleep in the back seat and put the keys under the front seat.....It may not stick, but you'd get arrested. Especially if you can't explain how you got your car to that site without being drunk.

Yes, you would get arrested for a DUI, IF you are in the driver's seat. I was always advised if you do this, sleep in the back seat and put the keys under the front seat.....It may not stick, but you'd get arrested. Especially if you can't explain how you got your car to that site without being drunk.

Must be different everywhere else. Seems around where I live common sense of the officers prevails. I'm just blessed to be where I am then. They can put two and two together if my car is at the bar and I'm asleep in it with no keys. Feel bad for everyone else

I geuss this is another thread that will never die, as most of you all know the majority of LEOs are cool and follow regulations concerning concealed or open carry, but you also know that there is always going to be a smartalec, or a newbe officer that kind of lets his badge get the better or his brain, yea I know this guy was in the right, and the cop was not, but is it really that big a deal to make the cop a example, right there in the IHOP?.........over the years I and my wife have had a few situations nothing serious but a little strange, if stopped for a traffic infraction, most times the LEO simply asked where my weapon was, without makeing any threatening movements i most likely said on my belt in its holster, then he ether gave me the ticket or I got a warning or whatever never had a real issue concearning my weapon, however one time a bad car wreak happened almost right in front of me, and several other people, we mostly all got out of our cars, I was on my bike, and parked just a little way away from the wreak, 3 people were in the crash but only one lady was hurt bad and needed medical attention fast me another guy and a women were tending to this women that was hurt we didn't move her but her arm was bleeding very bad,it was broken, and she looke to be in rather extream pain, then the LEO shows up, now keep in mind with probably 40 people there looking, nobody seemed to be concerned with the Glock on my belt, it was a hot day I had a T-shirt on, anyhow the first thing this numb nuts does is ask who I am, before even lookin at the injured lady, the two others and I were trying to comfort this lady and this "officer" wants to see my permit, we all looked at one another in disbeleve, fortunatly by this time others cops and ambulance were pulling up and I knew one of the other cops that were there has asked what happened I was still standing there with my wallet out, I had not got my permit out for **** for brains yet and was talking to the cop I knew, Glock still hanging there in the wind, at this point the first guy went about doing something else, at this time I told the second cop and a sargent who showed up all that went on, the sargent shook his head, and thanked me for stopping and helping, he said most do not, I said not a problem, I suspect the first officer may have gotten talked to............

-snip-
but is it really that big a deal to make the cop a example, right there in the IHOP?-snip-
In my not so humble and likely won't be considered a "reasonable", "appropriate", or "acceptable", opinion............

You betcha right then and there is the time to firmly, politely, and with a print out of the actual laws, pull short the leash of a cop who is wrong if only to show all onlookers that the cop is wrong. That way everyone there, including the cop, learn what is legal and what is not.

Now some folks might think that standing up to a cop that is in the wrong and defending your legal rights puts gun carriers in a bad light... Well, in my opinion, NOT standing up for your legal rights sends the message that the cop was right and people DO NOT have any legal rights other than what the cop says you do. And that is NOT how it is.

I don't understand why folks are so worried about embarrassing a cop? They don't care if they embarrass us... and they don't care how much trouble and/or expense we might have to go through to straighten out a problem they caused us because... they were wrong.

Last night I open carried in a family dollar... I'm white loaded with tattoos , guess I look criminal.... Only black people point out the fact I have my 380 on me out in the open.....

In my not so humble and likely won't be considered a "reasonable", "appropriate", or "acceptable", opinion............

You betcha right then and there is the time to firmly, politely, and with a print out of the actual laws, pull short the leash of a cop who is wrong if only to show all onlookers that the cop is wrong. That way everyone there, including the cop, learn what is legal and what is not.

Now some folks might think that standing up to a cop that is in the wrong and defending your legal rights puts gun carriers in a bad light... Well, in my opinion, NOT standing up for your legal rights sends the message that the cop was right and people DO NOT have any legal rights other than what the cop says you do. And that is NOT how it is.

I don't understand why folks are so worried about embarrassing a cop? They don't care if they embarrass us... and they don't care how much trouble and/or expense we might have to go through to straighten out a problem they caused us because... they were wrong.

I didn't need a printout, the other people there, especialy the guy and women helping with the injured women, I think they though he ate to many donuts or something, a major car crash and this $%^&&*( wants to see my permit before tending to the injured people??????? what is that

I don't see this happening if the individual's car is on private property. The officer has no jurisdiction in this case. It would be the same if you were in your driveway, or garage, sitting in the driver's seat, drunk as can be. An LEO can't touch you unless you decide to drive the car on a public roadway.

Why could you not just say sure thing Officer and produce your permit without showing your attitude to law enforcement people that are only out there to protect the public. The encounter would have ended right then and there. As far as the Officer freaking out that is YOUR OPINION and everyone has one just like their rear end.
Try concealed carry and you should not have any problems even tho the law might say that you can open carry.
Bill

Open carry where you want I do it of I have a belt on for my side holster .... You won't have cop issues if you don't pay them any attention as soon as you look at them and they think your up to something they will notice... Don't argue show the ccw and be done man ... That's it.... Who cares of he is a **** most cops are but **** em ...

Why could you not just say sure thing Officer and produce your permit without showing your attitude to law enforcement people that are only out there to protect the public. The encounter would have ended right then and there. As far as the Officer freaking out that is YOUR OPINION and everyone has one just like their rear end.
Try concealed carry and you should not have any problems even tho the law might say that you can open carry.
Bill

Why should he, or anyone else, adjust their lifestyle choices aroound the whims and opinions of each LEO they might encounter? Why is it too hard or outrageous to insist that LEO follow the laws that are applicable to them?

Bill

Why can't the LEO just not overstep his lawful authority?

Was at ihop with my friends and family after about a hour or so we got up to leave. Since I was alittle over heated I need put my jacket on and right by the door was a mishawaka police officer. He didnt notice my gun at first til I got half way out the door and he freaked out and said "sir sir show me your permit now" which I replied "by law I dont have too" but wanting to leave I showed him anyway which then he teplied "when im somewhere and someone has a gun I will see it thank you"
I find it crazy how I was stopped in indiana a open carry state for open carrying my gun.

Are you even required to have a permit to OC? If so keep in mind even when your not required to show ID itself, you ARE required to identify yourself to the officer if asked. If you DO need a permit to OC, that sucks. If NOT then I would report that to the PD.

We here in backwoods and backward Oklahoma will soon have open carry, I already know our Tulsa County District Attorney Tim Harris has been highly against having open carry in Oklahoma. So I highly expect that many will be stopped if seen open carrying and checked for the needed state CCW permit one must have. Also many just plain stupid Oklahoma cops will also try to push their having the power to check for the permit. We just have to expect this type of stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back