Just received this from my landlord today

No one should ever know you have a gun on you until you have to use it. The Same goes for your closet or gun safe.

My in laws wanted me to buy a home in their gated community. I declined and bought outside of their community. Why? Because my home is my castle and no one is going to tell me how much dead grass my yard can have, what color my house can be, or where my pool or swing set can be.

Keep your guns to yourself and you'll have no problem.
However, I am sorry your having to deal with this.

Exactly, keep your ownership of firearms to yourself.

What kind of person would eat the cost and aggravation of an eviction over a legally owned firearm. Its not worth the trouble.

Please note that the flyer references violations of the handbook. OP is there any reference to firearms in the handbook?

This information may help answer the question. Indiana SB 292 prohibits a subdivision from preempting state law regarding firearms/ammunition. Go figure, pretty much like most states in the nation.
~
Link Removed
~
Synopsis: Preemption of local firearm regulation. Prohibits, with certain exceptions, a political subdivision from regulating any matter pertaining to firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories. Allows a person to file an action against a political subdivision if the person is adversely affected by an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy of the political subdivision that violates the law.
~
I don't think a housing/apartment complex would be allowed to do what a political subdivision (village, town, city, municipality) is not allowed to do under SB 292. But hey I am not an attorney.
~
Indiana Firearms Pre-Emption Law One Year Old
~
Indianapolis, IN --(Ammoland.com)- This month marks the one year anniversary of SB 292, the Indiana pre-emption law.
~
For those who may not know, that is the law that now prevents any local government in Indiana from enacting gun laws of their own. Not only does it stop them from that practice, but it removed all the laws that they had accumulated since recorded history.
~
Now citizens with a valid handgun license can carry their firearms in places they were prohibited from in the past by local political subdivisions and their vast amount of laws.
~
The fact that this law is only 1 year old may be the cause of confusion of the citizens of Indiana. They have been so used to local government restricting their 2nd Amendment rights they have just accepted it wouldn't ever change. In this case CHANGE is good.

If you pushed it, and your apt super got pissy, and it went to court, theres a much greater chance that you would be getting free rent rather hunting another apt

Howdy NavyLCDR,

A lady goes to the doctor with a pain in her side and tells the doctor, "I asked the pharmacist at the drugstore about this pain I am having." The doctor huffs and puffs and asks her, "What stupid advice could a pharmacist possibly give you?" The lady replies, "He told me to come see you."

If the OP talked to lawyer instead, wouldn't they be taking advice from a +40yo member that still lives with their Mom - YOU? Is it really necessary to include derogatory statments about other forum members in your post? Seems to me like you are the one seeking attention from mom's basement with your hissy fits.

Because several of the members that were giving advice, like BC1 for starters, are +40yo SWMs w/out kids (thank God!) that live with their Mom and have a "Command Post" in the basement.

I'm like the baseball umpire behind homeplate.......... "I ain't pitchin' or catchin', just calling it like it is."

I'm NOT making a derogatory statment. The OP was asking for advice and since several posters that were giving advice do in fact live with their Mom and have never had to deal with a landlord I was giving the OP helpful advice from the POV of someone that has dealt with a landlord before.

Paul

P.S. If you do not realize that a large number of the regular posters, especially the ones the post mainly political stuff, like Navy Seal , BC1, and a couple of others, do in fact live with their mom, well, you're pretty gullible.

P.S.S. Happy 4th of July and a big THANKS for your Service.

Howdy Rocket,

Sten, do you still live with your Mom

Not since 1981 when I was 17yo.

But I do get a kick out of all the whacky crap the nutjobs post that do live with their Mom.

Another thing that cracks me up is the fact the so many of them are "gun pros" even though they never fired a real gun and think that play "Call of Dooty" on their Mom's wii makes them experts in combat.

Paul

If you pushed it, and your apt super got pissy, and it went to court, theres a much greater chance that you would be getting free rent rather hunting another apt

And get your lawyer bills paid too. Delaware case in front of their State Supreme Court even ruled that common areas can't be required to be gun free. NRA wins court ruling against WHA

Only thing stengun got right was talk to a local lawyer.

Howdy NavyLCDR,

Because several of the members that were giving advice, like BC1 for starters, are +40yo SWMs w/out kids (thank God!) that live with their Mom and have a "Command Post" in the basement.
Ever put your foot in your mouth and get called out on it? Thank God I don't have kids? So then thank God my little guy died? Now take off your shoe and put it firmly in your mouth. BTW, unlike you the other kids are all college grads.
Live with my mom? You know how many posters know me personally? Moron, Obama-loving, no-good bastard, piece of crap. Don't ever make a remark about my deceased child again.

Attorney time: I don't think they can enforce this...I know in Government housing they try to enforce (but I think that was repealed) In privately rented property, I don't feel they can; I think your fine...But go see an Attorney to be sure.

Attorney time: I don't think they can enforce this...I know in Government housing they try to enforce (but I think that was repealed) In privately rented property, I don't feel they can; I think your fine...But go see an Attorney to be sure.
Gun bans in public housing were one of the first recent big slap-downs against gun control in Federal court. Gun bans in Chicago started circling the bowl with that one.

Might want to check your state law. Some states prohibit landlords from imposing such issue, and others might not.

Cite any state where this is allowed.

The prohibition of firearms by a landlord in the lease agreement signed by the landlord and tenant is legal in any state that does not have a law that specifically makes the firearms ban illegal.

The prohibition of firearms by a landlord in the lease agreement signed by the landlord and tenant is legal in any state that does not have a law that specifically makes the firearms ban illegal.

Understood, but some states' landlord-tenant law prohibits telling them how to live. Can't control a lot of things. Putting it in a lease isn't enough. I can't put such a provision in my leases, it's unenforceable.
In NY... "A landlord is prohibited from any action intended to force a tenant out of an apartment or to compel a tenant to give up any rights granted the tenant by law." The right to bear arms is granted by law.

Understood, but some states' landlord-tenant law prohibits telling them how to live. Can't control a lot of things. Putting it in a lease isn't enough. I can't put such a provision in my leases, it's unenforceable.
In NY... "A landlord is prohibited from any action intended to force a tenant out of an apartment or to compel a tenant to give up any rights granted the tenant by law." The right to bear arms is granted by law.

Uhmmmm, technically no, the "law" does NOT grant us the right to bear arms....(and I dont think that is exactly what you meant to say) ,but the end result is the same in this situation...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back