Iowa Open Carry

lamerem

So I'm in the grocery store the other day and I normally fix my pull over when i get out of the car(sometimes it rides up.) Anyway, I'm picking up some grapes and cantaloupe and the other staples of life. I'm at the deli counter and feel this lady and her kids starring me down like I was a criminal, lol. I look down and my G21 is completely exposed. I nonchalantly reach down and adjust my pull over as if it was second nature. I am greeted at the exit doors by 2 police officers and the store manager.

GREAT, here goes another 20 minutes of my life!

I greet them with a kind hello and the store manager lets into me. You are scarring my customers. I said I'm your customer and I'm not scarred at all. He responds with why would you carry such a thing. The cop responds with be careful your are close to violating this mans 2nd amendment rights. I said thank you! I responded with I wasn't aware your store was anti gun, I won't shop here any longer. He said, my corporate office refuses to ban guns but its my policy. Lol, to my disbelief the officer responded with that's not your call. Only the owner of the store can make that decision and it must be clearly posted. Sir we are sorry for your time, thanks for being easy going. If we can see your conceal permit as it is concealed you can be on your way!

I love cops who know there job and the law!

Since corporate didn't ban guns it might be best to have a chat about a manager going beyond their policies.

i have never ever had a problem with anyone about open or concealed carry. perhaps here in east tennessee it is more common place. i read all of these recitals and articles where there are issues with carrying in public in states that i had assumed it wouldn't be an issue and wonder what is going on. am i living in an area that is that isolated and out of the mainstream? i never thought so before but i could be wrong. wouldn't be the first time.

Cultural Bias

i have never ever had a problem with anyone about open or concealed carry. perhaps here in east tennessee it is more common place.

Here in Colorado Springs, I've never had an issue.
I OC under the age of 21, without a permit/license, as state law allows.

I grew up in IOWA and visit family often enough.
Can't wait until I can get my CCW, so I won't have to disarm when crossing into my home state.
I suspect OCing in Des Moines might get me a different reaction from here in the Springs.

open carry Iowa ?

I was not aware Iowa had an open carry law. If you were conceal carrying and your gun was showing that's why the police were called.
In most open carry states you wouldn't have to had shown you conceal carry permit..

In Nebraska conceal carry means conceal carry that would have been strike 1 and strike 2 your out
That just my opinion though.

Hmmm, to my knowledge Iowa does NOT issue a "Conceled Carry License" just a "Permit to Carry Weapons".
I believe under a new law you can OC, though only with an Iowa Permit.
Which, now that I think about it, might be for residents only?

I was not aware Iowa had an open carry law. If you were conceal carrying and your gun was showing that's why the police were called.
In most open carry states you wouldn't have to had shown you conceal carry permit..

In Nebraska conceal carry means conceal carry that would have been strike 1 and strike 2 your out
That just my opinion though.

Most open carry states do not have an open carry law. It is by default the Right way to carry in those states, and the laws make concealing illegal without a permission slip. He had to show his permission slip because he concealed it after he realized he was open carrying. Had he not concealed it, he probably would not have been asked.

Remember, your opinion means nothing, but the law does. I hope anyone reading your response realizes the difference...cause it seems you may not, and you post as if your opinion is some kind of Nebraska state 2 strike law. So unless you can link to the state statutes, it's just more misinformation floating around. Curious though, did you come up with that on your own, or were you told that from somewhere else? If you were told that, by whom?

Iowa issues a permit to carry weapons open or concealed. ICA 724.4

yes it is legal to open carry in Iowa provided that you have a permit to carry weapons. Also, Iowa is not a constitutional carry state and does require you to provide your permit upon request of a law enforcement officer. I open carry quite a bit, but usually conceal in shopping areas!

Iowa does not have open carry acording to this web site.

You were lucky

Iowa Gun Rights - An Overview of Gun Laws in Iowa

Link Removed

724.4 Carrying weapons.

THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD READ THE LAWS...not ABOUT.COM.

Open carry = legal, if in a city you may need a permission slip to carry concealed or openly.

Laws don't make things legal, they make things illegal. There is no law that says I am allowed to eat, so does that make eating illegal?

As others have said, it's a PERMIT TO CARRY, whether you carry open or concealed is your choice. Also, the "no guns allowed" signs carry no true force of law, they are like no trespassing signs here. IF there was a sign, and you went in, concealed, and left, you didn't break any laws. IF your gun was seen, like it was, and someone reported you, and the manager asked you to leave and you did, you didn't break the law, IF the same as above, and you were asked to leave and didn't, they called the cops, and they asked you to leave and you didn't, THEN you broke the law. Yeah, it's stupid. But remember, at least we have this on our side, since most of these mass shootings seem to happen where a sign says NO GUNS ALLOWED. I usually won't shop in a place that has a sign, however our movie theaters have them, and not that we go often, but when we do, I always carry. Many reasons for this, not that I should have to explain, but the biggest is, our theater is 45 min away from our house, I wouldn't even consider going that far without having my weapon, then the thought of locking it up in a vehicle???? No, not that either, but the final reason is, for the very thought of what happened in a theater recently. I would rather be protecting myself with my weapon than a tub of popcorn.

I also find it hard to believe this whole story, given that everyone in Iowa knows it's called a permit to carry and NOT conceal carry license. For what it's worth.

Link Removed

724.4 Carrying weapons.

THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD READ THE LAWS...not ABOUT.COM.

Open carry = legal, if in a city you may need a permission slip to carry concealed or openly.

Laws don't make things legal, they make things illegal. There is no law that says I am allowed to eat, so does that make eating illegal?

Let's be careful out there. You don't want to scare some little old lady into cardiac arrest. The anti-gun folks will chalk it up as a gun-related death.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back