Iowa Open Carry

I called today and the company headquarters assured me that there are no gun bans at any of their locations. They also stated they would deal with this incident and they gave me a $250 gift card for my humiliation. Of course it's in the mail, we'll see if it actually arrives. But I thought that was an awesome gesture. I repeatedly declined their offer but they insisted. I think it's awesome that a company cares about our rights as citizens.

Thanks HyVee for supporting us!

I called today and the company headquarters assured me that there are no gun bans at any of their locations. They also stated they would deal with this incident and they gave me a $250 gift card for my humiliation. Of course it's in the mail, we'll see if it actually arrives. But I thought that was an awesome gesture. I repeatedly declined their offer but they insisted. I think it's awesome that a company cares about our rights as citizens.

Thanks HyVee for supporting us!

Good for you in following through.

My wife and i started going to a new church this weekend when i got to the door i noticed a no firearms sign i started back to my vehicle to secure my gun when the pastor asked were i was going so i told him i was armed and hold a ccp he told me it was fine to enter with my firearm and that he shared the church wit another cong. that didn't allow fierarms and he immediatly removed the sign from the door and welcomed my wife and me in.

Summary
Iowa is not a traditional open carry state, but no permit is required to open carry except when in vehicles or when inside city limits. Open carry in cities is technically legal with an Iowa permit to carry weapons, however Iowa is a may-issue state, and some sheriffs have indicated that they will revoke your permit for open carrying.

Iowa | OpenCarry.org

I live in Iowa and have seen people open carrying in the local Walmart with no probems from the other shoppers or the management and staff. when I took my conceled class ( given by a veteran sheriffs deputy ) we were told that even though open crry is legal in Iowa, it may be to much of a hassel to deal with. I'm wondering which town and store you were in?

"Can't wait until I can get my CCW, so I won't have to disarm when crossing into my home state."

I teach Colorado CCW in Denver. Your CCW permit from Colorado is recognized in Iowa. You will need to learn the laws in Iowa before you go, though.

Write me and I can help you get your CCW when you turn 21.

Actually that's not 100% accurate. Back in Jan 2011, we switched from "MAY ISSUE" to "SHALL ISSUE" Depending on the county you lived in, and "who" you were, you were able to get a permit to carry. Mostly all that changed was the "SHALL" part. The permit itself enabled you to open or conceal. The other big change was Sheriff's are no longer able to put restrictions on your permit. For example, some would put "Can only carry when going to the range, or a competition" Now it's unrestricted, if you have one, you can carry when you want, other than where restricted by federal law.

Iowa just started conceal carry 1 yr to 1.5 years ago

This may have been the case before Jan 2011, but has no bearing now. We can carry where we want, other than restricted by federal law, IE Post Offices, etc.

My personal feeling is not to open carry, most already know why. You experienced one of the big ones. I really don't want to have my day interrupted by a distraction like you had. Our city building (where I pay my bill every month) put up a sign NO WEAPONS. Well, for one, that's vague, as I have a pen that is technically a weapon, but anyhow, when it first went up, it was winter, and I walked up, saw the sign, turned around to go back to my vehicle, had to take my winter coat off outside my jeep, then slid inside the jeep to unholster and secure in my safe, well while unholstering, an elderly lady was walking by at the exact time I pull my weapon out, now this was right after the shall issue law passed, her eyes got as big as frying pans, and she sped her step up a bit. Well after I did some research and realized those signs have no force of law as a whole, I decided that I wasn't going to go through the possibility of "MAN WITH A GUN" call, or the even worse chance of a negligent discharge while trying to holster/unholster in a tight space all because someone is ignorant about guns. EVERYONE is safer if I leave it holstered and hidden where it belongs. I've yet to have a "MAN WITH A GUN" call on me, and hope it stays that way. I have had a couple interactions with law enforcement since carrying, 1 accident, and 1 speeding ticket, both were polite and honestly could care less about me being armed. Stay safe and stay concealed :)

That's very cool that they're sending you a gift card, obviously someone with Hy-vee wants your business. I guess if it were me I would spend it in a different store of there's. Fareway was going to ban guns a couple of yrs. ago & it was right before deer season & when hunters got wind of this they banded together & told them we're not doing business with you anymore, well they were smart enough to realize just how much business they would loose & send to they're competition for paper & everything else that is used to process deer they didn't go through with it. If you can I would also be interested to know if this manager keeps his job or gets transfered.

Summary
Iowa is not a traditional open carry state, but no permit is required to open carry except when in vehicles or when inside city limits. Open carry in cities is technically legal with an Iowa permit to carry weapons, however Iowa is a may-issue state, and some sheriffs have indicated that they will revoke your permit for open carrying.

Iowa | OpenCarry.org

Iowa is indeed a "Shall Issue" state. Furthermore... Law enforcement must have justification to revoke a permit. They just can't arbitrarily revoke a permit just because they don't like something. Now having said that, there have been cases where a few Police Chiefs, Sheriffs, and municipalities have in one way or another tried to give the impression that they can legally ban carry in their jurisdictions. They try to bluff people by making statements through the media and or passing a proclamation saying they have banned carry under their jurisdictions. These are merely attempts to try and bully people into submission and they do not carry force of law. Also, Criminal Protection Zone (No Weapons Allowed) signs do not carry force of law either, with exception of the usual places, Federal Property, schools, etc...

It we all just carry concealed and never open the. The public we live amongst will forever view guns as something bad or out of the ordinary. I live across from a police dispatcher in my town that told me they always ask control questions when taking calls of this manner. They always ask if the person is acting in a threatening manner when the answer is no, the to into the law and inform the citizen that it is legal to carry a firearm as long as the person has a permit. The. If the citizen insists they will send an officer. I have only self with an issue twice, HyVee was one of them and the second time I was pumping gas.

I do not mind being stopped! I am always considerate of the officers and their time. If stopping me helps educate the gun stupid people than so be it. I will continue to be an advocate for open carry even though I don't practice as much anymore.

By the way I was at the store in Iowa City!

I love OPEN Carrying...its tactically smart for self defense and that is the reason why I carry it in the first place.

I'm a former LE officer still work as an Armed Tactical Officer and of course have several Firearm Instructor Certifications and although OPEN carry is not for everyone I do it as often as possible.

With the rare exceptions in Iowa where its stated in the Statutes that I cannot carry (although most of those places you can make a formal request to do so...and hope you get a yes) SIGNS are NOT law.

I've let my students know of some of the NO GUN businesses I've come across that post signs but there are places WITHOUT signs that can still get their panties in a knot when/if they see you open carry at their location.

Sign or No sign they can ask you to leave and in doing so your not breaking a law.

I'm not akin to entering places where they post signs of stupidity (hey everybody inside is not supposed to carry come on in bad guys) as they don't deserve my business but there are instances when I do business out of "convenience" to me and I still carry...usually concealed in those places.

I have pumped gas and had a lady stare at me and say "I am not comfortable with you carrying a gun" to which I replied "then I guess we shouldn't have a problem that we can not resolve by talking".

...not exactly the best way to drum up business but I don't ever pretend that 1. I can satisfy everyone and 2. That everyone is someone I should service anyway. I've refused to instruct only 2 students and as a business owner I have the right to refuse service.

Most times someone says something like "wow, you carry a gun like that" to which I reply " yes sir/mam everyday almost 24/7 and if your interested in learning why and getting more info here is my card".

...at best they call sign themselves up at worst they pass the card to someone who calls relays the story about getting my card from that friend and I sign them for a course or two.

OPEN carry is NECESSARY to some degree. If we want to get the general public back on track to understanding that MOST people who OPEN carrying (not to mention in a holster) are Good Guys that it makes a good deterrent because bad guys don't like getting caught or hurt and when they see someone armed there is a likely hood of one or both.

Tactically...its logical because its instant access no lifting or sweeping of clothing and I am trained to protect it carrying IWB or OWB with a locking device on the holster.

I also don't have a "physique" that most people are likely to come at me even if I did not open carry but with one or more possible assailants, the added deterrent I convey open carrying majority of the time makes it feasible to me...again, not for everyone.

We have to be mindful in the winter of the multiple layers of clothing etc. so again that will play a role as well...not much point carrying if you cannot access it fast enough or at all.

Given that most attacks happen within 0-6ft 73% of the time and inside of 15ft 88% of the time you have about 1.5-2secs to draw and acquire the threat...not allot of time and why additional training to fend of an attacker (when escape is not an option) with the focus on getting to your tool asap is needed as well.

The laws in Iowa have changed drastically starting Jan 1st 2011...its now Shall Issue which means as long as your 21yrs+ (with very few exception to security/le/military personal) have a clean criminal background and no mental health admissions (voluntarily or involuntarily) the State has no reason to decline your permit.

Sheriff's are not allowed to use their "judgement" any longer as its not a may issue and if you have issues I highly suggest contacting DPS who are the ones of actually interpreting the State Law while the Sheriff's are the ones who impose it. A lawyer would be good to if you have issues in Iowa.

I instruct in Colorado as well as other states and CO has a very "grey" shall issue background. Its still very much more like MAY issue as the legislation has loop holes for sheriff's to discriminate however they are supposed to follow CSOC rulings and CSOC suggests to follow the STATE mandates/requirements.

The rare sheriff in CO that does not follow state requirements verbatum have usually been "advised" by County Sheriff's Of Colorado and C.B.I. (the ones in charge of interpreting the law) to follow the state law and as a fail safe RMGO.ORG seem to have a lot of added help to those who are wrongfully declined while passing state requirements.

In any case, the fact that one needs a permit is completely lame.

As much as I appreciate that its another income stream for us firearm instructors it really lets EVERYONE know that we have indeed lost our right.

A right is to be exercised WITHOUT a requirement of a permit/license to exercise said right...if you have to get one then your stating that we lost it!

Again, I open carry about 95% of the time with exception of winter, mainly due to the fact that I have to wear a winter jacket like anyone else would. Of course their are other options of concealment that are actually even faster than open carry for deployment (think pockets) just as I usually have other weapons more accessible anyway depending on which State I may be visiting at the time.

I do have to give CO temporary props for the fact that they do have and allow Conceal Carry at their University Campus and actually have a portion of student dorms dedicated to conceal carry students only.

Not likely to be a virginia tech happening over there but until we have nationwide reciprocity or actual CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY in every state its all a bunch of political BS that shows how corrupt things are.

I think most of us would be better served having to get a permit for the 1st Amendment rather than the 2nd....far to many stupid people (think anti-gun idiots) that are better off keeping their mouth shut until they educate themselves on certain topics.

J

I love OPEN Carrying...its tactically smart for self defense and that is the reason why I carry it in the first place.

I'm a former LE officer still work as an Armed Tactical Officer and of course have several Firearm Instructor Certifications and although OPEN carry is not for everyone I do it as often as possible.

With the rare exceptions in Iowa where its stated in the Statutes that I cannot carry (although most of those places you can make a formal request to do so...and hope you get a yes) SIGNS are NOT law.

I've let my students know of some of the NO GUN businesses I've come across that post signs but there are places WITHOUT signs that can still get their panties in a knot when/if they see you open carry at their location.

Sign or No sign they can ask you to leave and in doing so your not breaking a law.

I'm not akin to entering places where they post signs of stupidity (hey everybody inside is not supposed to carry come on in bad guys) as they don't deserve my business but there are instances when I do business out of "convenience" to me and I still carry...usually concealed in those places.

I have pumped gas and had a lady stare at me and say "I am not comfortable with you carrying a gun" to which I replied "then I guess we shouldn't have a problem that we can not resolve by talking".

...not exactly the best way to drum up business but I don't ever pretend that 1. I can satisfy everyone and 2. That everyone is someone I should service anyway. I've refused to instruct only 2 students and as a business owner I have the right to refuse service.

Most times someone says something like "wow, you carry a gun like that" to which I reply " yes sir/mam everyday almost 24/7 and if your interested in learning why and getting more info here is my card".

...at best they call sign themselves up at worst they pass the card to someone who calls relays the story about getting my card from that friend and I sign them for a course or two.

OPEN carry is NECESSARY to some degree. If we want to get the general public back on track to understanding that MOST people who OPEN carrying (not to mention in a holster) are Good Guys that it makes a good deterrent because bad guys don't like getting caught or hurt and when they see someone armed there is a likely hood of one or both.

Tactically...its logical because its instant access no lifting or sweeping of clothing and I am trained to protect it carrying IWB or OWB with a locking device on the holster.

I also don't have a "physique" that most people are likely to come at me even if I did not open carry but with one or more possible assailants, the added deterrent I convey open carrying majority of the time makes it feasible to me...again, not for everyone.

We have to be mindful in the winter of the multiple layers of clothing etc. so again that will play a role as well...not much point carrying if you cannot access it fast enough or at all.

Given that most attacks happen within 0-6ft 73% of the time and inside of 15ft 88% of the time you have about 1.5-2secs to draw and acquire the threat...not allot of time and why additional training to fend of an attacker (when escape is not an option) with the focus on getting to your tool asap is needed as well.

The laws in Iowa have changed drastically starting Jan 1st 2011...its now Shall Issue which means as long as your 21yrs+ (with very few exception to security/le/military personal) have a clean criminal background and no mental health admissions (voluntarily or involuntarily) the State has no reason to decline your permit.

Sheriff's are not allowed to use their "judgement" any longer as its not a may issue and if you have issues I highly suggest contacting DPS who are the ones of actually interpreting the State Law while the Sheriff's are the ones who impose it. A lawyer would be good to if you have issues in Iowa.

I instruct in Colorado as well as other states and CO has a very "grey" shall issue background. Its still very much more like MAY issue as the legislation has loop holes for sheriff's to discriminate however they are supposed to follow CSOC rulings and CSOC suggests to follow the STATE mandates/requirements.

The rare sheriff in CO that does not follow state requirements verbatum have usually been "advised" by County Sheriff's Of Colorado and C.B.I. (the ones in charge of interpreting the law) to follow the state law and as a fail safe RMGO.ORG seem to have a lot of added help to those who are wrongfully declined while passing state requirements.

In any case, the fact that one needs a permit is completely lame.

As much as I appreciate that its another income stream for us firearm instructors it really lets EVERYONE know that we have indeed lost our right.

A right is to be exercised WITHOUT a requirement of a permit/license to exercise said right...if you have to get one then your stating that we lost it!

Again, I open carry about 95% of the time with exception of winter, mainly due to the fact that I have to wear a winter jacket like anyone else would. Of course their are other options of concealment that are actually even faster than open carry for deployment (think pockets) just as I usually have other weapons more accessible anyway depending on which State I may be visiting at the time.

I do have to give CO temporary props for the fact that they do have and allow Conceal Carry at their University Campus and actually have a portion of student dorms dedicated to conceal carry students only.

Not likely to be a virginia tech happening over there but until we have nationwide reciprocity or actual CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY in every state its all a bunch of political BS that shows how corrupt things are.

I think most of us would be better served having to get a permit for the 1st Amendment rather than the 2nd....far to many stupid people (think anti-gun idiots) that are better off keeping their mouth shut until they educate themselves on certain topics.

J

Nice post, you know the old adage "I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6".

I open because its comfortable, convenient and my right. Sure I get looks and questions but more from kids than adults. Parents are too involved in their cell phones to notice anything, usually!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back