Husband starting new job in El Paso & CCW

crowsnake

We drove down to El Paso to check out the place and for his interview. Of course the guy brought up guns and going out to the desert and shooting on Sundays. He asked Don if he shot. Don shows him his Missouri CCW permit the "boss" said You have a permit? really? I been thinking of getting one but here you don't really need it, everyone carries.

If you are going to carry get your permit, every permit out there is one more VOTE for CCW's if you just carry and don't go through the red tape then we look smaller as a group. Plus if you do happen to use your gun and you don't have a permit you will probably end up in jail. We all need every gun owner and shooter to apply for their permit, If you are buying guns then you are already on the list of gun owners cause you have been through the Government check list thing anyway. Once you buy a gun from a dealer and they run your drivers license you are on the list of gun owners so you might as well just man up and get your CCW permit even if you don't intend to carry all the time, the permit is your voice your number, count yourself as a gun owner who will not set by and let them take our rights away.

Ok so Off the soap box. Anyone like El Paso? Besides Barnett's Harley, what is there to do? Do you like the weather? How do sinus act there, out of the sinus belt, My Husband has only been there since Saturday at his new job he says his sinus are not as bad as here, but he he just got there. are there places I can go ride my KLR 650?

I hate this humid hot in the summer and the wet nasty cold here in the winter, Missouri Yuck. Its warm today but so wet and nasty its not much consolation. I'm ready to move and not have to mow grass all summer, and not ride in rain every weekend. But we have a house to sell and he has to see if he thinks the job is a keeper or not so here I set stuck in Mo. Blah. We really have so few nice days here, if you count them really nice days are low in number, it is either raining, or cold, or so hot an humid your skin burns..

I was stationed in twice for a total of 12 years in Alamogordo, NM about 90 miles from El Paso. It was the closest "big" city. Yes CCW permit is a must. Ciudad Jaurez across the river should be considered a warzone.... don't across over with anything firearm related.

The fine dust gave my sinus issues. Pollen had good and bad years if/when rains came. Lots of long strait roads in the basin or you can go up in to the mountains for twisting roads. Dry heat helps, but over 100 is still hot. Heat mirages can hide a lot from view.... on two lane roads be extra careful. In town no worries, but in desert it happens.
The road can look clear and FLAT... road being strait helps heat mirage mask elevation changes big enough to hide vehicles, semis even. Before they made US54 a four lane divided they were lot of accidents where some one passing didn't see the oncoming traffic.... at least once where people where attempting to pass in both directions at same time. In time you will learn were the dangerous spots are.

Lots of outdoor activities in the area. In Summer temperature is far more pleasant in mountains. It rarely snows once or twice a year in basin. They are real snow wimps when it does. I hope you and your family enjoy.

Hmmm...We used to live in Southern Commiefornia until 25 years ago when we moved here to Missouri. I've come to love it here, rain, snow, wild winds, whatever it gives us -- even putting the pot plants inside the house in winter I've lived with it. Knock wood! when there are disasters going on somewhere in Planet USA, we feel safe here -- we know or neighbours and vice versa, we take care of each other's homes when we want to go for our holidays, we are pretty much right-wingers here apart from two jerks in our street, and Missouri Castle Law is very good. Even our immigration law here is even ahead of Arizona's. What is not to like in this piece of beautiful earth? You know, if you do not like the place where you life, move. No one is holding you back. This is how life is here in the US, we have freedom.Better enjoy it while it last. All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism. And don't worry about old age here - it doesn't last that long either no matter where you live.

Sorry I am no help to you. I like Texas, but starting all over again? Not me. I've had enough start-ups to last me a long long time.

I have a friend that lived there for several years and liked it very much. In spite of being just across the river from one of the most dangerous cities in the world (Ciudad Juarez), El Paso has long been considered one of the safest big cities (500,000+) in the country. It still holds true today with crime indexes below the national average, and well below most large cities.

Good luck. I'd love to move to the Southwest but I'm kinda stuck here in S. Florida (love my job and I'd get killed on my house if I tried to sell it in this market).

It would be quite the change from missouri. I used to get down their in a semi truck. While getting unloaded and reloaded you could here gunshots from mexico. Must be really wild across the river. I did like elpaso though. I your used to seeing green grass, green trees green fields green hills / mountains. El Paso you will be used to seeing brown. desert type terrain. I had taken a different route from Elpaso to Anthony ,TX. I went over the mountian that was very "Cool". I,m sure you and your husband will love it there.
If I could find a good job their I would like to move there. One last thing that would be help full is to Speake Spanish.

Lived in Mo for 4 years..St Peters...Spent a lot of time in El Paso. In the old days it was a lot of fun to go over the boarder. Now day's don't do it! As said Ciudad Juarez is a war zone. One of the main Mexico drug cartels runs the town. You are taking your life in your own hands if you do. Our Government will not come to your aid to get picked up by the Federales get you....Trust me they don't nead a reason to pick you up when you are in their country. Don't ever drive a car into Mexico. If it get's stolen your insurance will not cover it.
I would not want to live close to the boarder (line of fire) as several home have sustained bullet damage from over the boarder...It would be good to know or learn spanish.

We should be fighting against CCW permits, IMHO. Pay the government a tax in order to obtain their permission to exercise a right protected by the Constitution? Poll taxes on the right to vote were abolished in 1964 by the 24th amendment to the Constitution. We should fight for the same for the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.

BTW... yes I do have a CPL, because I have to have one in order to legally carry a loaded gun in my vehicle in Washington state.

QUOTE=localgirl;250741]Before anyone gets too excited, Brits and Aussies say "pot" instead of "potted" plants.
Thanks for putting me in my place by breaking up my heat. I really appreciate that...and need it.[/QUOTE]

Just didn't want anyone accusing you of growing illicit drugs on your porch!

Thanks for putting me in my place by breaking up my heat. I really appreciate that...and need it.

Just didn't want anyone accusing you of growing illicit drugs on your porch![/QUOTE]
Yeah...like I do...I was really that bad, wasn't I?
awwwwwwwwwwww...I love you....LOL

Anyway, crowsnake...I am sorry. I am one of those that do not like someone criticizing the place where they live. I have not lived in El Paso but I had been there once to go to dinner with friends. It was safer then at the time. Most of my Texan friends lives in the middle of Texas. Last October we went to the Red River Swift Wing (you can google this one if you like...) for their annual fly-in and I asked if we can go to San Antonio. Knowing me, most of them said I will not like it there because there are a lot of illegals there and very dangerous. Last night I asked my husband about living conditions in El Paso. He said that place is a dangerous place to raise a family. Our youngest son lives in North Dakota. When he comes home at 30° he would remove his shirt and make a snowman in the backyard. He's crazy but he said it is warm here at home even at 30°. And btw, North Dakota has the lowest unemployment in the whole of the US. He works on 3 jobs and still trying to finish his masters.

I was born and raised in El Paso. Like any big city (750,000 plus another 1.5 million in Juarez), it has good
areas and bad. Also, the military base has it's share of problems. Concealed carry is allowed without a license only to and from your home or place of work and your vehicle. You can conceal in your vehicle.The law is usually loosely translated, but you might run into a "by the book" LEO. I would highly recommend getting your CHL.

I've lived in the El Paso area since 1962. I have a couple of comments.

It is not true that you can hear gunfire from Juarez in El Paso. It is not
true that several homes have been hit by gunfire, although the City Hall
was hit once. No one was injured.

It is true that Juarez is the most dangerous city in the world right now.
Don't go over there for any reason whatsoever.

It is also true that El Paso is rated as one of the safest cities in the
USA right now. I like to think that this is due at least in part to the
number of holders of Texas CHL,s and New Mexico CCW,s around here.

If you are going to carry a concealed weapon, by all means jump through
all the legal hoops and get a license. The mayor and the Chief of police
are both not advocates of the 2nd amendment, to put it politely.

The person who told you to go ahead and carry without a license was not
a rocket scientist by any definition.

Enjoy your time here!

Don't misunderstand I love the area and understand the news reports may over state the problem.

I'm with NavyLCDR as no state should require us to have a permit. However, given the choice of not carrying and having to get a permit, I will get a permit every time. HR-218 should cover me as retired LEO, but some states do not recognize it.

Look at these links..

El Paso Neighbors React To Cross Border Gunfire From Juarez

El Paso's Bowie High School shaken by border gunfire in drug cartel shootout | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Well, I may be incorrect in my statement. However, the
gunfire sounds reported to be heard at Bowie High School
were to my knowledge, not reported in the El Paso news
media. So I hadn't heard about it.

As far as the Constitution goes, no permit should be required
of anyone.

We used to cross in Laredo this was probably 15-20 years ago, and it was fairly safe, we even had a guy take us around with his horse "taxi" We would buy stuff and take it home to Illinois and make money at the flea markets and we bought leather goods for our horses. But it sounds like we will not be going across in El Paso. Is Laredo still a safe crossing? anyone know?

So Far my husband likes his job and our Missouri CCW is good there until we actually decide to move. If we move we have already Decided it would be on the NM side cause they do not have a TOY tax. Or personal property tax for our motorcycles, and autos. His job is right on the boarder of NM, Mexico & TX. It does not look like he will be home for Christmas, so I will probably go there for new years.

Thanks for all the post, they are helpful, Crow

We used to cross in Laredo this was probably 15-20 years ago, and it was fairly safe, we even had a guy take us around with his horse "taxi" We would buy stuff and take it home to Illinois and make money at the flea markets and we bought leather goods for our horses. But it sounds like we will not be going across in El Paso. Is Laredo still a safe crossing? anyone know?

So Far my husband likes his job and our Missouri CCW is good there until we actually decide to move. If we move we have already Decided it would be on the NM side cause they do not have a TOY tax. Or personal property tax for our motorcycles, and autos. His job is right on the boarder of NM, Mexico & TX. It does not look like he will be home for Christmas, so I will probably go there for new years.

Thanks for all the post, they are helpful, Crow

I have lived in Laredo for the last 17 years. I cross for work everyday. We USED to cross with our families to shop and eat, etc. without a concern. That is no longer the case.

I cross to work and come directly back home. Is it dangerous? To a degree much greater than your average city in the US? YES! I consider this as another "bad" area in a big city. Would you take your family there? I think not. I am 'on alert' 110% of the time I am across the border. I have had employees car-jacked immediately in front of our facility and been 'locked down' in the facility due to drug dealers vs the military shoot outs. Once back in Laredo, I have no greater sense of fear than anywhere else in the US.

I think you will find the same is true for Juarez-El Paso. I visit both cities for about a week every other month. Same rules apply, just to a slightly greater degree. Don't go to the bad areas of ANY town, keep on alert and limit unnecessary exposure. We keep a very low profile, don't get into habits that make you predictable, don't openly display money or wealth. Don't go to Nuevo Laredo or Juarez if you don't have to. Leave your new pickup or luxury car on the US side. In all cases, just try to appear as 'one of the herd.'

The US side of the border seems to be as safe as any other city in the US. Its a shame what has happened to what used to be nice places to go.

Man I use to love to go over the border to shop in the open market...I would take 100.00 over and come back with almost more than I could carry. I have a pair of exotic leather boots that was custom make for me "over night" that I paid 50.00 for. They were made in 1997, and they look as good as the day they were made...The man had me step on a piece of cardboard, and he drew around my feet and measure my arch...He said if they did not fit like a glove I did not have to pay for them...You know how they fit!

There are some real craftsmen in the Mexico border towns....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back