How to convience my mother and gf to let me get a CCW permit?

RockyTopDC

I am about to be 21 and really want to get my CCW permit in the state of Kansas and my mother and gf say I do not need one while attending school and whatnot. I live in Overland Park near downtown Kansas City and really do not feel safe when I am out and about anymore. How can I convince them that I need one?? Thank yall for you're replies.

honestly!!!

If you are tuning into a public forum regarding your GF and your mother you are already DOOMED.
Please turn in your "man card."
REVIEW the MULTIPLE posts about this topic.
Good luck.
mspt_99

Go to the courthouse pay the fee take said classes if applicable then walk into the house and say. "I got my ccw" and then walk out of the room. NUFF SAID!

mspt_99 I am actually looking for various reasons/facts I could educate them on. That's why I am posting this on a FORUM. Maybe the female population here could yelp me out? Thanks.

Why you just have your mommy come live with you and protect you?

Seriously, though: Take an NRA safety course, better yet, see if your college offers one for Phys Ed credits. I did that when I was in school and it was the first time I ever handled a gun. Get used to it. Apply for a permitanyway and then have the discussion when you actually go to buy the gun (assuming you will need one of them to help you buy it).

Your a big boy now.
Just get the ccp. No need to ask anyone. If your mom has a problem with it don't show her the gun. If your girlfriend has a problem too bad. She has no say in the matter. Now if it was a wife. Your screwed. If you do marry the girl than you will already have a gun and ccp. So buy a bunch a buy often.
I have to pull teeth just to get some ammo. It took YEARS to get a gun then a ccp.

Thanks for the input, but I am already very skilled in handling and firing almost any conventional firearm. Ha Peconic_Paladin, I live with my parents for the time being because I am currently in medical school, nice joke though.

Oh okay. I thought you lived apart from them and they had no idea what kind of neighborhood you lived/went to school in. In that case, I would just tell them that you attend school in a crappy area, they know the hours you have to be there and come home in, and you want to carry a gun because you can't carry a cop.

Grow a set of balls.....my wife thinks I have enough "firepower" but I went and bought another gun today that sadly sank off the coast of mississippi like the rest. Grow a pair and do what you want to do.

Why do they need to know? If you live with your mother, then do as your mother tells you until you get your own place. Her house, her rules. As for the girlfriend, she is not your wife and need not be consulted on such personal matters. If she leaves you then good riddence. There are plenty of smokin hot gun friendly gals out there. It's your life... when are you going to start acting like it? Here is one last tip... part of CCing is not letting ANYONE know that you are carrying, you should.start that now. BTW, if you ever get up.to the Bullet Hole PM me., I live in OP also.

Isn't the first word of CCW CONCEALED?

If you have disagreements with your girlfriend about something as basic as carrying a gun for self-protection....ummm...there are plenty of others out there who will appreciate a man who is concerned about protection more than just carrying a condom in their wallet.

Maybe I misread it but I thought you said your about to be 21, which means your 20, which means your an adult. Act like one. They have no say over whether or not you need a gun. But based off of your post, I would say your not ready for it just yet.

At 21 should your Mom really be telling you what to do? Or your girlfriend for that matter?
Oooohhhh...that is a mean statement. Of course he does! He still lives in her home, doesn't he? OK, that aside I will go with the advice of Jeff Olson...go to the court, apply for your ccw, etc. etc. When it comes to protecting yourself outside of your mom's home, you are on your own. Even inside your mom's home, you can protect yourself and/or other members of her household from "invaders", so to speak...if it comes to that. Then your mom will understand why you have to have a gun.

As for your girlfriend, you are just 21 years of age. You might have 64 more of them before you find the right one. If she opposes to you having a gun, then she doesn't seriously care about your life. My husband knew I was scared of guns way before we got married. Maybe he was desperate or maybe I was -- that was why we got married --- and heaven knows, I wasn't pregnant that was why we got married but that was beside the point. The point is hubby HOPEd to "educate" me as to the usefulness of a gun...AFTER we got married. Because of my mindset, it took me years to warm up to one, but having raised to the thinking in "men rules" mentality, I accepted him having guns and doing many things without getting my "permission"...Men do what they do because they are men. Your girlfriend should be able to relate to that. At your age, don't be too serious "about a girl" YET. Go for your goal. Focus on it. Be a doctor. Aim to be one and be successful in it. At this stage of your game, the rest for now are either a distraction or an entertainment.

You are free to take my advice with a grain of salt. The ball is now in your court.

Last edited:
It's easier to beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission. If they still complain, grow a pair and tell them to just deal with it. It's a no compromise issue.

Step One: reach down front of pants and check for balls.

Result: None

Before you ask permission again, be sure to make your bed and take the garbage out. Chores first.

If you've got to ask your mother, or your girlfriend for any sort of implied permission to obtain a carry permit then you should NOT be carrying a sidearm. When I purchased my first pistol the last thing I took into consideration is what my mother might think or say when she found out - The last thing!

I see a lot of great posts here about checking your manhood but did not see a single person post anything about the laws on carrying a firearm onto school property, a college is still a school correct, granted it may be legal at your college but first off I'd check the laws on that before it became an issue, I do agree with others though, just go do it, if they need convincing otherwise of why you should get one, make them watch the local news.

I am about to be 21 and really want to get my CCW permit in the state of Kansas and my mother and gf say I do not need one while attending school and whatnot. I live in Overland Park near downtown Kansas City and really do not feel safe when I am out and about anymore. How can I convince them that I need one?? Thank yall for you're replies.

You're an adult, you get one and tell them to MYOB.

Better yet since it is none of their business you get one and say nothing and learn the valuable lesson that the fact that you are carrying a firearm does not need to be general knowledge

ETA

I live with my parents for the time being because I am currently in medical school, nice joke though.

OK this changes things, to a degree.

Still not their business but if you get a CHP you need to keep it completely under the radar and you need to make sure that the gun can be discretely secured in what ever part of the home is considered your private area.

If the parents flat tell you "No guns in our home" you need to respect that and make some adult decisions either way.

My mom was dead set against the concept so I just didn't mention it and when I came home I put the gun out of sight.

Of course the fact that I lived in Co Springs and she lived in Omaha and the fact that I had been out on my own since I was 16 ( I was 27 when Colorado went Shall issue) helped

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back