how many people nationwide do you think carry a firearm legally?

and what % of them do you think open carry?

I would say *FAR* less than 15%. Even when I lived in Open-Carry friendly Prescott, AZ, I'd say the percentage was less than 1%.

My state senator recently claimed to me that here in Oregon, over 50% of the population own guns. Not sure where she got her numbers, but it sounds plausible. In Texas (which publishes numbers,) between 1-2% of the population have CC permits. Probably a reasonable assumption for most shall-issue states. So if maybe 1% of the population in open-carry-friendly areas open carries, and between 1-2% have CC permits, I'd estimate that the ratio of open-to-concealed would be about 50/50. In open-carry-friendly areas. In areas *NOT* open-carry-friendly (not just places with laws against it, but also places where it is just generally uncommon like large cities,) it's likely closer to 1% open, 99% concealed.

I can legally open carry in Portland (by virtue of a CHL - loaded open carry is restricted in Portland without a CHL.) I cannot remember the last time I saw someone open carry. Even in Eugene, OR, which doesn't limit open carry, I don't think I've ever seen anyone open carry.

Since a larger portion of the population lives in gun-unfriendly cities than in gun-friendly areas, my guess would be at most 5% of the gun-toting public open carries. (I am NOT counting police officers, security guards, or other uniformed personnel who carry as part of their job.)

I don't understand why anyone would want to open carry. If the police don't hassle/arrest you first, then a bad guy committing a robbery is going to see you and shoot you first, and if none of that happens, a bad guy is going to see your gun and take it from you and probably shoot you with it, and if that doesn't happen then a group of criminals/gangbangers are going to ambush you and take your gun from you. Oh, and all the soccer moms and rest of the public emasculated by the Brady Bunch are going to run, screaming in terror at the sight of the gun. I just don't understand why anyone would want to open carry.

NOW THAT THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID, because someone just had to say it and we might as well get it over with early, we now return to our regularly scheduled program.

I am one of the, what I would guess to be, less than 1% of people who carries guns who open carries nearly all the time. I have not experienced any of the things in my opening statement, nor do I expect to.

i have only been hassled by the police once and that was by a cop who doesn't approve of civilians owning firearms. most people never notice my pistol. i get some stares and the rare comment from someone along the lines of "that isn't legal". i've never had anyone try and take my gun from me (and if they tried, good luck. i carry a backup gun (a kel tec pf9) and my open carry holster for my 1911 is a level 2 blackhawk sepra holster (you can't steal the pistol from it, not without me knowing and reacting anyway)). the only time i conceal is when it's pouring rain and i don't want my 1911 to get soaked.

NRA suggests that 46% of US households legally have at least one gun in residence. (We won't go into those illegally in possession. Sheer conjecture, but I bet it would be a considerable number.)

I saw a recent tidbit (cant remember where) indicating that there are over 6 million "legal" permits in existance.... the biggest recent upsurge in permits were issued to women.

Let's guesstimate the number of US adults at around 150 million or so, giving around 4% of adult permitees, Nationwide.

On the other hand, in all my travels and in all my years, I have NEVER witnessed an "open carrier" in the flesh. However, it must be noted that the number of States allowing ANY carry is mostly a relatively recent phenomena, therefore a longitudinal "study" would skew the figures toward recent rather than older observations, if found at all.

Just sayin'.

GG

NRA suggests that 46% of US households legally have at least one gun in residence. (We won't go into those illegally in possession. Sheer conjecture, but I bet it would be a considerable number.)

I saw a recent tidbit (cant remember where) indicating that there are over 6 million "legal" permits in existance.... the biggest recent upsurge in permits were issued to women.

Let's guesstimate the number of US adults at around 150 million or so, giving around 4% of adult permitees, Nationwide.

From here:
Link Removed

The US Population is 308,745,538 with 75.7% over 18 = 233,720,372. 6 Million permits is 2.6% of those.

I live in medford Oregon and judging by all the people I see at the chl classes and buying guns from sportsmans warehouse ( I go there a lot just to window shop ) I would agree with the 50% gun owners in Oregon, yet I've only seen 1 person OC. I bought an OWB holster for those times I don't feel like having to tuck my piece away but I've yet to use it.

I've definitely seen more open carriers in the backwoods and in small towns than the larger cities (that would be none, to date).

I open carry all the time i live in south east idaho and travel to salt lake city and open carry there. Never had a problem been oc' ing for over a year.

Just returned from a trip to Sedona, saw several folk about 6 open carrying. Me also.

Wow, for a moment I thought you were talking about Sedona, Arizona. The most ultra-"new age" hippy town on the planet. Being rural Arizona, seeing ONE person open carrying wouldn't surprise me too badly, but six would feel astounding. (Unless of course they were one group.)

Holy crap, Nav! I have always used 50% of population, roughly, as a ball park figure for kids versus adults in this Country.

Has the population skewed as badly as that? Must be.

Note to self: new "ball park" figure... 2/3 rds adult, 1/3 rd kids.

GG

Holy crap, Nav! I have always used 50% of population, roughly, as a ball park figure for kids versus adults in this Country.

That's only when you are trying to enjoy a nice, quiet dinner in a restaurant.... then the children to adults ration is usually AT LEAST 50/50!

According to the CIA World Fact Book, the median age in the US is 36.8 years. 20.2% are age 14 or under, 12.8% are age 65 or older. Leaving 67% in "standard adulthood" of 15-64.

Apparently something like 26% of Americans support a complete ban on handgun possession (except for police and "other authorized persons"), at least according to the latest Gallup poll. Also, this is apparently a record low... (See Record-Low 26% in U.S. Favor Handgun Ban)

Of course, those Gallup polls are probably extremely biased, but whatever the case, I was still surprised at how high that number is. I guess a lot of people live in NYC...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back