Have you open carried?

The Social Security Administration is a Federal facility; firearms prohibited by 18 USC 930.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
Good to know. [15 character filler]

And, unfortunately, the Federal government does not recognize a firearm carried for self-protection with or without a state issued permit as "other lawful purposes".

Prior to Heller, the federal government did not recognize the 2nd Amendment to be an impediment to anything they chose to do. As much as I would not want to be the test case to fix the fact you mentioned, someone will eventually have to.

Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
I have no clue what Colorado's laws are and only wanted to give a heads up for how it works in Michigan.
Originally Posted by rilkil23 View Post
I am in Colorado and no liquor is sold in a pharmacy. I assume that is what you are saying could be illegal by my carrying a gun on their property?
To get things straight, it is NOT illegal to carry into a pharmacy or liquor store in Colorado.

I dont drink so I wasnt going to post anything about liquor stores. I thought it was legal but have no experience.
Perhaps the most important thing to take away from this part of the discussion is for folks to make sure they understand ALL the applicable laws for carrying a gun... in the State they are carrying a gun in.

However... it would be wise NOT TO RELY ON what your buddy said is OK... or what someone on the internet said is OK..... or want an instructor (carry permit or otherwise) said is OK.... or what the local cop said is OK.... but to take it upon yourself to research the actual laws because in the end it doesn't matter who said what is OK if the law says otherwise.

And... if there is any big question in a person's mind it would also be wise to spend a little money and ask an attorney in order to be sure ..because any screw ups will cost a lot more than an hour of an attorney's time.

Perhaps the most important thing to take away from this part of the discussion is for folks to make sure they understand ALL the applicable laws for carrying a gun... in the State they are carrying a gun in.

However... it would be wise NOT TO RELY ON what your buddy said is OK... or what someone on the internet said is OK..... or want an instructor (carry permit or otherwise) said is OK.... or what the local cop said is OK.... but to take it upon yourself to research the actual laws because in the end it doesn't matter who said what is OK if the law says otherwise.

And... if there is any big question in a person's mind it would also be wise to spend a little money and ask an attorney in order to be sure ..because any screw ups will cost a lot more than an hour of an attorney's time.

That's probably the first time I have "liked" one of your posts lol.

100%. I don't post things about which I have no knowledge. I spent 12 months researching the laws in Colorado before getting my CHP.

Ya think?????????????

no problems open carrying

I live in a small suburb of Toledo Ohio and I regularly open carry all over the place I carry a full size 1911 and there is no point to try to conceal it and I've never had any problems or reservations about open carrying I will continue to do so until I can't carry anymore

Lambo
I don't know why you have a problem concealing your 1911. I do mine ALL the time and I'm only 5'8 and tip the scales at less than 150. IWB, 2 or 4 O'Clock works for me all the time.

I live in a small suburb of Toledo Ohio and I regularly open carry all over the place I carry a full size 1911 and there is no point to try to conceal it and I've never had any problems or reservations about open carrying I will continue to do so until I can't carry anymore

rogrrr:301750 said:
Lambo
I don't know why you have a problem concealing your 1911. I do mine ALL the time and I'm only 5'8 and tip the scales at less than 150. IWB, 2 or 4 O'Clock works for me all the time.

He never said he had a problem with concealment.

I open carry here in TN. I found people feel more secure when they know a armed civilian is around. And I enjoy the attention I get from other oc's. My brothers and I go out in a big group and people love to ask questions and enjoy educating others on laws and ways they can carry as well!

I misinterpreted his statement about no point in concealing.
I talk with people on a regular basis about carry and I find many who WANT to carry and/or even get a gun. I do my best to make them understand what we have is simply a TOOL, albeit a very powerful tool. And when I explain about my tool being my insurance and I hope to NEVER have to use it, this gets them thinking in a more logical, open manner about carrying.
After all, violence does not make an appointment to happen.

But I'm preaching to the choir

I open carry while on the lake in the boat. I guess that doesn't count though. I carry concealed for the advantage of surprise. There is no such thing as a fair fight.

cajun66:303093 said:
I open carry while on the lake in the boat. I guess that doesn't count though. I carry concealed for the advantage of surprise. There is no such thing as a fair fight.

At least you open carry somewhere :) Good luck with your surprise advantage.

rogrrr:302242 said:
I misinterpreted his statement about no point in concealing.

That's okay we have all made that mistake at some point.

I did say "out and about". To a Canadian, your post fits quite well. ;) Try Walmart next time, it's too easy. I promise.

I open carry when i can i live in Vermont and i carry a Walther PPQ 9mm on my hip. I have had people ask me about it and I've had the occasional stair, but it's not that bad, I've also had people ask me if I'm a cop witch is funny because I am in the proses of becoming a police officer so it is nice to see it from both side. I completely agree that people aside from felons should have the right to bare arms. I think it offers a sense of protection to the individual, police officer can't be every where all the time.

I open carry when i can i live in Vermont and i carry a Walther PPQ 9mm on my hip. I have had people ask me about it and I've had the occasional stair, but it's not that bad, I've also had people ask me if I'm a cop witch is funny because I am in the proses of becoming a police officer so it is nice to see it from both side. I completely agree that people aside from felons should have the right to bare arms. I think it offers a sense of protection to the individual, police officer can't be every where all the time.

Just a suggestion, especially if you're going to try and become a police officer, which requires writing a lot of reports, invest in spell and grammar check software. I'm not trying to embarrass you but you need to know basics such as the difference between "bare" and "bear" and "witch and which" for starters.

Thanks for joining the police force. Good luck and Godspeed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back