Have you open carried?

Unfortunately, I could not open carry if I wanted to. When I applied for my carry permit, the subject came up at the sheriff's office as I did not even know at the time that open carry was legal without a permit. When told this, I was like; "Oh really?" Promptly, they informed me that they "highly recommend that you do not". I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that I live in a city that is home to a university campus. They say it's because they would get too many "man with a gun" calls and it would not only waste their time, but mine too. I also do know that the sheriff was totally against "shall issue" and that until that law passed, nobody was issued a conceal permit unless they were his buddy or made a significant contribution to his election campaign fund.

To be honest, I would probably not open carry anyway. It's just how I am. Open Carry is accepted in many other counties in this state. However, there are some liberal polluted bastions here and there. Unfortunately, I live in one.
And when the liberals manage to intimidate people into not exercising a right that is also legal.... they won.

They didn't even have to change any laws..

But they surely did..... win.

Illegal in Post Office and nuclear facilities, yes. Banks are according to state law. Most states do not prohibit carry in banks. Washington does not. I open carry in my bank every time I go there.

Well, it just shows to go you, I thought I knew everything, guess not. I will check to see what my state has on the book about credit unions. I do think a day that I learn at least one thing is a good day.

And when the liberals manage to intimidate people into not exercising a right that is also legal.... they won.

They didn't even have to change any laws..

But they surely did..... win.
Well, in that case I would most certainly open carry and let them become involved with the justice system only it would be for harassment. It is their problem not the one exercising a Constitutional Right. Just as the man that was arrested for reading his holy book in a public place, it was on the news. He was in the far side of a parking lot, in the DMV, away from the folks and was arrested. It is totally out of hand and we need to make our non-aggressive, non-violent attitude known.

I posted earliey on this thread, and had something kinda fun happen today. I live in Indiana went to my local walmart to buy me some 45acp this morning. I guess i just got lazy, didnt want to worry about what to wear to conceal my 1911. So i just put on my owb holster and off i went. Walked in went to sporting goods counter, some come over asked if i was needing ammo. I said yes please, the lady asked what brand of 45 i wanted. She then stopped and said sorry i shouldnt have assumed thats what u wanted. From now on im not going to worry about concealing my rights. Whatever im wearing that day will dictate how i carry. Just had to share that story .

Open carry is legal but not common in my part of Kansas. I have had only positive results with open carry, meaning everyone pretty much ignored it. I don't patronize establishments with "no guns" signs and haven't been stopped by any one in those I do frequent, possibly because it's mostly hardware and grocery stores.

For the last 20+ years, I use a De'Santis thumb break holster

Link Removed

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
Ed Stephan

I OC all the time 'cept @ work, including doing laundry, yard work, walking the dog. Here are some posts, too:

I personally open carry every day, the state I live in (Arizona) no longer has a concealed carry law which means you don't have to have a CCW to carry concealed, and personally I have not had a bad experience because the police tend to be nicer to me when then can see the firearm opposed to finding one later in the traffic stop....Nothing will stop me from open carry although I do tend to conceal when in a crowded area, although you can still see the gun underneath my shirt.

I know Im a little late to the discussion, but FWIW...

I Open Carry on an almost daily basis.
I have only had one or two occasions where someone said something negative. But 99% of the time I get positive feedback and even a few people tank me for OC'ing.

I personally open carry every day, the state I live in (Arizona) no longer has a concealed carry law which means you don't have to have a CCW to carry concealed, and personally I have not had a bad experience because the police tend to be nicer to me when then can see the firearm opposed to finding one later in the traffic stop....Nothing will stop me from open carry although I do tend to conceal when in a crowded area, although you can still see the gun underneath my shirt.
I don't conceal very well either. Hiding a Glock 22 in a serpa holster doesn't work very well, oops. If you can't OC, print very sarcastically.

I did twice and got cold feet. I was waiting for my permit to be finalized when I gave it a go. The reason I didn't continue is the young girl working at the pharmacy. I walked by her with my full frame SR9 visible and she was noticeably shaken at the sight of the gun. I had my 13 year old son with me and he was convinced the police were going to pull me over as he thought he saw her push a button under the counter. We made it home without a problem but the experience made me uncomfortable with open carry.

I did twice and got cold feet. I was waiting for my permit to be finalized when I gave it a go. The reason I didn't continue is the young girl working at the pharmacy. I walked by her with my full frame SR9 visible and she was noticeably shaken at the sight of the gun. I had my 13 year old son with me and he was convinced the police were going to pull me over as he thought he saw her push a button under the counter. We made it home without a problem but the experience made me uncomfortable with open carry.
Not sure which State you are in but...

According to a plain reading of the law below ...in Michigan possessing (carrying regardless of if CC or OC is a form of "possessing") a firearm (any firearm including long guns) on the premises (premises means the entire property including parking lot) of an establishment that has a liquor license is illegal unless a person meets one of the exemptions mentioned in the law... one of which is a carry permit.

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
-snip-
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
-snip-
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
-snip-
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
-snip-

Entire law can be read here:

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234d

So... basically... a plain reading of the law shows that without meeting one of the exemptions mentioned in the law carrying a gun, any gun carried in any manner, on the property of a business that has a liquor license (please note they don't even have to sell or have any booze on the shelf.. they just need to have the license) is... illegal.

Edited because I had the wrong section of the law quoted at first. My apologies.

Also adding... I am NOT an attorney.

Not sure which State you are in but...

According to a plain reading of the law below ...in Michigan possessing (carrying regardless of if CC or OC is a form of "possessing") a firearm (any firearm including long guns) on the premises (premises means the entire property including parking lot) of an establishment that has a liquor license is illegal unless a person meets one of the exemptions mentioned in the law... one of which is a carry permit.

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
-snip-
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
-snip-
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
-snip-
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
-snip-

Entire law can be read here:

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234d

So... basically... a plain reading of the law shows that without meeting one of the exemptions mentioned in the law carrying a gun, any gun carried in any manner, on the property of a business that has a liquor license (please note they don't even have to sell or have any booze on the shelf.. they just need to have the license) is... illegal.

Edited because I had the wrong section of the law quoted at first. My apologies.

Also adding... I am NOT an attorney.

I am in Colorado and no liquor is sold in a pharmacy. I assume that is what you are saying could be illegal by my carrying a gun on their property?

I am in Colorado and no liquor is sold in a pharmacy. I assume that is what you are saying could be illegal by my carrying a gun on their property?

I have no clue what Colorado's laws are and only wanted to give a heads up for how it works in Michigan. That is why I specified what I quoted was Michigan law concerning establishments... any establishment whether that be a pharmacy, grocery store, or even the corner gas station... that has a liquor license.

And I wanted to do that because folks from all different States read these forums and... sadly... not all of them are wise enough to realize that different States have different laws.

So even though I responded to your post... and you didn't specify any location/State... my intent was to present more information concerning open carry for those from Michigan who might read your post but not be aware of the liquor law thing... and think it is Ok to carry without having a permit in a pharmacy because many of the pharmacies in Michigan also have liquor licenses/sell booze.

I have no clue what Colorado's laws are and only wanted to give a heads up for how it works in Michigan. That is why I specified what I quoted was Michigan law concerning establishments... any establishment whether that be a pharmacy, grocery store, or even the corner gas station... that has a liquor license.

And I wanted to do that because folks from all different States read these forums and... sadly... not all of them are wise enough to realize that different States have different laws.

So even though I responded to your post... and you didn't specify any location/State... my intent was to present more information concerning open carry for those from Michigan who might read your post but not be aware of the liquor law thing... and think it is Ok to carry without having a permit in a pharmacy because many of the pharmacies in Michigan also have liquor licenses/sell booze.

Makes perfect sense.

Went on my first all-in OC errand run today. Social Security Administration, Buffalo Wild Wings, Walmart, Aldi's, Sam's Club. Only place I found friction was the SSA. They have no gun-busters on the outside doors, just the inside doors, which are plastered with all manner of *-busters: gun-buster, knife-buster, camera-buster, cell-phone-buster...

So, after walking up to the front door, I had to walk back and put my XDm-45 and 4" Winchester knife in the glovebox of my truck. Once I was inside, the "security" guard ("Deco" was on his shoulder patch) was sitting in the waiting area, nowhere near the front door, and was on my left as I stood in line for the teller windows. As such, all he could see was my dual magazine holster with one mag in it (still haven't bought two more 13-rnders). "Ma'am— Ma'am— You'll have to check your firearm over there..." I just turned to face him squarely and pointed to they empty holster on my right. He nodded and that was that. I guess the loaded mag that was on my left wasn't much of a threat to them without the gun it goes in. I find it curious that the SSA would allow someone to "check" a firearm in when INSIDE the gun-buster magical wards on the front doors.

Had an order of BWW's boneless wings with "Hot" sauce. It didn't disappoint. Also sampled their "Huckleberry-Lemonade". Was different. Not a word was said about the .45ACP hanging off my hip.

Walmart and Aldi's were pretty sedate affairs.

In Sam's, as I was contemplating the resolution of the cameras in turn-key video surveillance systems, not to mention contemplating their prices, a big guy in a blue polo came up with what looked like a clip board and seemed to be trying to chat me up. At first I took him for the manager tracking down the gun-wielding maniac (me looking intently at 16 MP digital cameras a moment before) some new panicky hoplophobe complained about. I tried to test his resolve to confront me by just sighing about the prices of the video surveillance systems and starting to slowly amble down the aisle. He was persistent enough to reinitiate contact, but it turned out he wasn't the manager and he couldn't care less about the .45 on my hip. He wanted to know about my TV service. He was a DirecTV wonk and just wanted to make his pitch. It wasn't bad. Certainly a better job than the lady who tried me a month ago, but it definitely made me shift more toward DirecTV than Dish at this point. After finally getting through his pitch and not committing, I did my shopping at Sam's, filled up the truck's gas tank at $3.749/gal out front, and came home.

The THPD officer who was brow beating me about OCing in my own backyard a couple of weeks ago told me with metaphysical certainty that if I OCed in Walmart that he will get a call. Apparently not.

Went on my first all-in OC errand run today. Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration is a Federal facility; firearms prohibited by 18 USC 930.

filled up the truck's gas tank at $3.749/gal out front, and came home.

I haven't seen $3.75/gal in at least 6 weeks! :frown:

The THPD officer who was brow beating me about OCing in my own backyard a couple of weeks ago told me with metaphysical certainty that if I OCed in Walmart that he will get a call. Apparently not.

A LEO blowing smoke to keep you from doing something that THEY don't like you doing?!? Say it isn't so....

I have no clue what Colorado's laws are and only wanted to give a heads up for how it works in Michigan.

To get things straight, it is NOT illegal to carry into a pharmacy or liquor store in Colorado.

I dont drink so I wasnt going to post anything about liquor stores. I thought it was legal but have no experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back