gun safeties

davcommander

I am about to start my search for my first CCW. I was told to avoid a certain brand of guns as the safety would not always remain on if the gun was dropped and in other settings. I do not remember which gun was being talked about nor the guy that told me that. Does anyone have any input into this?

I stopped carrying my Kimber Raptor because I never knew when and how the safety would release but it would.

There are others who have carried 1911's for years without a single incident. I started carrying my P45 for a week and same thing.

I love 1911's but I can't carry one, cocked anyway.

I carry a Sig P220 SAS or a Glock 30 now.

KK

i'm new to guns too and this video is a good on safeties on guns
welcome to the forum

enjoy and learn as i my self am doing being new to conceal carrying

Any confusion with the manipulation of the safety on a firearm can be a deadly mistake.. Brain is the primary safety. Trigger discipline is the key. Learn and practice it..

The only carry gun I carry with a manual safety, is my Colt Officer's ACP.. Both of the M&Ps I carry have no manual safety (other than the hinged trigger assembly).. All are carried with a round in the chamber ready to fire.. Become familiar with the firearm you choose to carry and practice with it regularly.. Dry fire practice with inert mock ammo is a good idea.. If you're still not sure or comfortable, seek training. Be safe...

I carry S&W revolvers or a Glock 23. My safety is my right index finger!

Agreed. For a carry gun internal safeties such as on a DA/SA decocker, or the internal drop safeties of a Glock, or a revolver with a trigger bar are ideal. You want your carry gun to be as simple and safe as possible. If you want a mechanical safety that's simple to operate look into the XD line with the grip safety.
Now don't take it as I'm knocking the 1911, SA cocked and locked method as I sometimes carry this, and it too is perfectly "safe". It just takes more getting used to and more practice and muscle memory to operate the mechanicals on the draw.
Ultimately your index finger is the last safety device you must train to operate properly.
I would avoid a carrying gun with a Mag safety. If you ever need to use it and you hit the mag release accidentally, or have a malfunction, you want the gun to fire even though there is no magazine inserted.

Hope that helps.

I almost never carry it anymore but never had issues with the safety of my Para 911. I mostly carry one of my M&Ps now and none have the external safeties.

I carry a Kahr CW45 acp. it has what\'s called a double action only safety. where the pistol does not fire until the trigger is pulled all the way back. It has no manual safety, therefore less mechanical buttons and levers to mess with when seconds count and You don\'t have much time to get your first shot off. So being aware of where your hands are, keeping your finger outside of the trigger guard and having a gun with the double action only (DAO) safety, would be my recommendation.

My main carry is my Glock 23. Safety? -- my booger finger off it unless I target practice or absolutely necessary, I have to stop a threat coming at me. My BUG is a Bersa Thunder 380. It has a manual safety but I never used it. 'Don't need to. I still practice everyday for an hour when at home. Practice is the key no matter how you want to carry your gun or how you carry it. As TIWheatley said, safeties are for the libs. It's the difference between that second or you're dead.:eek:

I too was concerned about this topic and I purchased a new S&W Shield 9mm with the thumb safety. I carry with one in the pipe and the thumb safety on. I also purchased the XDS this past weekend for an early Fathers Day present to myself and boy....that is some awesome weapon! I still have the Shield with a McCabe holster on the belt at this time vs the XDS based on the thumb safety option which works best for me.

I've been carrying a Smith & Wesson M&P that has no external safety or magazine disconnect. I haven't had a problem, biggest safety for guns that don't have external safeties, is your brain and knowing where your trigger finger is.

I am about to start my search for my first CCW. I was told to avoid a certain brand of guns as the safety would not always remain on if the gun was dropped and in other settings. I do not remember which gun was being talked about nor the guy that told me that. Does anyone have any input into this?
Mixed answers on this question. The old school folks and those who train use a 1911 for many reasons but it is not a good starter carry unless you train with it. Thus the popularity of Glocks ( I personally dislike them and it is one of the few firearms I do not own) they are "simple" are require little in the way of training IE you draw and put your finger on the trigger and squeeze to fire. The safety IS NOT a be all end all any trained person knows rule #1 for a reason the safety is there but NEVER depend on it to function as a 100 percent go bang preventative.

Lots of great options available. Took me a while to feel comfortable carrying a chambered round but I have no reservations about it now. I carry a LC9 and a Glock. Take your time and find the right gun/gear for your comfort level.

I carry a Para P-45 most of the time. I have had the safety brushed off one time in the last eight years that I have been carrying it. It has the ambi safety,so I'm sure I brushed against something that knocked the safety down. Did I worry about it? Not in the least. The firearm still will not fire until the grip safety is depressed,and the trigger pulled. As others have mentioned,the trigger finger is the most important safety of all. Control that,and your firearm is safe.

Research research research. Before any firearm purchase, go online, read about the firearm, download its manual and find about its specific safeties.

A lot of guns have a switch style safety, some don't. A revolver is a much different animal than a semi-automatic. And there are many different safety systems among semi-automatics.

Remember, you may possibly use this tool to save your life or the lives of loved ones. Always research before buying.

As for your general question which firearm to stay away from because it could go off if dropped... the only thing I can say to that is that there are manufacturers that have built in "drop safeties", the only one that I can think of right now is Glock. So, Glock would NOT be one to stay away from if this is a concern for you.

I carry a S+W Bodyguard 380 with the manual safety off. I am a lefty and the safety doesn't work with the left hand. This pistol has a long sorta heavy trigger pull that will keep it from going off if your finger isn't on the trigger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back